VOGONS

First post, by Gramcon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was using my 386 today in DOS when suddenly every keypress would just print gibberish. I rebooted the computer, and it immediately spits the beep code for keyboard controller failure and will not POST. It's a PS/2 style port integrated onto the motherboard. I unplugged and reseated everything, cleared the CMOS, etc., no luck. Anyone have any suggestions to fix, or am I up the proverbial creek? Thanks for any suggestions.

Reply 1 of 5, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe some battery fluid over the motherboard near that keyboard connector? Also check if the connector self is in the right shape..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 2 of 5, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Check the board for physical damage.

On a few boards the controller is actually socketed. If it is, make sure it is making good contact

A 386 board with PS/2?? Wow that is uncommon

Reply 3 of 5, by Gramcon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the help! The battery was a plug-in type that I removed immediately after I got it. I sprayed Deoxit on the IC nearest the battery connector that had a tiny amount of corrosion near it. I also sprayed around the keyboard connector. Not sure if you're supposed to use that stuff on motherboards, but It fired up after that...hopefully it will last.

Yeah, a 386 with PS/2. Check out the pic. At the top right is an AMD 386SX-33. Sixteen-bit connector in the middle is for an ISA riser card. It's from a DECpc. Neat little box.

P1010017_zps2ea852ad.jpg

Reply 4 of 5, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That looks a bit like my old packard bell 486 board (that died) with onboard video, PS/2 keyboard and mouse
and one ISA slot that is designed to be connected to a riser.

But strange to see on a 386. Usually 386 was way before onboard everything