VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 2540 of 53027, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A Hollywood Plus wih the vga/s-video cable.

Another Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.

A Tyan Tiger MPX s2466n, dual-athlon board with twin 2.8mps and 1gb ram. It stinks like a chemical bonfire so I've slung it in the shed for now. 😵

An Asus P5Nsli that was doa - refunded.

Also bought one of these a while ago - cooler master testbench.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php … d=2362&catid=29

Reply 2541 of 53027, by SiliconClassics

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
badmojo wrote:

The title doesn't say it has to be computer hardware... I discovered recently that Tamiya have re-released some of their classic kit cars, and my inner child insisted that I buy him the Hornet that Santa never left under the tree.

Wow, this brings back memories. I was one of those 80's children who got a Hornet (cost about $300 at the time), making me one of the first on my block to have an R/C car. Had a Cox radio controller (the neighborhood kids wasted no time in making fun of that brand name). I beat the piss out of it and was amazed at how rugged it was - you really couldn't kill the thing. Even the rechargeable batteries survived years of abuse. The other kids on my block eventually got Grasshoppers and Foxes and Lunchboxes and other more impressive R/C cars, but I will always have fond memories of jumping my Hornet off plywood ramps and running it through dirt lots.

IMHO, an R/C car and a BB gun are mandatory staples of any young American male childhood.

Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+

Reply 2542 of 53027, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
senrew wrote:

AWE64 Gold

Came out to just under $20 with shipping. Have the prices come down, or did I just luck out with good timing?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130987710168?ssPageNa … 984.m1439.l2649

That's a good deal. Very good, in fact.

Is the seller from Vogons?

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 2543 of 53027, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seller's name was Jazy5505. I have no idea if that's a vogoner or not. If it is...speak up.

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 2544 of 53027, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No pictures at the moment, I'll add something later.

Stopped by the thrift store where I picked up that Acer machine a couple months ago. Today was 50% off on electronics so I figured let's take a look.

There were several older PCs, mostly P4 era which is what I've been looking for as I'm in need of an XP machine for a few troublesome games. There was a really nice XPS Gen 4 there, but it had been gutted, no drives, no video card. Should have taken the Audigy2 ZS that was in it but meh. They wanted $50 AFTER discount for the case and it was beat to hell so I left it.

Sitting right next to it was a black antec case. This thrift store wraps some of their PCs with packaging tape so that people can't open them and steal parts like I assume is what happened to the XPS. This machine had 2 video cards, some kind of TV card and a couple of SATA hot swap bays in the 5.25" bays so I said screw it. If nothing else the case is pretty decent and I do need another case. Price was $40, which came to $20 after the discount so out the door I went.

Got it home, opened her up and this is what I found:
The case is some black Antec design something. Pics will come soon.
ASUS P4C800
ASUS BasiqPower 350w power supply
P4 2.8 w/HT
2GB RAM
2 Radeon 7000s, one AGP, one PCI (Both going in the trash most likely)
Hauppauge WinTV
some ethernet card

The SATA drive bays are pretty nice. The machine booted up right away, I was able to play around in the BIOS some. I'm going to drop my BFG Geforce 7800 GS OC card into this thing, a sata hard drive and call it done as an XP machine for now. This will let me play KOTOR and a few others that don't behave nicely on my Win8x64 laptop. Maybe I'll find an X-FI Titanium HD to drop in here and fill it out nicely.

Not bad for $20?

Reply 2546 of 53027, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SiliconClassics wrote:

Wow, this brings back memories. I was one of those 80's children who got a Hornet (cost about $300 at the time), making me one of the first on my block to have an R/C car. Had a Cox radio controller (the neighborhood kids wasted no time in making fun of that brand name). I beat the piss out of it and was amazed at how rugged it was - you really couldn't kill the thing. Even the rechargeable batteries survived years of abuse. The other kids on my block eventually got Grasshoppers and Foxes and Lunchboxes and other more impressive R/C cars, but I will always have fond memories of jumping my Hornet off plywood ramps and running it through dirt lots.

IMHO, an R/C car and a BB gun are mandatory staples of any young American male childhood.

I've started building it and I'm impressed with the quality of it, and the complexity. I know this is one of the easier kits but there's lots of small intricate parts, most of which would render the whole thing useless if they went missing. I'm assuming most kids had help putting these bad boys together.

RC cars, BB guns, BMX's, and video games. That sums up my Australian 80's childhood too.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2547 of 53027, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Keep the PCI one at least. Those are very handy cards to have around... decently fast for a PCI card, and they'll work with just about anything (including old Macs and Sun machines, with a BIOS flash).

