VOGONS

First post, by Maxaxle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

1. I've heard that Windows 7 doesn't even support null modem cables. Anyone want to contest that?
1.a. My Windows 7 machine's mobo has a serial port, plus I have a USB-to-serial adapter, incase you were wondering "does this noob even have a serial port?".
2. I am by no means an expert on DOS; can anyone introduce me to modem connections under DOS? Do I need a specific program to make a connection, or is it handled by a program included in DOS?

Reply 3 of 6, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Depends on what you want to do with it.
For just basic serial communications you can use something like putty.
The problem you are mentioning may well be windows 7 lack of support for networking and file transfer over serial rather than lack of support of the cable itself

Reply 4 of 6, by Maxaxle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
smeezekitty wrote:

The problem you are mentioning may well be windows 7 lack of support for networking and file transfer over serial rather than lack of support of the cable itself

1. "Putty"?
2. Well the lack of support for serial communications is what I mean by "lack of support of the cable itself".

Reply 5 of 6, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Maxaxle wrote:
smeezekitty wrote:

1. "Putty"?
2. Well the lack of support for serial communications is what I mean by "lack of support of the cable itself".

I think he meant "PuTTY", this program: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

Reply 6 of 6, by Maxaxle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I think he meant "PuTTY", this program: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

That seems to help with the WIndows 7 end, thanks!...but now I'm not sure about what to do with the DOS machine.