VOGONS

First post, by Gramcon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, been lurking for awhile, have hardly posted, but I'm confounded here, and you all seem to know your stuff:

I'm using 3dbench 1.0c to test a dual socket 8 system. Specs are:

Intel PR440fx motherboard
Dual P2 Overdrive 333mhz cpus
512mb RAM
SIS 6326 8mb PCI graphics card (I know, I know)

My score is only 157.1. In comparison, my Pentium 166 with 128mb gets 136.6. I booted from a floppy to run both tests. I really expected this socket 8 to be a beast running Windows NT. Instead, it's not really noteworthy, like a regular Pentium running Win95. Should I be using different benchmark software? Or am I just missing something obvious? Thanks for your help...

Reply 1 of 5, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You should get Fastvid. It's a DOS utility that configures some P6 chipset options to vastly improve PCI performance. In other words you are probably bus bottlenecked right now.

A P2OD 333 is vastly faster than a P166. If you need proof get a Voodoo3 and try playing Unreal on both systems. 😀 Unfortunately SMP does jack for old games though.

Reply 3 of 5, by Gramcon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll give Fastvid a shot. Not really playing games with this setup, mostly web browsing under WinNT. Opera 10 works pretty good. I tried Aida64, and it scored in line with what it should have -- like 2 points below a regular dual Pentium II 333. I'm good with that. Not sure why 3dbench scored it so low...thanks for the advice.

Reply 4 of 5, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think in NT the video drivers will take care of what Fastvid does in DOS. Maybe not all video drivers though.

You can also check the BIOS for options like USWC (uncacheable speculative write combining) and write posting . They can cause instability however.

Reply 5 of 5, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually I would expect a PII Overdrive to outperform a PII at the same clock speed and FSB due to fullspeed L2 cache. However, they used an LX system with SDRAM, so that may explain why yours still benchmarks slower.