VOGONS

Reply 20 of 46, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yesterday I loaded XP (no SP) on a Celeron 2.66GHz, 1GB RAM, onboard vga, 40GB IDE HDD.
I then loaded SP1 and then SP3 (which includes SP2).

On no SP, the system was QUICK! So was on SP1.
After installing SP3, even right clicks feel sluggish. Opening a browser takes centuries.

And yes it installed sucessfully and I did hard disk defrag...

Core i7-13700 | 32G DDR4 | Biostar B760M | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 32" AOC 75Hz IPS + 17" DEC CRT 1024x768 @ 85Hz
Win11 + Virtualization => Emudeck @consoles | pcem @DOS~Win95 | Virtualbox @Win98SE & softGPU | VMware @2K&XP | ΕΧΟDΟS

Reply 21 of 46, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If none of you know about nlite, http://www.nliteos.com/download.html , it will let you slipstream the service packs into it and make an a bootable CD\DVD\ISO.
It will also let you remove all the unnecessary bloat like IE for example or other annoying things, and let the OS default to classic 2k mode at the installer and boot, log in etc.

Reply 22 of 46, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When XP Home was my primary OS I recall I rolled-back to SP2 since SP3 broke a number of games. I didn't bother to figure out why, or if it was due to driver conflicts unique to my setup, but rolling back solved the issues.

I hadn't realized that SP enabled USB2 as a previous poster noted. Crazy to think XP is really that old...

Reply 23 of 46, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, and I remember earlier service packs being unusably slow on P2-class machines. 🤣 What kind of services.msc configuration do you run?

Everything completely stock!
In fact it use to be one of my major computers to use around 2008 when SP3 was released.
Then again I have a pretty good tolerance to really slow. I used to run really low end systems for the longest time
and even Win2K on a 486 seems to run fine to me.

Honestly besides the boot time it really isn't that slow as long as you don't run a RAM hungry browser new browser

Reply 24 of 46, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My installation CD is XP Pro SP2.

What I have issues with is activation. I'm offline with my retro machines, no Internet. So I have to call MS each time. Is there a way around this?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 25 of 46, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

What I have issues with is activation. I'm offline with my retro machines, no Internet. So I have to call MS each time. Is there a way around this?

There is a file called 'wpa.dbl' in one of the system folders, probably system32. This contains the activation sorcery for your install.
If you backup this file, reinstall without changing the hardware, and then restore this file afterward, then in theory this should take care of activation. At least that's what I thought I understood - but I've only tried it once, and when I did, it didn't work. I don't know why.
Restoring the file only caused my 30 day trial period to suddenly expire. When I deleted the file, the trial period was restored. I didn't get a full 30 days back - it still knew how much time I was supposed to have left.
Maybe somebody knows how to do this correctly, I apparently did something wrong. I had to activate the traditional way.

Keep in mind that Windows is protective of this file, so manipulating it requires you to bypass the SFC protections or possibly boot into the Recovery Console. I don't remember if I had to use recovery console or not. I always run without SFC because I'm crazy like that.

Reply 27 of 46, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shamino wrote:
Due to a technical issue, I left my nephew's late P4 on SP2. At least as far as nVidia drivers are concerned, there's definitel […]
Show full quote

Due to a technical issue, I left my nephew's late P4 on SP2. At least as far as nVidia drivers are concerned, there's definitely no problem. He's running 260.99, which is probably later than what you'll run on the cards you listed.
I don't know of any benefit to SP3 other than all the neverending security updates, and if some piece of software just demands it. I've never paid attention to what impact it has, but as minor as it may be, I probably wouldn't bother with SP3 in this case unless you find a reason it's needed.

I looked up DirectX 9.0c. At some point Microsoft forgot what version numbers are for and so there's multiple releases of "9.0c". The version released 4/28/2011 (not sure if that's the latest) requires SP2. Another version from 2009 requires only SP1. The only thing I ever ran into that had picky DirectX version requirements was the MGE mod for Morrowind.

I think one of the earlier service packs changed the default behavior of IE6 to stop automatically prompting to install random ActiveX plugins. The old behavior was probably the dumbest thing Microsoft ever did. But if this machine never sees a web page then it doesn't matter, and even if it does probably IE6 wouldn't be used.
This is something I wish they had patched for Win2k. On Win2k I had to do some ugly hack to get rid of an error message that constantly appears when the auto-downloads are disabled.

