VOGONS

First post, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,

I managed to get a Creative Voodoo II 12mb (CT6670) from the bay the other week. I've tested it and its working fine. I've been keeping a close eye out to try and find another card.

To my surprise last night the seller listed the exact same card which I bought. I e-mailed him straight after asking if the cards were identical as the photos were the same. He confirmed that they were slightly different, he just used the same photos.

His response...

I bought these cards a long time ago and tried to run them in SLI - this worked except that something would 'drift' and the picture (Forsaken was the game I was into at the time - light years ahead of everything else) would lose focus and I had to hit the Print Screen key to bring it back in (don't know why). I assumed this was because of some mismatch between the cards."

No obviously I don't want the card if I'll get issues with SLI, I asked him to send me a photo, the front and back of the card and if any other games had problems.

Does this sound like a hardware compatibility problem? or a driver problem? The Seller had listed the previous card I bought as 8mb, it's a 12mb card.

Last edited by foey on 2014-08-01, 22:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 1 of 12, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

never heard of that problem before...
there are mismatched SLI drivers here: http://www.falconfly.de/voodoo2.htm
if you get this error you can try swapping cards in PCI slots (they work in master/slave mode) and see if that fixes any issues, can't think of anything else

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 12, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK thanks, do you think its worth taking a risk? card was £9 + £3 postage.

I'm assuming back then he was using older drivers, possibly off the CD.

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 3 of 12, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Never heard of a problem like this caused from SLI. Seems more to be another kind of problem if it at all can be replicated.

Even if the cards are mismatched, there are drivers for SLI usage (as said by keropi). £9 + £3 shipping is a good price, so I wouldn't turn it down.

For Creative boards, they should be marked with different CT numbers. CT6671 for 8MB ones. If you have CT6670 on your card and the new card up for sale is CT6670 it should be fine.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 4 of 12, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Cheers guys, I don't think this card is a creative board. I've asked him send me some photos of the front and back of the card. I want to make sure its a 12mb, as he listed the one I bought as a 8mb (It was 12mb) and now the same with this one.

Reply 5 of 12, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

never heard of that problem before...
there are mismatched SLI drivers here: http://www.falconfly.de/voodoo2.htm
if you get this error you can try swapping cards in PCI slots (they work in master/slave mode) and see if that fixes any issues, can't think of anything else

Aren't they switched by plugging VGA cable from one card to another?

Reply 6 of 12, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just had a reply from the seller.

I don't remember (it was 15+ years ago). Forsaken ran at 1024 x 768 in SLI which most games didn't support (neither did most monitors). I couldn't take photos because I (pre)packaged everything in boxes and I didn't really think about this, many people it seems just use stock photos off eBay. I can recollect the RAM chips on one card were a different quantity and manufacturer to the other card, but still 8MB. This is essentially why I didn't try and sell them together at a premium for SLI. Having said that it could have been something else, if not then you can just hit the print screen key every few minutes to refocus the image. If nothing else, at least you have doubled your chances of finding a matching card and the unused one shouldn't be too difficult to resell on eBay.

It sounds like this card, is actually a 8mb card. Can you SLI cards - 1 12mb and the other 8mb? which it sounds like he was doing.

The one he sold me first was a Creative 12mb card (He is still unaware of this)

Reply 7 of 12, by joacim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is the seller based in China? I've just ordered a CT6670 myself. The description says 8 MB, but the picture looks like a 12 MB card. I decided to take a chance. It is not a big deal to me if I end up with a 8 MB card.

Reply 8 of 12, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have 5 voodoo2 cards, all 12mb.

2 of them i bought brand new boxed a couple of months ago (old stock, seller had 18! from a store that went bankrupt), These are Guilemot Maxi gamer 3d II. Work perfect in sli setup on my Asus p5a.

The other three are working perfect alone (diamond, creative en trust) but NONE of them are working together... I tried normal drivers, mismatched drivers, nothing worked.
Cards are found both with every combo but as soon as i start a game i only get a black screen.

I only tried in win98se so maybe other OS works better but in this case it isn`t working. Tested on Asus p3b-f and Asus p5b. Also tried different slots and master slave, didn`t help.

All three have 100mhz memory, 2 of them even the same brand (EliteMT memory).

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 9 of 12, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Received my second Creative card today.

It is, as thought a 8mb card. Strangely its labeled up as the exact same card, CT6670 but just missing the RAM from the back. I'd thought I'd give the SLi ago, I tested the cards on their own using the same drivers

I put the 8mb as the master card, at the top and the 12mb below. Windows picked up both cards without any issues and seems to be running them as two 8mb cards.

Voodoo2_Info_zps7682128a.jpg

3DFX Reference drivers :- 27 Jan 2000 3dfx Voodoo2 V3.02.02
Specs :- Intel PIII Coppermine @ 1.06Ghz, Geforce 256 DDR.

Both cards run through 3DMark '99 without any issues.

Voodoo2_Mismatch_zpsb331456d.jpg

The 12mb card seems to produce higher FPS on the first test of 3DMark'99, wheres are the 8mb card is noticeably lower. The rest of the tests look the same FPS wise. Both cards were tested on the same drivers in the same slot one at a time.
Quake 2, despite the slower 3DMark score, the FPS remained pretty much identical.

Do these scores look OK? I was expecting a little higher considering the CPU. Also is it right that the 8mb when used on their own score differently?

Reply 10 of 12, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

At what resolution is that?

A tip, you can install a utility to enable / disable SLI in the driver. You also need one to disable V-sync.

You can compare your results with my Voodoo2 (and SLI) CPU scaling project: http://youtu.be/09mhPtidhFk

3DMark results are here, but with a faster CPU:

9OHI8EP.png

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 11 of 12, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mau1wurf1977 - Fantastic work with that project. Really helped me and a interesting read!

I've disabled V-Sync and now seeing much better results.

Voodoo2_Mismatch_nVS_2_zpsbdf215c1.jpg

I still have slight concern over 3DMark 99. The start of the first test starts around ~25-30fps. This was slightly quicker with just the 12mb card. What I have noticed since going SLi when switching to the Voodoos the screen takes twice as long to come back. For instance I miss 2-3 seconds of the 3Dmark - Not sure if this is the cause.

But as for Quake II, I seem to be pretty much bang on the expected FPS.

Reply 12 of 12, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A couple of questions:-

1. Drivers
I've installed just the latest reference drivers from falconfly onto Windows ME. But I've seen a number of screenshots where they have a number of other versions/drivers on the list, as you can see mine is fairly empty. Is this right? What else/what other drivers should I use?

Voodoo2_Info_zps7682128a.jpg

2. Windows 2000
Again, I've installed the latest W2k reference drivers from falconfly, Quake II works in OpenGL 3Dfx mode, however I can't change the what graphics adapter within any 3DMark. Looking at Dxdiag it does not show the Voodoo, just my main AGP card.
I've tried installing the fast Voodoo XP drivers, but unable to run Quake II due to an error. Again, I can't select the Voodoo from the benchmark software.

Thanks,
Mark