VOGONS

First post, by 1984

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there retro enthusiasts. For some time now (years) I have been looking for an old AT/baby AT form factor desktop computer case that has that old vintage look to it that has A FLIP OPEN LID. Those old computer were just painfull to work on at times.

I want to build a Pentium MMX rig, and on this rig I will be installing, removing, and swaping out parts rather frequently, as I use different graphics cards to play different old games, as well as several old expansion cards and whatnot. A case with a flip open top would just be Ideal for such a rig. Sadly they are nearly impossible to find. And I have stupidly wasted my money on ebay when a case I though was suitable came up only to realize that for one reason or another it was unfit for what I wanted to do.

IMG_4438_zps259d9725.jpg

THIS CASE HOWEVER: It's 286 time!
just looks perfectly ideal. That is (hopefully) an AT form factor PSU (I really hope) that it takes not an XT. And that case has plently of forward facing drive bays, for floppies, zips, and whatnot.

Having looked just about everywhere I can think of I am really hoping that someone on this fine forum has one of these cases that they would be willing to sell for me. And I hope the thermals of the case are such that I can handel a pentuim and Voodoo 2. Anyway, if you have one of these cases I would love to know how much you want for it.

Reply 1 of 8, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey that's mine! I have a couple of flip tops, the other here, and yes they're great to work with. Very few AT cases give much thought to cooling, but a Pentium + Voodoo2 would be fine in all but the worst of them.

There's no trading on these forums, try amibay, and you didn't even state where you are! Good luck in your search, they don't show up often that's for sure.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 3 of 8, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
1984 wrote:

What do you mean no trading. Its forbidden???

He means no trading - VOGONS is no marketplace!

I'll also add that it's kind of poor netiquitte to jump onto a forum, grab someone's pictures without attribution, and then make an unsolicited open offer to purchase the item; not everywhere is eBay. 😒

Anyways - I don't think it would be terribly hard to modify an existing AT/ATX desktop to have hinges although it would certainly be a somewhat custom job relative to the case you're working with. The simplest method I could think of would be to cutout an opening and use a piano hinge, but if you wanted something more elaborate why not use air struts? (you can generally get them at auto parts dealers) 😎

Alternately, eBay Search can be your friend:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/XT-style-Flip-Top-Com … =item1e89eaf856

Reply 4 of 8, by 1984

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry. I really didn't mean to be rude. I don't really know anywhere where I could aquier one of these things and there hardly ever any good pc stuff over there. I didn't mean to be rude. I figured that some one on here might have one they'd let go of. I have some stuff I'm sure the right person would want but finding those right people is hard. I guess I should have thought a little harder.

PS I've been searching e-bay for this case for 4 years. bought a similar but not as good as one a couple months ago. It even had a replica looking at bezel. Case ended up requiring an XT power supply and having xt motherboard drilling.

Reply 6 of 8, by 1984

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've thought about it but I'm fairly sure that in my hands it would end up being a butchered mess. I was saving up to buy a catweasel MK4+ once. Three months later I went to amigakit to buy it only to learn that it had been discontinued and sold out. It took me 3 years and the willingness to pay whatever the asker wanted to finally get a hold of one. Every time I've tried to use Amibay someone seems to snipe me. I started a thread there once asking for a certain part. By the time I woke up the next morning someone had already respond saying they had the part, and some other guy had responded saying he wanted it too, and the part was already sold to the guy who highjacked the thread I made seeking the part. I thought this time I would go directly to a source where I knew at least someone had the obscure thing I'm seeking. I really want to re-experience all the fun, magic, and excitement that was computing in the 90's. With as very little of the accompanying pain and misery that was computing in the 90's as I can.

Hopefully I'll have better things to contribute to this forum in the future.

Reply 7 of 8, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
1984 wrote:

I really want to re-experience all the fun, magic, and excitement that was computing in the 90's. With as very little of the accompanying pain and misery that was computing in the 90's as I can.

I think you've come to the right place. 😀

One thing you might consider is seeing if you have a machine shop that does fabrication near you - I have no idea what you should expect to pay reasonably, but they might be able to rig up a flip-open for you. 😀

Reply 8 of 8, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah I ain't selling that one I'm sorry, but they do come up from time to time. Here's one being sold locally (to me), and actually I think this is the same seller I bought that ^ one from.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-Pentium-S- … 8f04c724&_uhb=1

Life? Don't talk to me about life.