VOGONS

First post, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello,

Does anybody here have this combo working? I have read a lot about chipsets who seem to support 3,3v agp but i am still a little reluctant to try this out... the manual on the Asus site only mentions 1,5v agp.

On some forums they say it works, on others they say it does not. If someone has this combo i would also like to know which revision of the board it is.

I only use Asus boards and i think this is the fastest possible combo for my agp card with a barton 3000+, as i understand that any 400mhz fsb s462 board will not work.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 1 of 15, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nobody? 😢

Reply 2 of 15, by nuschii

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
meljor wrote:

Does anybody here have this combo working? I have read a lot about chipsets who seem to support 3,3v agp but i am still a little reluctant to try this out... the manual on the Asus site only mentions 1,5v agp.

The supported voltage(s) of the AGP slot as well as the supported voltage(s) of the card can be easily determined by the keys and notches:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerated_Grap … t#Compatibility

As long as the manufacturer of the mobo/card didn't make a huge mistake, you can safely rely on this. The card won't fit if it is the wrong voltage. As for Voodoo 5, you most definitely need a mobo with 3.3 V support (or universal slot), unless you have one of the very few AGP4x prototypes of that card.

Also, when reading datasheets, be careful not to confuse AGP data rates with AGP versions:
AGP 1.0 is AGP1x or AGP2x and operates at 3,3 volts.
AGP 2.0 is AGP4x and operates at 1,5 volts.

EDIT: From the pictures of the board I googled, I would say it's an AGP PRO universal slot. So the Voodoo 5 should work. AGP PRO is just a longer slot, providing extra power lines to AGP PRO cards (see the picture by the Wikipedia article above). There are no keys in the AGP portion of the slot, so the board should accept 1,5V as well as 3,3V cards.

Reply 3 of 15, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is KT333, KT333CE and KT333CF.
The KT333CF doesn't support 3.3V AGP anymore (it is internally a AGP 4x KT400).

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 4 of 15, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

thank you! that is good info to have.

Reply 5 of 15, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elianda wrote:

There is KT333, KT333CE and KT333CF.
The KT333CF doesn't support 3.3V AGP anymore (it is internally a AGP 4x KT400).

Identifying the KT400 versions seems really difficult. I assume the Northbridge part number is key, but they always have a heat sink...

I have a MSI KT3 Ultra2 that has KT333 and VT8235, meaning it is a later model KT333 board. But it does support AGP 3.3v. It must be CE.

Reply 6 of 15, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Of course if you want to be extra careful, you could try with a cheaper early AGP 3.3v card first, a SiS 6326 or a Trident, which would be amusing anyway if you get to see it burn. 😀

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 7 of 15, by raymangold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nuschii wrote:
As long as the manufacturer of the mobo/card didn't make a huge mistake, you can safely rely on this. The card won't fit if it i […]
Show full quote

As long as the manufacturer of the mobo/card didn't make a huge mistake, you can safely rely on this. The card won't fit if it is the wrong voltage. As for Voodoo 5, you most definitely need a mobo with 3.3 V support (or universal slot), unless you have one of the very few AGP4x prototypes of that card.

Also, when reading datasheets, be careful not to confuse AGP data rates with AGP versions:
AGP 1.0 is AGP1x or AGP2x and operates at 3,3 volts.
AGP 2.0 is AGP4x and operates at 1,5 volts.

EDIT: From the pictures of the board I googled, I would say it's an AGP PRO universal slot. So the Voodoo 5 should work. AGP PRO is just a longer slot, providing extra power lines to AGP PRO cards (see the picture by the Wikipedia article above). There are no keys in the AGP portion of the slot, so the board should accept 1,5V as well as 3,3V cards.

Actually the voodoo 5 AGP "4x" prototypes still run at 3.3v, they're actually AGP 2x even though they have the extra notch. There are some 4500s built that way as well... only the production 3dfx 4500s are real AGP 4x.

Reply 9 of 15, by nuschii

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
raymangold wrote:

Actually the voodoo 5 AGP "4x" prototypes still run at 3.3v, they're actually AGP 2x even though they have the extra notch.

I did not know that. Well, yet another thing that went wrong in the last days of 3DFX. 😉

Found an interesting article at a german hardware magazine (they were planning to run tests on this card when they finally got one in 2013 😊 ):
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Grafikkarten-Gr … 2-3300-1089592/
According to this, there really were V5s with functioning AGP4x interface, but they were OEM only, and, as anthony pointed out above, there was nothing to gain from AGP4x, because using SLI, the VSA-100s were still limited to AGP1x bandwith.

archsan wrote:

Of course if you want to be extra careful, you could try with a cheaper early AGP 3.3v card first, a SiS 6326 or a Trident, which would be amusing anyway if you get to see it burn. 😀

Yeah, you could sacrifice an ATI Rage Pro, but then again, this could also blow up your mainboard, your PSU, your circuit breakers, your street, your town, your continent... 😳

Reply 10 of 15, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For a beefy system that properly feeds a V5 you can't go wrong with a fast Pentium III system. On a PIII-S 1.4 GHz the card is really only held back at the lowest resolutions. While I haven't done any CPU scaling benchmarks yet I believe that a Slot 1 BX440 chipset system with a 1 GHz PIII and CL2 memory timings will be perfect for a V5.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 11 of 15, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wonder if a V5 PCI is faster on a current system with a PCI slot than a V5 AGP on the latest AGP 2x system (probably OCed Athlon 2800+ or similar).

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 12 of 15, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, tested it with an old card and it worked. Also the 3000+ barton works (asus site says only rev. 2.0 and i have 1.04 but works fine with latest bios).

Will test the voodoo5 agp and pci soon, don`t think it will scale any further but will test the pci in a faster athlon64 system and see how it goes....

Reply 14 of 15, by raymangold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elianda wrote:

I wonder if a V5 PCI is faster on a current system with a PCI slot than a V5 AGP on the latest AGP 2x system (probably OCed Athlon 2800+ or similar).

A PCI 5500 in a *PCI-X* slot can become very competitive with an AGP 2x card. So there is a chance you can get on-par or better performance. You can also convert a PCI 5500 to PCI-e 1x with a bridge, but that's for the hardcore 'I must use 3dfx in my windows 7 computer' user.

anthony wrote:

V5 5500 a2 will run on agp 4x with sba if you be able to switch it to 1.5v, but there is no profit from 1x mode

I'm not entirely sure what that means? There are no 1.5v voodoo 5500 cards. The only way you can get one to work in a 1.5v slot is if you feed the card extra voltage to its contacts. However, there are still stability problems.
Unless you're referring to modifying its voltage regulation... but the card will still be attuned to the AGP 2x standard. People who forcefully changed the voltage still had problems.

The best solution at this point is a regular (non-prototype) 5500 on AGP universal. There is one individual who I won't mention that flips 3dfx prototypes for a quick buck and there's really no point of buying them-- and I *hate* flippers.

Reply 15 of 15, by anthony

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Vsa chip design presumes 1.5/3.3 agp interface. And 5500 a2 presumes agp4x functioning, it can be switching to 1.5v very easy. So my 5500 a2 works fine on 865 chipset. A2 worth the mention at least by Dvi traces and 4x notch. And far more rarity then ordinary 5500