The "forgotten version numbers" is when Microsoft was trying to do "Monthly Hotfixes" or whatever for DirectX - it wasn't very consistent. 😵 Wikipedia says that they released bimonthly from 2004 to 2007, and then quarterly until 2010. According to MSDN what games are supposed to do is pack the redist they need and call its installer, and DirectX will say if that version (or higher) is loaded and the installer will exit quietly, otherwise it will automatically update your system with whatever the game needs (and generally users should click "yes" if the game asks to install DirectX 9). Of course that doesn't necessarily work for mods, and not all developers/publishers do it, etc.

It's SP2 that kills ActiveX in IE6 afaik - most of the bigger security updates came with SP2.

Stojke wrote:

When did each service pack (SP1, SP2, SP3) originate, in what year/date?

Windows XP - Oct, 2001
Windows XP SP1 - Sept 9, 2002
Windows XP SP2 - Aug 25, 2004
Windows XP SP3 - Apr 21, 2008

All from Wikipedia, so there's a chance those dates aren't exactly accurate - the years all sound right thinking back though. 😊

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

OK, I will admit, that was kind of a flawed statement on my part. I remember having a P4 desktop that I kept offline for the longest time for fear of viruses, and it ran fast partially because I never updated it. I eventually put it online and installed SP3, and that's when it started to show its age. This would have been around late 2008, early 2009. Similarly, I had gotten my first laptop, an Acer Travelmate with a Pentium M and 512MB of RAM, around the same time, and since I decided this would be my "online" machine, I upgraded the installed SP1 to SP3. That's when I noticed a major performance drop.

Now, this was all before I discovered the magic of services.msc, and how to make custom install discs with the updates slipstreamed in using nLite. With enough trimming and tweaking, I'm sure SP3 can be well optimized for older hardware. They made a huge difference on the aforementioned Travelmate, that's for sure.

There's a difference between simply installing SP2 or SP3 for an offline machine and having all of the associated security/cleaning applications for running on the open Internet, plus all of the various plug-ins and whatnot kept up to date as well as the general bloat associated with the modern Internet to use the machine as a "daily main rig". For example modern anti-virus applications can be total resource hogs, the same goes for firewalls, web browsers, etc. But if the machine is offline it will never touch any of that, and there's no reason to load it up with any of that stuff as a result.

Data shows (as linked, and I really wish I could find the bigger article someone dug up a while ago that showed all three SPs through gaming and non-gaming tasks - the differences were about what you'd expect from the articles I did find, but it just had more data to look at) that SP1 v 2 v 3 is not going to create "sluggish" or "way slower" or similar situations HOWEVER various associated products and whatnot that game with "new eras" of computing can. For example most computers in 2001-2002 didn't run real-time anti-virus protection, real-time firewalls, and Flash and Shockwave were relatively small parts of a mostly text-based Internet. By 2008 that had changed pretty dramatically - the web has gotten very bloated, real-time anti-virus and firewall is considered standard practice, etc and all of that requires more resources. Now to computers that were modern in 2008 none of that is a problem - they have multi-core CPUs, multiple GBs of RAM, and GPUs that can assist with most video tasks. But to a computer from 2001 it may be a problem. However none of that stuff comes along for the ride with an SP2 or SP3 install, it's just contemporaneous to it.

tincup wrote:

When XP Home was my primary OS I recall I rolled-back to SP2 since SP3 broke a number of games. I didn't bother to figure out why, or if it was due to driver conflicts unique to my setup, but rolling back solved the issues.

I hadn't realized that SP enabled USB2 as a previous poster noted. Crazy to think XP is really that old...

It's SP1 that adds USB2.0. Base Windows XP also doesn't come with DirectX 9 either. 😊 Yes, it's a very very old operating system.

Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I just plug them into my network (which has Internet access) while they're doing the finalizing steps of install, so when they first boot they have the network connection and then they perform automatic activation from there. I did a build a few days after the official end of support and it still activated okay, but I don't know for how long that will still work. Also lets me test the networking hardware on the machine, and I can pull down some installation files that way vs burning CDs (usually I download graphics drivers while the system is installing OS, so I have them faster than letting the machine download them).

