VOGONS

Fastest PCI 3D card ever made

Topic actions

First post, by AlexDroog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just acquired a Pentium 4 rig for next to nothing. It only has pci slots. I'm using the onboard video which is very slow. I was wondering what is the fastest pci 3D card ever made?

Reply 3 of 32, by gandhig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think, GT 430. Do you mean native?

Dosbox SVN r4019 + savestates Build (Alpha)
1st thread & the only one related to the forum(?)...warning about modern-retro combo
Dead, but, Personal Favourite
Replacement for Candy Crush...Train the Brain

Reply 6 of 32, by gandhig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AlexDroog wrote:

Yes, native.

By Googling and AFAIK,
Nvidia: GeForce 6200/FX 5600
ATI/AMD: Radeon 9100
i.e. unless you want to go down the costly professional graphics route(Quadro/FireGL/Pro etc) where you may get more modern GPU's with PCI interface but without any onboard PCI bridge adapters.
BTW, what is your PC's specs especially the Processor and the platform

1st thread & the only one related to the forum(?)...warning about modern-retro combo

Reply 7 of 32, by gandhig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sliderider wrote:

I don't know about that. I think the 9500GT is still faster.

Tom's hardware puts GT430 2 rungs above 9500 GT in the hierarchy ladder and GPUreview website shows GT430 is better on paper at the least. Do you have any first-hand experience otherwise?

Reply 9 of 32, by AlexDroog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gandhig wrote:
By Googling and AFAIK, Nvidia: GeForce 6200/FX 5600 ATI/AMD: Radeon 9100 i.e. unless you want to go down the costly professiona […]
Show full quote
AlexDroog wrote:

Yes, native.

By Googling and AFAIK,
Nvidia: GeForce 6200/FX 5600
ATI/AMD: Radeon 9100
i.e. unless you want to go down the costly professional graphics route(Quadro/FireGL/Pro etc) where you may get more modern GPU's with PCI interface but without any onboard PCI bridge adapters.
BTW, what is your PC's specs especially the Processor and the platform

Its a Pentium 4 2.66ghz on a intel 82801db chipset

Reply 12 of 32, by gandhig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I agree with you Racoonrider that going for a better platform would be the right choice, unless the OP doesn't want to spend on a new platform as he got the P4 for next to nothing.
Another important factor would be which era/games he would like to play. Also GT 430 PCI will be hard to get and even then would be costly and for that amount he might get a complete system.

Reply 13 of 32, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A GeForce 6200 would be a very good option. I have the agp version and it is a good card.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 14 of 32, by AlexDroog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gandhig wrote:

I agree with you Racoonrider that going for a better platform would be the right choice, unless the OP doesn't want to spend on a new platform as he got the P4 for next to nothing.
Another important factor would be which era/games he would like to play. Also GT 430 PCI will be hard to get and even then would be costly and for that amount he might get a complete system.

Yeah, I don't want to change the platform. I just want to pop in the fastest PCI 3D card I can get and play games from the late 90's to the early 2000's. I found a Zotac PCI GT 430 on ebay for $50. I haven't bought it yet but i'm thinking about it.

Reply 15 of 32, by gandhig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This should have been the question I must have asked in this forum before I bought the Zotac GT520 PCI, but unfortunately I didn't come across it before the purchase. I was also targetting later 90's and early 2000 games only.
With what little experience I have, there might be sub-par peformance than what you would normally expect out of it because of the onboard bridge. I will be glad to be proved wrong. Agreed that you are better placed in both the CPU and GPU(prospective) departments in comparison with mine, but beware about some nasty surprises and the end result. I have spent close to 2 years and still not given up completely.
But there you are, you have been WARNED.

Reply 16 of 32, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah I think a GeForce 6200 might be best for PCI. The newer cards can be troublesome.

Additionally a Voodoo3/4/5 PCI could also have some value. Those old games that use Glide are often best on Glide. The slowest Voodoo3 is faster than Voodoo2 SLI. Voodoo4/5 have built up some high pricing through rarity, nostalgia and demand though.

Reply 18 of 32, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pentium 4 boards are cheaps as chips. I would just look out for a free or $1 motherboard that has AGP.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 19 of 32, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gandhig wrote:

And support for older games won't be as good with such a modern card. For old games, if you can even find one because I've been searching for years, would be a FX5600 PCI. It's a little bit faster (on paper) than a GeForce 6200 PCI, but with better compatibility. You'd probably have to settle for a FX5500 PCI, as those are still common as dirt and cheap but a little bit faster than FX5200 PCI.