VOGONS

First post, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm currently having an extra part time job taking care of a closed down computer center. Alot of harddrives has to be low level formatted so they can be sold/discarded.

Most of the hardware is from 2000-2005.

So far none of the SCSI disks have had any problems, but the main issue is that S-ATA disks have a much lower failure rate than IDE drives. I'm talking about the late generation IDE drives, 160GB+. Of a bunch of 40 drives about 20% did not work or had bad sectors. Of the S-ATA drives the failure rate were about 5%.

S-ATA controlles are "better" on the drives and lets them live longer? The mechanical parts inside the drives should be more or less the same tbh.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 1 of 6, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How does make and model stack up with the rates you are seeing?

I can't imagine that the interface affects failure rate though. There is probably some other variable at work.

Reply 2 of 6, by Samir

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

SCSI drives were always rock solid. 😀

IDE drives got cheaper during that whole 120gb-250gb time period. Of the handful I have, I think about 20% have had issues as well, so it seems like par for the course.

SATA came after what seemed like the problem times of IDE was over (500gb+), so the hardware technology was a lot more robust I guess.

I bet you can create a whole bunch of retro gaming machines and sell them off one by one. 😉

Reply 3 of 6, by CwF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Every non-scsi drive I've brought up to 10,000' altitude starts to loose sectors within months. I've lost 5, 4 IDE. My last sata 1T seagate held on for a few years simply due to size and my monitoring and exceeded spares in August. The replacement is in and I did not spin or prep it until it was up here and sat for awhile. The OS is on SSD and so far so good. My scsi record is 2 failed out of 30 or so, and maybe 5 reported some grown sectors. Most were in arrays.

I used to know what I was doing...

Reply 4 of 6, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hard drives definitely have mechanical problems at very high altitudes.

Reply 5 of 6, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^ Yep, the thin air at altitude is bad medicine for HDD floating heads.

pressure_altitude.jpg

Let the air flow!

Reply 6 of 6, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FIrst generation SATA drives were actually PATA with an integrated adapter for the most part. I recall high failure rates when drives passed the 80GB mark, but improved after reaching around 250GB a few years later (2003-05). I have encountered quite a few SATA drive failures, mostly 2nd generation Western Digital Blue units in the 250-320GB size over the years.