Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 2500 of 53064, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

Well, worst case, what you could do is just plug a regular non-MMX Pentium chip into it and take a multimeter to the relevant voltage pins... figure out the settings that way. One of those chips can handle the maximum voltage the board can put out, and likewise, lower voltages won't hurt it at all (it probably won't boot at low voltages, of course, but you can still measure the voltage even if it doesn't POST).

Most of those Pentium MMX chips are pretty tolerant of being slightly overvolted. People have been putting them in older motherboards without a socket interposer for a long time with only a very few meeting a premature demise. Most of the time when you find one that can't tolerate it, it simply won't boot rather than instantly burning up and if it does burn up its usually a long, slow burn so you can potentially get years of use out of it before it finally gives up and at this stage there's probably a lot of those older chips that are nearing the end of their useful life and would have stopped working eventually anyway so you really have nothing to lose.

Reply 2502 of 53064, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did someone here at Vogons buy this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Compaq-Ultra-Sound-32 … =p2047675.l2557

Supposed to be a GUS clone. I wonder if it actually sounds like a real GUS.

Reply 2504 of 53064, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Artex wrote:

Trying this out.. Presenting all of my items via SkyDrive.

http://sdrv.ms/158U1ZN

Kinda slow on my end

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2505 of 53064, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:
Artex wrote:

Trying this out.. Presenting all of my items via SkyDrive.

http://sdrv.ms/158U1ZN

Kinda slow on my end

There's a lot of stuff and the default view is thumbnails. You should be able to change to a list view using the right-hand side toolbar.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 2507 of 53064, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Weird. I didn't know they shipped the SB2.0 in the old style box.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2509 of 53064, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

gb_s.jpg

Recent local thrift shop find. It's missing the software disks/diskettes, but is otherwise complete. I can't complain too much, given the bank-breaking $5.00 price tag.

I hardly need another Game Blaster card though. Anyone have a Covox Sound Master for trade...? 😉

Reply 2510 of 53064, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cloudschatze wrote:

Recent local thrift shop find. It's missing the software disks/diskettes, but is otherwise complete. I can't complain too much, given the bank-breaking $5.00 price tag.

I hardly need another Game Blaster card though. Anyone have a Covox Sound Master for trade...? 😉

Damn - my local thrift shops suck. Never find any decent computer stuff.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 2511 of 53064, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hardly need another Game Blaster card though. Anyone have a Covox Sound Master for trade...?

I've got a boxed covox sound master 2 but I already have a boxed game blaster and creative music system... :p

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 2513 of 53064, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Aww, I see I missed the discussion about speakers.. One of my favourite subjects. Well anyway here are some pictures of my setup, of which I'm sure I posted here before:
Speakers: http://imageshack.us/a/img829/6569/img4058x.jpg
Amplifiers: http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/489/img4056x.jpg
The pictures are rather dim, sorry about that. I took these at night under only a 40W bulb and two halogen spots.
I'll save you the long list of tech specs and other details. If anyone's interested in that stuff, just ask.

I also got a pair of Bose 301-series II speakers recently. I'd say they sound pretty good. "Pretty" is the right word. Not particularly "clear" or "detailed" or anything. The bass response is quite amazing for such small speakers, and on the Yamaha amp they are LOUD! I guess about as loud as all my other speakers combined.

Yet... ever since I got a good pair of open headphones I rarely use the speakers anymore.

Anyway, back on topic. Although I've been inactive here for a few months I did acquire some old gear in the meantime:

10p7.jpg

Thrustmaster X-Fighter gameport joystick. 4-button with POV hat. This thing is HUGE! Usable range is a circle instead of a square, haven't seen that before. After cleaning and filling it up with silicone grease it worked fine, though the spring is rather stiff. Win2K won't detect the hat and can only see one button press at once, apparently I need to copy some drivers over from 9x or XP.

9nrc.jpg

Commodore 64, first model, with Power Cartridge, two joysticks (made in Rotterdam 🤣) and three cassette boxes full of (mostly pirated) games. Came with two user manuals, programming manual, schematics and assembly programming tutorial. Also included some homemade white box with two cassette drive connectors. No idea what it does.

vivn.jpg

ppzs.jpg

ICL (Olivetti?) ErgoLITE N4/25 laptop, in original suitcase, with AC adaptor and user manual. Specs are: 486SX-25, 8MB RAM, 120MB hard drive, 640x480 LCD (monochrome, 64 shades), no sound. CMOS battery and normal battery are both dead, as expected. Which means it won't boot from HDD.
As you can tell from the specs it's pretty much useless. But seeing the €10 price tag I just couldn't leave it at the thrift store. Don't know what to do with it, my other laptop is a million times better and I haven't even found a use for that thing.

Other than that, I got a few graphics and sound cards, including an ALS100 card with an obviously fake OPL3. I'll have to test that one.

Reply 2514 of 53064, by CHiLL72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Lately I've extended my collection with the following:
- Orchid Wave Booster 4FX daughterboard
- Yamaha DB50XG daughterboard
- 2 brand new Yamaha DB51XG daughterboards
- Yamaha MU80
- Complete boxed Roland SC-55
- Roland MT-32 (which will be traded soon)
- Roland SC-7
- Roland SCB-55
- and a Roland SC-88 will be here tomorrow.

And the search goes on.... 😀

Waveblaster MIDI boards: https://waveblaster.nl - online now!

Reply 2515 of 53064, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This IBM Model M2 came with a PS/1 I bought a while back, and I’ve only just looked at it now. I noticed at the time that some keys didn’t click, and I assumed this was because the buckle spring mechanism was broken, but in most cases it was just a case of popping the key off and correctly engaging the spring in the underside of the key.

I decided to pull it all apart and give it a good clean, and although putting it all back together was tricker than expected, it was worth the effort. It’s a nice keyboard but not as solid as the Model M, and not quite as nice to use either.

IMG_4303_zpsc7e475d1.jpg

IMG_4306_zps5f46a234.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2516 of 53064, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Half life generations (retail cd) $3
Vantec Iceberge4 $7

Non retro stuff
Dell Latitude D620 for $20 (working)
Clevo M860TU for $30 (unknown if working or brick)

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 2519 of 53064, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ATI Rage Fury MAXX (2 x ATI Rage 128 Pro) (109-67300-00) 64MB AGP (1999)

8yvh.jpg

Creative CT1300A (Creative Music System) (Boxed) (1988)

xyhn.jpg
fevz.jpg
mvvz.jpg
3irg.jpg
1kq7.jpg

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe NForce4 Socket 939 with AMD Athlon X2 4800+ 2.4Ghz (Toledo) - great board for its time! The 4800 X2 939 2MB Toledos were great dual core procs.

d4ff.jpg
3sel.jpg
e4ij.jpg

AMD Athlon X2 4400+ ADA4400CDBOX Socket 939 2.2Ghz (Toledo)
zh1b.jpg
m9zn.jpg

Rendition Vérité V1000L-P - Creative CT6260 3D Blaster PCI 4MB (1997)
7s1r.jpg

Roland CM-500 - great deal on this one, especially for how pristine it is! Anyone ever use Retr0brite on Roland plastics?
56tb.jpg
br3v.jpg

LihnlZ.jpg