VOGONS

First post, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did the due process with searching but couldn't find a list of any kind for this so...

Are there any Windows Glide games that will not run on a Voodoo5? I know that Mech2 3dfx doesn't run on anything but a v1 or v2 with tweaks for example.

I just picked up a voodoo5 and will be putting it into the p3 machine in my sig and just using that as my general Win98 machine. With the v5 it will also double as a Glide machine so I've got my bases covered.

So, are there any others?

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 3 of 14, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All Glide 2.1.1 (glide.dll, sst1init.dll) games. Cybergladiators, Mechwarrior 2: 31st Century Combat 3dfx (OEM), Pandemonium!, Scorched Planet. Two more games (Outlaws (patch 1.1) and Pod) are using glide.dll too, but a glide2x.dll support was added in later patches. All others Windows Glide games theoretically must work with Voodoo5 (maybe with tweaks).
Another trouble is a detecton (EA titles mostly), but it fail sometimes even with a real Voodoo2.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 4 of 14, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I take it those limitations would apply to V3 and Banshee too?

Vanilla Unreal actually won't run on V3 out of the box, at least it didn't for me. Not sure at which exact version support was added.

Reply 5 of 14, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Three off the top of my head:

Hind 3dfx patch [DID]: V1 or V2 only for me so far. *Can* get it running with a lot of effort on a modern system with glide wrapper but retro box = easy 😀

Apache Longbow 3dfx patch [DID]: ditto

EF-2000 V2 3dfx [DID]: runs best V1 and V2 w/ V1 environmentals. *Can* be made to run on later boards with some fussing but I always experience major graphic issues, but retro box = easy...

Reply 6 of 14, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

not sure about Voodoo 5, but one game Ive had issues with is EA's Nuclear Strike, the game will run on my Voodoo 3 , but after the first in game video the graphics glitch up and the game loses all of its textures.

not sure if its a software or hardware issue, but if it happens on a V3 , it most likely happens on a V5 too.

Reply 7 of 14, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tincup wrote:

Three off the top of my head:

Hind 3dfx patch [DID]: V1 or V2 only for me so far. *Can* get it running with a lot of effort on a modern system with glide wrapper but retro box = easy 😀

nGlide author might be interested in your methods, AFAIK he has tried and failed to get Hind working repeatedly, unless I misunderstand.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 8 of 14, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah. This game isn't working even with a real Voodoo2. With and w/o the official v2 patch. Black screen in a simulation.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 9 of 14, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gamecollector wrote:

Yeah. This game isn't working even with a real Voodoo2. With and w/o the official v2 patch. Black screen in a simulation.

Yes, it's a bit of work. First off you need the Lepus patch, and the 'commons' folder to copy into the Hind install. These were, or used to be, available at a few dedicated fan sites. Lepus patches the exe and replaces files in a bunch in the root folders. The 'commons' folder replaces the graphics folder shared by both Hind and Apache Longbow. Sorry I can't be more technical/specific right now but it's been a few years - and since my install runs I haven't had the need to refresh my recollection for some time.

Yet even assuming you get it running, exiting the game involves a trick Alt Tab/Diminish/End Program type of routine done just the right way or the app locks. V1 no issues and less problem with a V2 system, but I managed it get it running on an XP rig with a wrapper, DGVoodoo v1.4 I think, but needed it a lot of fussing to the wrapper settings. Again sorry for lack of specifics - I'll try to track down my game log notes...

There was a very helpful site/thread I used to get Hind rolling- I'll post a link when I can find it. For now running nicely on my V2 SLI P-3/933 rig.

BIG EDIT: found notes - sequence as follows
Install
version 1.2 3dfx patch
Lepus Hind.exe patch
2008 patch
Zeckensack's glide wrapper: try hi-res, render thread
Exit Mission: Ctrl+Q, then type "Y", go to a black screen, hit Win key, then renter game
Exit Game: Ctrl+Alt+Del in next to last exit screen [trial/error to find it], or return to 640 desktop

A link:
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3437348/12.html

EDIT 2:
Also, let the narrator complete his spiel before launching a Training mission or you go to black screen!

Last edited by tincup on 2013-10-11, 05:06. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 11 of 14, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here's a full write-up on Hind:
http://digitality.comyr.com/flyboy/hind/

Note that their gaming scene still seems to recommend older wrappers (dgVoodoo 1.x and Zeckensack), don't know why.

Stiletto

Reply 12 of 14, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:

Here's a full write-up on Hind:
http://digitality.comyr.com/flyboy/hind/

Note that their gaming scene still seems to recommend older wrappers (dgVoodoo 1.x and Zeckensack), don't know why.

Thanks for the fresh link to Ziggy's full write up Stiletto. Ziggy was posting in the simhq thread I linked to in my earlier post. But the new link rounds out the install/run process step by step pretty clearly, except that I continued to experience Quit Game lockups unless O follow the procedure I outlined in my earlier post.

Why dgV1.x/Zeck wrappers still? I wasn't able to get 3dfx running with anything other than those so that's probably the reason. But that was only my own experience, and while it may be typical, YMMV.

Thee screens Ziggy posts are very nice and a testament to the enduring allure of early glide/3D. With the exception of complex ground cover graphics and a screen res high enough to really discern fine detail/bogies/instrument panel readings - you have all the essential for a great sim experience.

Reply 13 of 14, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tincup wrote:

Why dgV1.x/Zeck wrappers still? I wasn't able to get 3dfx running with anything other than those so that's probably the reason. But that was only my own experience, and while it may be typical, YMMV.

I find it hard to believe. nGlide's compatibility list is rather monstrous: http://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/nglide/compatibility
There really hasn't been any other wrapper tested to that extent. It's packaged with a lot of Glide games on GOG.com by default, if I recall correctly, and it wraps to DX9, which most everyone should be using compatible cards by now. Unless you're using a retro rig like some others here, or required to use OpenGL on Linux or something...

Of course, someday I hope people resume compatibility-testing the newer wrappers so that the scene has a "finished" wrapper, but I expect dgVoodoo 2 and nGlide are rather close. They're also closed-source and only support DX9 or even DX11 in dgVoodoo's case, but whatcha gonna do. OpenGlide's been fairly dead for a while, and there's more that could be done there...

This is a philosophy thing but this is a lot like MAME/MESS and other emulators though: in wrapper terminology, do you use simply what works, or do you continue to improve accuracy, such as using shaders like leileilol's that offer similar-to-Voodoo filtering? Or do you target "better than real life" to handle huge resolutions and OMGWTFBBQ-anti aliasing and the like? or continue improving accuracy down to the metal, like the Voodoo emulation in DOSBox and so on? Most gamers settle for "good enough", find what works for them, and never continue the quest. And, well, I can't speak for others but I'm never quite satisfied with the status quo... 😀

Stiletto

Reply 14 of 14, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All I can say is that HIND *is* fussy... I'm no authority but I'd say it has something to do with the 3DFX/Glide patch being issued *after* initial release coupled with the furious pace of glide hardware development at that particular time; the V1/V2 cross-over era. Though HIND is hardly unique in being patched after release, that it's tricky enough to install the patch successfully on a period correct system may be telling us something...

Have you taken a stab at HIND yourself?