VOGONS

First post, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hai guys, yesterday a friend of mine dug out his old 80486 from his storage. It was used for accounting and stuff in one market.
The computer is functional and i took it apart and cleaned it.

Inside i found some Oak Technology video card - OTI087 /w 1MB of RAM, some shitty PIC hard drive and floppy controller, BTC 200W PSU, 4MB of 30pin simm RAM memory and of course an model less motherboard with Symphony chipset and VLB bus.

The motherboard houses an Intel 80468 DX - 33 CPU.
It has an additional slot for an CO CPU, 8 ISA 16B slots with 2 VLB slots, 8 RAM slots and can support up to 1MB of cache memory. Currently it has 256kB installed running at 15ns.

Major chips are:

Symphony SL82C362
Symphony SL82C461
Symphony SL82C465

It says it is made in USA.
Can anybody tell me more about this board? Its similar to my UM motherboard.

Here is a picture (Sorry for crappy quality, my camera battery chargers magic smoke escaped 😀 ) :

Filename
Image001.jpg
File size
290.23 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File comment
2MP Nokia 3300
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 2 of 18, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Awesome! 😁

Is the board any good in your opinion?
I see it supports DX2, my DX2 66 will probably work better than in the UM486 board.

Re: UM486/UM486SX need manual / question

Reply 3 of 18, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Its a typical generic VLB motherboard from 1992ish. Nothing special. 5v only, no power management and no Pentium Overdrive support. Likely only supports write through mode L2 cache too.

Reply 4 of 18, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I did find on vogons that Symphony chip isn't so common, but it packs a neat punch.

Any way to test it for features / stability?
I have Trident VGUI 9400CXi VLB.

Reply 5 of 18, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmm that dallas clock / battery thing is a double edged sword. One the one hand it probably saved it from an acid attack, and on the other now you're stuck with a dead battery. I don't see an external battery header mentioned on stason - can you see one on the board?

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 6 of 18, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's a good chance that the Dallas battery on that board is socketted, so you should be able to change it easily with a replacement if that's the c ase.

I once owned this board, but there was something wrong and I couldn't get it to post. I ended up having to toss it while I was downsizing, which is too bad because I've always wanted to play with a Symphony VLB motherboard as I always liked my ISA only Symphony board.
There actually is one thing very unusual about this board, it supports 1024kb cache. This must have been one of the first boards to do so as it still has a 487 overdrive socket.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 7 of 18, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Dallas battery, or Symphony SL1287 as it says on it is indeed socketed and I've just removed it.
It also says on the chip when you turn it upside down: 302AACP Philippines

I don't have 128kB cache modules to test it out.
Can you suggest me a way to test its stability? I can use my SCSI controller for hard drives.

Reply 8 of 18, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Using a DMA SCSI controller under a 32-bit OS is always a good way to test for stability. If your SCSI card is VLB I'm not sure I'd bother as those were always problematic cards to begin with.

I've heard that running a program called memtest also works pretty well. You might want to look into that.

Reply 10 of 18, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

pics?

Reply 11 of 18, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hehe I store my motherboards at the bottom of a a few storage containers but I managed to get it out...

I have never used this board but I've had it a long time.

486-ISA Symphony motherboard

20130815_154225.jpg

20130815_154234.jpg

20130815_154354.jpg

Last edited by rgart on 2016-04-21, 09:13. Edited 1 time in total.

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 12 of 18, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah, interesting. It doesn't have VLB, so it's nearly the same as my DTK PKM 0031Y except that it has a 4167 socket instead of a P23T socket, and it's made by Asus. I didn't know Asus made any bords that used this chipset.

Reply 13 of 18, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cool board 😁

Mine SCSI Controller is Adaptec AHA - 1542B , 16BIT ISA SCSI and Floppy controller.
I have many different SCSI drives and IDE drives. But i don't have a good IDE controller.
I can use my IBM UltraStar to do this test.

Can you inform me a little more, I haven't done an system stress test on old PCs before.

Reply 14 of 18, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The 1542B may not be the best card for the job. I've never actually owned that particular model (I have 1542C, 1540C, 1542CP) but I have seen reports of compatibility issues with the 1542B cards. I guess some of the problems may have been fixed through BIOS updates. Those cards are too old to use flash BIOSes of course.

None the less, if you really want to stress the system you should try to install and run a true 32-bit OS on it (like NT or Linux). Try running some time demos, or some DOS games that use 32-bit extenders that really push the CPU. Try to run a SCSI card with DMA enabled and the ASPI drivers loaded while you're doing all this. I think you should probably install and run MEMTEST first though. I would also hold off on tweaking your BIOS settings until you can establish stability at conservative memory timings.

Reply 15 of 18, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I ran some benchmarks on my Symphony 486 board. Mine has pretty impressive uncached memory performance. With a Cyrix 5x86, I get 42MB/sec at 3x33MHz. That's pretty bloody impressive for an ISA only board. Windows 3.1 offers a pretty nice experience with Mach64 and Cyrix 5x86 installed.

Reply 17 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you have some time please download the benchmarks and submit the scores into the benchmark database:

Phil's Ultimate VGA Benchmark Database Project

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel