VOGONS

First post, by b_rros

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi!

I was able to get my hands on a Pentium II machine. I was told that the power button wasn't working right, and after a few attempts to turn the machine on the PSU exploded with a big BANG! 😀 Right now I can't turn on the PC because I don't have any PSU available.

Inside of the box I found

- Texas Micro TI6NL board, with 5 PCI slots, 2 ISA and 1 AGP
- Pentium 2 MMX 233MHz
- Quantum Bigfoot 4 GB hard drive
- S3 Virge/DX video card with 4 MB of memory
- Atech network card
- A 1868F ESS sound card

I was trying to build a machine to play Half Life and Quake 2 here I just bought my first retro computer but the Voodoo I was able to get didn't work so I was thinking that I could use this PC to play those games. For the other build I got an AWE64 Gold that will replace this ESS card, and I got a Matrox Mystique 220 video card that I don't know if I should use to replace the S3, is it worth it?

After that I would like to get my hands on a 3dfx card, to play Half Life and some glide games. So, should I get a Voodoo PCI or should I just use the AGP slot in this motherboard and buy an AGP Voodoo card that are cheaper and much more easy to find?

Here are the photos:

c463.jpg 1vyj.jpg epud.jpg lvga.jpg m4gy.jpg 3aul.jpg u9t6.jpg 1msr.jpg 45r4.jpg

Hugs
Barros

Reply 2 of 15, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I second that and the demand for them is low so there is very little competition. The cooling isn't great so a little fan will go a long way, the V3 3K has the better stock cooler and is clocked higher than the 2K that has the tiny cooler.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 4 of 15, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Get the Voodoo 3 2000.

The Banshee is also a good card but not as fast.

Not that it matters with a 233 mhz CPU but in case you get something faster in the future.
Your Intel LX board would probably accept Coppermine Celerons 533 - 766 mhz using a FC-PGA Slotket.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 5 of 15, by b_rros

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Skyscraper wrote:
Get the Voodoo 3 2000. […]
Show full quote

Get the Voodoo 3 2000.

The Banshee is also a good card but not as fast.

Not that it matters with a 233 mhz CPU but in case you get something faster in the future.
Your Intel LX board would probably accept Coppermine Celerons 533 - 766 mhz using a FC-PGA Slotket.

For what I read here http://texas-micro.industrialpartner.com/sing … oards/ti6nl.htm, pentium 2 333 MHz is the maximum this motherboard supports. And I do have a pentium 3 with a ASUS CUSL2 motherboard if I ever need something faster : )
I will try to get the Voodoo 3.

Reply 6 of 15, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Intel Mendocino Celerons 300 - 533 MHz should work? if the Coppermine ones will not.
A 466 - 533 mhz Celeron is good match for a Voodoo 3 if you ever feel the need for more speed.

If you have some sort of 3DFX Card in your FC-PGA Pentium 3 you could of course use that system for games that use glide and need more power (Unreal).
But if this Pentium 2 system will be your only system with a Voodoo card then upgrading the CPU is a good idea.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 7 of 15, by b_rros

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Skyscraper wrote:
Intel Mendocino Celerons 300 - 533 MHz should work? if the Coppermine ones will not. A 466 - 533 mhz Celeron is good match for a […]
Show full quote

Intel Mendocino Celerons 300 - 533 MHz should work? if the Coppermine ones will not.
A 466 - 533 mhz Celeron is good match for a Voodoo 3 if you ever feel the need for more speed.

If you have some sort of 3DFX Card in your FC-PGA Pentium 3 you could of course use that system for games that use glide and need more power (Unreal).
But if this Pentium 2 system will be your only system with a Voodoo card then upgrading the CPU is a good idea.

Yes, this will be my Voodoo machine, on the pentium 3 I will user my old geforce annihilator pro. I will look around and see if I can find a cheap celeron to try.

Reply 9 of 15, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you try any older dos games with this setup?? I have a similar voodoo 3 card and i am considering using it in my PII rig as well. I dont really want to play quake 2 or half life with it (i have a P4 for that), but i am hoping to run 'newish' glide games and some 90's dos games that run good on a faster machine (some flight sims and maybe some later cd rom adventure games like phantasmagoria).

Reply 11 of 15, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
b_rros wrote:

I just tried Half Life.

Other than those games, any other that you want me to try? I don't have phantasmagoria or any flight sim :\

Can you try any sierra games by any chance? Maybe some older adventure games (not too old though)? Kings Quest 6, Space Quest 6 or maybe lucasarts games like tie fighter? Also, Carmaggedon?

I know it may not be appropriate for your system and a vooodoo3, but I'm curious how some older games might run.

Reply 12 of 15, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Carmageddon and GTA run perfectly on the Voodoo3. Actually just about everything does.

Edit:
also see this: http://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS/
You'll find that the V3 is one of the fastest and most compatible cards around for DOS.

Reply 13 of 15, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks...Good to know Carmageddon works....

Ya I've seen that chart before, but I didn't notice that the Voodoo3 was listed in there...I used it to compare my S3 cards to see which were most compatible with older games.

Funny that Voodoo3's aren't more pricey considering it's DOS compatibility...I picked mine up for about $12 from Ebay a year ago.

They are getting a bit harder to find though.

Reply 14 of 15, by misterjones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I almost tossed a Quantum Big Foot 6GB drive last month!!! Don't know why I kept it, but I still have it. I DID toss the 12BG Bigfoot I had 'cause it was near death.

This board is getting me depressed thinking about all the stuff I've tossed out recently.

Anywho, have you ever thought of tracking down a Quantum 3D Obsidian S12? I have one in storage across the country (I have a lot of old stuff in storage... Been meaning to send for it all at some point).

Reply 15 of 15, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retrofanatic wrote:

Funny that Voodoo3's aren't more pricey considering it's DOS compatibility...I picked mine up for about $12 from Ebay a year ago.

V3 2000 and 3000 AGP cards are still considered common. They are probably the best value in 3DFX cards at the moment along with the Banshee. The PCI cards are a bit hard to find because at the time the V3 came out, AGP was pushing PCI out of the mainstream video card market so not many people were still buying PCI cards then. They had mostly migrated to AGP so that's where the video card makers focused their efforts. They might have sold some of their older, slower technology on PCI but usually not their top of the line parts.