VOGONS

First post, by dave343

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've installed a 8mb voodoo 2 on my Asus tx97e, along side an ATI Rage II-3D. Problem is windows fails to detect the voodoo 2. The pass through cable is working 100%, get a clean image but nothing I try will get windows to see the card. I've tried a different pci slot, I've tried going through the ATI alone, it just won't see it. I'm assuming it works since I can use the pass through cable....?
Also I am running the latest bios,0112E, although this is the patched version to allow K6-3 chips.

Last edited by dave343 on 2014-12-09, 15:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 12, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is Plug 'n Play enabled?

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 12, by dave343

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did turn plug and play on in the BIOS if that's what you meant. On or off had no effect. It's odd to me that the pass through works OK yet windows won't see it. I even tried to manually detect the hardware, 3 different pci slots.
I might try reverting the bios to the Asus default, maybe this patched bios for the K6-3 affected a setting...

Last case I do have a P3-500 system I recently built but I'll revert to that last as I'd rather not start ripping that apart. I have that rig setup perfectly how I want.

Is there any other BIOS setting I should look to see if it's on? I can't imagine what but maybe I am missing something?

Just to add too, all the other hardware was successful detected, the CT2940 SB16, ATI Mach64 (Rage II)...

It's so frustrating... I'm sitting in windows looking at the screen that's being pumped through the voodoo 2 pass through cable, it's a clear and crisp image, so what gives. oh yeh, I also installed the Win98 SP3 to try that too.

Thanks for the replies.

Reply 4 of 12, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When the machine boots, after the POST it usually displays a list of devices with an Interrupt table. The V2 should show up here with NA for interrupt because it doesn't use one.

So that's a quick test on your P3 without having to install Windows or anything. If it doesn't show up there then the card has issues 😒

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 12, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's odd to me that the pass through works OK yet windows won't see it.

Passthrough is just that a passthrough... it only switches to Voodoo mode when it needs to.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 6 of 12, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

When the machine boots, after the POST it usually displays a list of devices with an Interrupt table. The V2 should show up here with NA for interrupt because it doesn't use one.

So that's a quick test on your P3 without having to install Windows or anything. If it doesn't show up there then the card has issues 😒

Just to add something to this, also check what PCI vendor ID and Device ID it lists. Look those up in the PCI database (on the web). Make sure they match the card. I ran into one situation where the PCI ID values for a card were glitched. I think in my case it turned out to be caused by a weak voltage rail or something.

Reply 7 of 12, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had the same problem once: no found new hardware, nothing in the system list. I just installed the driver by ``new hardware`` in the configuration screen and after a restart the card was found.

other pci slot can help also.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 8 of 12, by darksheer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The card is maybe defective (or you're running your pci frequency faster than it should), you can test it with Voodoo 1 DOS variables launched via a batch file (like ones used to recognise Voodoo 2 as Voodoo 1 for the 3DFX Tomb Raider patch). That way you will be able to use the card even if it's not detected by windows for testing purposes...
You can test it with Tomb Raider 1 and Quake, if they don't work like it should with those Voodoo variables... 😵

Reply 9 of 12, by dave343

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry to bring up this old topic, I've been busy with work and the life with 3 kids. I have some time now, and I've been working on my Socket 7 system trying to get this Voodoo 2 running... still. So I'm hoping maybe someone has another suggestion, possibly something I haven't tried. I'll post the current specs, and what I've so far tried, thanks in advance for any replies.

K6-2 300/AFR/66 - 2.2V
Asus TX97-E V1.12 with latest beta Bios
128MB EDO
ATI Rage II 3D - 2MB
Maxi-Gamer Voodoo2 8MB
SB 16 (2940) ISA
Windows 98 SE with the unofficial Service Pack

So I've tried quite a lot of things but maybe I'm missing something... or I'm just to stubborn to accept this card is dead. I bought the Voodoo 2 off ebay, the seller said it was in working condition, although I never asked if he just tried the pass through, or actually played games. The card passes through the video from the ATI perfectly, no problem with color, signal...etc. But as in my original post, Windows does not see the card. Also, I should point out that when the PC boot's and the Device ID's are listed, there are only 3 things listed. Serial, IDE, and the ATI Video (no IRQ)

Maybe someone can explain this to me, but the 3DFX chips get warm, so I'm "assuming" they are getting power, and if the pass through is working, does that mean there is activity going through the PCI bus, or is the pass through completely separate from the PCI bus?? I just down understand how the pass through is working, the 3DFX chips are warm so getting power, but the PC can't see the device ID...

But, onto what I've tried....

- All PCI Slots
- Cleaned the PCI contacts on the Voodoo2
- Tried scanning for new hardware
- Tried adding new hardware manually
- Plugged in without using pass through from ATI
- Triple checked jumpers to make sure PCI bus was correct speed (I've tried Pentium, Pentium MMX, and this AMD K6-2 CPU)
- Enabled PnP in bios
- Changed PCI Latency timer to 32... was set to 0.

What I haven't done, is re-flashed the bios which you might think, why... but I'm using the latest Asus Beta bios however it's been modded to allow for larger HD's (I think over 128gb), as well as some additional CPU support.. K6-III+ cpus. The guy who made the BIOS, you can read the blog about the BIOS here. --> http://www.lairdslair.com/TX97E.shtml So, my thought was to try downgrading to a older BIOS without the mod's, and see if maybe the newest BIOS disbaled something that require the card's detection. (I'd drop in a MMX CPU for this, as I know I'd loose support for the K6-2).

Reply 10 of 12, by raymangold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The easiest way to start isolating the problem would be to have another voodoo2 on hand that's confirmed to be working.

A voodoo2 can be completely non-functional and still pass through video (case in point I accidentally shorted one of my V2s, it was no longer 'detected' by windows after but still passed through its video). After fixing the short it resumed normal function and windows saw it again.
Actually... check to see if the very super fine legs aren't squashed together, that's a common problem with V2s. If they are, ask the seller for a refund or get an x-acto knife and separate them-- must be a VERY VERY VERY fine blade and you have to be good with delicate things.

Reply 11 of 12, by dave343

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

thanks, going to check that out.

Reply 12 of 12, by raymangold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dave343 wrote:

thanks, going to check that out.

Just for reference, it's most commonly the 'middle' chip near the PCI connector (position might vary depending on the card).
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons … dfx_voodoo2.jpg

You could also check to ensure none of the legs are broken off their solder pads; not as a huge problem with these older cards as they use proper lead solder.