VOGONS

486 Laptop Power Jack

Topic actions

First post, by Varadust

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi folks

I recently picked up what I think is a 25mhz 486 laptop, but I haven't been able to power it on yet. It seems to have a proprietary power jack that I can't as yet identify.

versajack.JPG

The laptop itself is a NEC Versa Ultralite (a name NEC seems to have reused about 10 years ago) and uses 13.5V DC & 1.7A. Any information on the jack type or tracking down a power pack would be much appreciated.

Thanks 😀

Reply 1 of 6, by totalizator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've found this NEC listed on my local online auctions portal so here is the photo of an adaptor:

Reply 2 of 6, by Samir

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You might be able to track down an original or aftermarket power adapter on the Internet via some computer surplus sites. The other thing you might be able to do is track down a service manual for the laptop, which should have the pin out and voltages for you to adapt something.

Reply 3 of 6, by totalizator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Samir wrote:

[...] The other thing you might be able to do is track down a service manual for the laptop, which should have the pin out and voltages for you to adapt something.

The photo I've uploaded (post above) includes the pinout.

Reply 4 of 6, by Samir

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
totalizator wrote:

The photo I've uploaded (post above) includes the pinout.

Oh sorry, I missed that.

I did some quick searches on the NEC model number on that power supply and it seems they're pretty readily available. 😀 Being that they are made in Japan, they are probably still working fine, even today. I'd just buy one of those if it's feasible.

Reply 5 of 6, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

it looks almost like the older dell and IBM connectors, maybe those will fit? if so, then you maybe able to gank a part from a dead board

Reply 6 of 6, by Samir

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheMAN wrote:

it looks almost like the older dell and IBM connectors, maybe those will fit? if so, then you maybe able to gank a part from a dead board

Wait, is he needing the jack or the power adapter? 😕