Reply 2548 of 53027, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

Keep the PCI one at least. Those are very handy cards to have around... decently fast for a PCI card, and they'll work with just about anything (including old Macs and Sun machines, with a BIOS flash).

I might just do that. I have a buddy who is always looking for flashable video cards for his old mac habit.

BTW, I managed to match up the case with pictures online. It's an Antec Sonata. At first I thought someone had given the thing a bad paint job, but it turns out this thing was meant to look like a grand piano with the glossy black lustre it's got.

It's missing the front drive cover, and I'll need some rails/holders to permanently mount a hard drive. The SATA bays don't seem to be rocognized by the onboard sata controllers, but if I plug a hard drive directly to the board, it sees it just fine.

Oh well. Still, a pretty sweet system for $20. XP is installed and everything seems to be working beautifully.

Reply 2549 of 53027, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I happened to be browsing eBay when these were being listed, NIB CPU's for ~15 bucks each (the Pro was 30). I got a little bit overexcited I must admit but I do like stuff new in boxes, and they'll come in handy for trading I'm sure.

The real prize for me was the DX266 - probably not a big deal for most people but I have a thing for these!

cpu7_zps0cb19760.jpg

cpu6_zpsff3e5b8b.jpg

cpu8_zps302c339e.jpg

cpu4_zpsae171595.jpg

cpu2_zpsb559831e.jpg

cpu1_zps5aef9c74.jpg

cpu3_zps35ab946d.jpg

cpu5_zpse926a041.jpg

Reply 2550 of 53027, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How is it possible to find these sealed? They had a ton of value back in the day...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2551 of 53027, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

How is it possible to find these sealed? They had a ton of value back in the day...

It's a guy from CPU world selling them, so I guess he collected them at the right time. Nice bloke and seems trustworthy, but it's still going to be hard to resist opening the DX2 to check that it's actually in there 🤣

Reply 2552 of 53027, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's not exactly a DX2...it's a DX2 overdrive. There is a very slight difference.

I still don't understand how you got those things so cheap. These weren't from the poor guy trying to pay his hospital bills were they?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2553 of 53027, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote:

It's not exactly a DX2...it's a DX2 overdrive. There is a very slight difference.

I still don't understand how you got those things so cheap. These weren't from the poor guy trying to pay his hospital bills were they?

Sorry yes, overdrive. I had one as a lad, hence the attraction.

Hospital bills ey... he did say he was selling for health reasons. Oh dear. He could have sold them for more though so that doesn't make sense, I just assumed he wanted rid of them in a hurry.

Reply 2554 of 53027, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

gb75_zps55dc488c.jpg

I mustve got this from the same seller as bad mojo, Hmm lets see BIN for $17.50 or make an offer? someone made an offer hope they're feeling a bit silly now after I swooped in!(unless it was badmojo).

Im gonna try and run this at 120mhz and see what happens.

Reply 2555 of 53027, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice 586! Yeah same seller I think, he had a couple of those 586 type things but I'd spent enough money for one day.

In other news, I was gifted this Commodore 128D recently; not a machine I see around these parts very often. It was a bit dirty, the keyboard in particular, but is in excellent condition and looks to have had only light use. After some TLC it came up like new and works like a charm.

Like most people did, I'll be using the C64 side of it's brain for the most part. I have a 1541 Ultimate II on the way so having this thing, with it's built in disk drive, decent keyboard, and much safer PSU (compared to the C64) will be a great combination with the 1541U.

I must have done something right in a former life.

IMG_4379_zps224b8d1d.jpg

IMG_4369_zpsb0aaa19a.jpg

IMG_4389_zpsd179ea80.jpg

Reply 2556 of 53027, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What kind of CPU is on that GB586-75? Is it Cyrix?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2557 of 53027, by Stull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought a S370 Celeron 300A because...I have no idea. I wanted the slowest S370 Celeron?

Also, it's brand new but it has a retro feel (especially with the open keys):

ITzW1Axl.jpg

Corsair K65 (has Cherry MX Reds). Putting the "board" back in keyboard. I couldn't care less about the gamer aspect of it; I just wanted a decent mechanical keyboard without a numeric keypad for ergonomic reasons (allows my right arm to be parallel with my left when computing, since I can position my mouse closer to center).

Reply 2558 of 53027, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stull wrote:

I bought a S370 Celeron 300A because...I have no idea. I wanted the slowest S370 Celeron?

...and the coolest Celeron ever too. Inexpensive, with an easy frequency OC @ 450 it was 'da bomb' back in the day...

Reply 2559 of 53027, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

True enough, but most people who had the 300A got the Slot1 version. I didn't even know there was a S370 variant of it... it must be a fairly rare chip.