VOGONS

First post, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As I said in the new hardware thread, I now have a Roland JV-1010 😀

According to vintagesynth.com,

The Roland JV-1010 Synth Module may look like a weakling, but it kicks sand in the face of a lot of synths twice its size! This half-rackspace killer has the full sound set of the professional JV-1080 and 2080 modules (at slightly reduced quality). With 640 preset and 128 user patches, that's a lot of phat sounds in a skinny package. Plus, all 255 sounds from the Session wave expansion board are included.
And if you want to add more muscle, the JV-1010 has an expansion slot for any JV80 Series board (Asian, Orchestral, Hip Hop, Techno, Bass & Drums, Vocal, Country, World, etc.). In total, you can get over a thousand patches out of the box and over 1,200 when expanded - all in a 64-voice polyphonic, 16-part multitimbral unit with dedicated Reverb, Chorus and Multi-effects.

... and it's GM compatible, too!
The default GM patches are.. not all that great, unfortunately. So here I'll post my attempts to improve them.

So far I've only really touched the overdrive/distortion guitars, here's what I got so far:
Doom: before, after
Blood: before, after 😵

This preset patch sounds kinda neat too, but doesn't really fit in (and turns into a panflute on the higher notes): https://app.box.com/s/xy1x688j65bpbyi7q68e

Let me know what you think, and if anyone else has one of these synths, maybe we could exchange patches and make the best GM bank ever 😀

Reply 1 of 12, by raymangold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah the JV series just had the GM banks as an 'added' bonus, which often do sound better than most solutions, but also a bit off from the soundcanvas series which are more developed for GM playback. At the time I thought it would be cool to run game MIDIs through my 1080 because at the time no one was doing anything like it. But some caught on and started using them for games, which I still don't advise. Music sounds a lot more correct on an SC-88 (although some GM sounds I prefer on the JV series-- like the pizzicato). 'Choir' and 'Echo Voices' are way better on the SC-88 for sure. Warcraft 2 apparently used the SC-88 module for mastering its CD audio music-- which wasn't redbook but some compressed proprietary format that just read off the CD at full throttle as it didn't go into CD-Audio "read mode". Better have a 4x / 8x handy!

Games like Starcraft 1, Sim City 3000, Lomax, Drilling Billy, Mech Warrior 2, and many others used the JV-1080 for their mastered music. The actual sound banks, not limiting to the bonus 'GM' presets.

Reply 2 of 12, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

the DOOM music was a great improvement, Blood was just terrible 🤣
keep us posted on the JV-1010 jwt27 , it's always interesting to hear modules other than the usual ones...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 12, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

JV-1010 is a great little module and very good value on the used market. I have one but I probably won't keep it since I also own a JV-2080 and they have the same sounds.

BTW here is a great demo of the JV-1010:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwURVxpGmLU

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 9 of 12, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote:

I'm on the lookout for a JV-1010, but it's probably not worth it to ship to the USA.

Are we looking at the same eBay? There are thirteen JV-1010s avalable on eBay US right now.

darksheer wrote:

Anyone for recording old games OST with a Roland Interga 7 ? 🤣

If I was a millionaire, I would! 🤣

Reply 11 of 12, by [ROTT] IanPaulFreeley

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've had my JV-1010 on my vintage PC desk for years now! What a wonderful piece of equipment... I can't recommend it enough, and it even goes for dirt cheap on the used market.

As a piano player myself, I bought one about four years ago because it includes by default the Roland Session expansion set, and the piano patches blew me away. (They still do!)

I use a 486 full of MIDI files as a jukebox that drives the JV-1010, and my most frequently played soundtrack was Rise of the Triad.

Short version: Go buy a JV-1010

- AMD 386 DX/40, 8mb, DOS 6.22 / WFW
- 486 DX2/66, 16mb, DOS 6.22 / WFW
- 486 DX4/100, 16mb, Win98se
- Pentium 166, 32mb, DOS 6.22 / WFW
- Pentium Pro 200, 64mb, Win98
- Athlon 500 MHz, 192mb, Win98

Reply 12 of 12, by Phil1234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I'm new here and I was wondering if someone can help me. Someone on Synthfreaks forum recommended this page.

My problem. I bought a Roland Sound Canvas SC-88ST module from a Roland Music shop (in Madrid, Spain) with a guarantee but don't know how to use it. Let me explain... I had seen it briefly, but got a friend to buy it for me as he lives near the shop. However, when I got it, it was after I had been away on holiday and it was too late to take back. The thing is that the SC-88ST has no built in screen! I have to either use it with a controller keyboard with up/down buttons or number buttons that go up to 999 or over 1000, or with a computer. I have an E-MU Xboard 61 but can only get 16 sounds form it. I also have a cheap non-sensative Yamaha keyboard and can get more sounds but the same ones as on the Yamaha. My questions are these: 1) Which controller keyboards will be able to get all the sounds? 2) How can I use this through a computer? Which OS and programmes do I need? Someone has told me not to send it back to the shop as you can change and modify the sounds through a computer. You can personalise the sounds. It has about 654 sounds. Is it true that you can load in other sounds from the Roland XP or other keyboards and modules? Thanks for any help. Best regards