VOGONS

First post, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Toshiba Tecra 550CDT with Windows 98SE. I bought it at a thrift, so I don't have any of the software to go along with it. However, I'd like to get a PCMCIA card working at the DOS and Windows 98SE level. It's a New Media Basics Gameport card.

I know that I need to install card and socket services, but I don't know which software to use or where to get it. I used to have an older Toshiba laptop that used a Windows 95 program called Cardworks. Amazingly, I still have the floppy with that program on it. Is this the right card and socket software for Win 98SE as well? I imagine that it was updated since Windows 95, but I don't have that update.

If anyone is regularly using a Windows 98SE-era Toshiba laptop and is using PCMCIA cards, I'd appreciate knowing what software you are running.

Reply 1 of 4, by TandySensation

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had a Toshiba Libretto 50CT which I recently sold. I didn't have to do anything special in 98SE to use the pcmcia slot, card services were available after installing the OS. I used both wired and wireless adapters in it but not in DOS. Maybe it's a component of windows you can add or remove? I remember when I installed 98 there were 4 options on the install, typical, compact, full, and mobile.

I also have a Toshiba 1950CT 486 with dos and 3.11. When I installed the DOS drivers for a linksys 10baseT card it added PCMCIA services to dos, it was bundled with the software from Linksys. I tore the flexcable to that system when trying to fix the AC plug and now the floppy doesn't work 🙁

Reply 2 of 4, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Same here. I use a Satellite 4010CDT with 98SE as a general purpose retro laptop and the PCMCIA NIC worked without additional software or drivers on Windows.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 3 of 4, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks to both of you for the help. I didn't know that Windows 98 had its own card and socket services. I think my Cardworks software was for Win95 versions before OSR2, which also had card and socket services built in, I learned.

I did discover that to enable DOS-level card and socket services, I need to load four drivers into my CONFIG.SYS, plus one more for the gameport card. The four drivers were on my Cardworks diskette. I was able to get games to recognize the joystick movements but not the buttons. I may need to change some BIOS settings.

Reply 4 of 4, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i'm using a 2805-s503 or is it an s405/403? it has an Geforce 2 go 16mb and an 800 mhz pentium 3 and 384mb or ram and a floppy drive.