Any other method around activation isn't exactly on the up and up, but I fear that in a relatively short period of time (a few years) that will be the only option for installing XP (even from legitimate/legal media and licences) if MS discontinues the activation servers. I don't know if this is actually for certain, but it's something that I've been pondering since re-installing Windows for my P4 system earlier this year.

Reply 30 of 46, by Maxaxle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've tried tacking Service Packs onto an XP Pro disk (IIRC the process is called "slipstreaming"), with no success. I'd recommend that you just keep the Service Packs on a separate CD or DVD instead.

Reply 31 of 46, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stojke wrote:

Just curious, couldn't you access wikipedia or something? lmgtfy much? 😀

Anyway, if I had to do a fresh install of XP these days, I'd likely stop at SP2 and be done with it. Disable IE, ActiveX, and the likes. No internet, no fools with their usb drives to wreak havoc on my games-only machine. No flash, no Java, etc etc. And before anyone says anything about "paranoidism" again, guess what, I don't f***in care about how you treat your machines. Staying clean is always easier for me. 😀

I've checked the games that I'd rather run on XP (EAX Advanced HD titles) and they never required anything above XP SP2. Even the games that mention SP3 (post 2008, so less relevant for my purposes) can usually run on SP2 as well. Of course, if you share the pc or use it online, latest version AVs and firewalls will usually require SP3.

If anything, I'd suggest you install whatever SP you want right away from fresh, and if you want to install, say, SP3 later, after you 'populate' your xp installation, make sure you have backup, if there's anything important. Sometimes installing hundreds of updates at once can mess with already populated systems (happen on ~5-10% of systems, said an IT manager, not me).

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 33 of 46, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK -- running smoothly with XP SP2, so I'll stay put unless something tells me I need SP3. SP2 recognized my GeForce Ti4600, but I needed to install Forceware to get Doom 3 to run. SB Live card (my "newest" sound card other than a lesser SB PCI 512) was plug and play.

Really unusual to have a "clean" XP system that's not gunked up with a million uninstalls. Right now Doom 3 is the only program installed. From 2004, it seems like the "classic" XP game: won't run on 98SE (needs DirectX 9.0b) and kind of old hat by the time Vista debuts.

Reply 34 of 46, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^re: "clean", earlier I've been using Revo Uninstaller (Free) for a while and then when the BIG sale (75% off I think) came in January I grabbed a 3-pc license of the Pro version. The Pro offers real-time monitoring of every installation. I like it. 😀

Wait, that sounds like an ad 🤣 so I'll add that of course you can just use the Free version + CCleaner.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 36 of 46, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think keeping XP "light" is the key. I never resort to tools that remove stuff, but don't install lots of garbage in the first place. Works well for me. And I also like taking images.

On my reference system the image is after XP2 with a few things installed like DirectX 9, CPU-Z, GPU-Z and video driver for the onboard graphics (Intel extreme).

From there whenever I test something I load that image, load the drivers and off I go 😀

Also works well for W98, here I just use the same GeForce as starting point. When I do a bigger benchmark run I install all the games, demos and benchmarks as well before taking the image.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 37 of 46, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Firtasik wrote:

Revo Uninstaller Pro is good, but it killed my XP a couple weeks ago. Thankfully, Clonezilla saved my ass. Do backups, folks!

Sorry if OOT, but how did that happen? Did it mess with system files?

Also good point about making images. 😀

Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I think keeping XP "light" is the key. I never resort to tools that remove stuff, but don't install lots of garbage in the first place. Works well for me. And I also like taking images.

Reply 38 of 46, by Firtasik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just uninstalled monitored Samsung PC Studio and since then XP has been unable to show login screen, even in Safe Mode. Well, I was planning to restore my system image anyway, so I didn't bother with other methods of ressurection. 😎

11 1 111 11 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 111 1 111 1 1 1 1 111

Reply 39 of 46, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
smeezekitty wrote:

How much RAM?
Honestly a P3 1.4 is so strong you would never know the difference if you have enough RAM

At start 512MB, I will upgrade it to 1GB when i patch up windows 98 (dual boot)

archsan wrote:
Stojke wrote:

Just curious, couldn't you access wikipedia or something? lmgtfy much? 😀

Too much indirect text on wikipedia to find something non critical.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"