VOGONS

AWE64 Gold on a 486?

Topic actions

First post, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just picked up my first AWE64 Gold card and installed it in my 486 box. Upon running the install program, I got a message saying that wavetable synthesis would not be installed because my computer was not powerful enough (it recommended a Pentium 90 and 8MB RAM). While I do have exactly 8MB of RAM, my CPU is a 486DX2-50.

My question is whether it is worth adding the AWE64 to this box. I can replace it with a SB Pro 2.0, which works great. I also have a GUS Classic (albeit with only 256K RAM). Would I be missing out on anything without the AWE64? I'd not a huge stickler for "period correct," but it seems as though the AWE64 was never really intended for the 486.

Reply 2 of 7, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm guessing you got this error while installing the Windows software? It will refer to the WavEffects software wavetable synth. You can still use the hardware wavetable on the AWE64.

Reply 3 of 7, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Everything was handled through MS-DOS 6.2. I don't have Windows loaded on the hard drive at all. I put in the CD I burned from the ISO from vogonsdrivers.com and typed "install" at the DOS prompt. I believe the install program loaded CTCM first, then proceeded with the rest of the install.

Reply 4 of 7, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AWE64 Gold, despite being released in 1997, suits a 486. Its 'wavetable' synth engine is hardware and doesn't require any computing resources other than some (not much) memory for patch management information if non-default sound set is used.

If it happens so that setup utility swears at you for having a slow PC, ignore it and install needed drivers manually.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 5 of 7, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good to know. I also forgot that SMARTDRV was using 2MB of XMS, so I'll try the install again without it.

Reply 6 of 7, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Get the same message on Non-intel cpu's like my cyrix pr200
Just ignore it, like above posts pointed out it should work fine.

Reply 7 of 7, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had to wait to use my AWE64, until I upgraded to a P2-300 machine. 440BX chipset