VOGONS

First post, by Stull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just hooked up an Asus P3B-F 1.04 motherboard to a Seasonic SS-300ET power supply (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16817151086). The hardware monitor screen in BIOS is showing this:

SwiUbJ9.jpg

Should this be cause for concern? I know nothing about these things. 😕

Reply 1 of 6, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm maybe it's so high because there are no -5V devices in the computer?

If you have a Sound Blaster 2.0 you could see if the voltage changes.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 6, by ik777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I saw this post and thought they still producting ATX -5V power supplies. Nowaday power supplies didnt have -5v but +5vsb.
That SS-300ET doesnt seem to have -5v input what I saw the label showing in newegg. maybe the result is false too.

The real DC -5v in mainboard output is white cable.(AT or ATX, it same) Nowaday no brand product mainly have these DC -5V.
A retro system with a nowaday PSU and puting an ISA soundcard looks soundcard seemed to be dead. I recently finding usable PSUs
with -5v in my local junkyard.

http://www.racksolution.com/DOWNLOAD/pdf/ATX- … 125BTA-R300.pdf
You should find like this one for really get DC-5v.

Reply 3 of 6, by Stull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

If you have a Sound Blaster 2.0 you could see if the voltage changes.

Unfortunately I don't think I have any -5v devices to test with.

ik777 wrote:
I saw this post and thought they still producting ATX -5V power supplies. Nowaday power supplies didnt have -5v but +5vsb. That […]
Show full quote

I saw this post and thought they still producting ATX -5V power supplies. Nowaday power supplies didnt have -5v but +5vsb.
That SS-300ET doesnt seem to have -5v input what I saw the label showing in newegg. maybe the result is false too.

The real DC -5v in mainboard output is white cable.(AT or ATX, it same) Nowaday no brand product mainly have these DC -5V.
A retro system with a nowaday PSU and puting an ISA soundcard looks soundcard seemed to be dead. I recently finding usable PSUs
with -5v in my local junkyard.

http://www.racksolution.com/DOWNLOAD/pdf/ATX- … 125BTA-R300.pdf
You should find like this one for really get DC-5v.

Thanks for this. I was kind of afraid that this was the case. I wasn't really sure what +5vsb meant.

If I don't have any ISA devices that use -5v, is there any risk in continuing to use this power supply with this motherboard? I mean, everything seems OK, but I don't know if this might result in long-term damage somehow.

Reply 4 of 6, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Correct, it doesn't have a -5V. Any PSU that follows ATX revision 1.3 or greater will not have such a line, because it was removed from the ATX spec.

The hardware monitor is probably just confused since the voltage isn't present. Normally you'd think it'd just show 0V in such a situation, but for some reason it's more common for those things to spaz out and show random numbers instead.

It's nothing to worry about, in any case. If you don't have any devices that use the -5V (and you probably don't... or at least none that you'd want to use in a PIII system), then its absence will make no difference whatsoever.

Reply 5 of 6, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On many boards you can change the voltage reading to ignore. Then you don't get a warning at POST for example.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel