VOGONS

First post, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am having some trouble and I was wondering if any of you have experienced this also. I have a Packard Bell Platinum 55 from 1996 that I use for my retro gaming computer, however it can be a pain in the arse to transfer files to and from it since it lacks any USB ports. However it has 4 PCI slots, so I went out and bought a cheap USB PCI card but when I plug it into the MB and turn it on the computer either isn't booting or it isn't displaying video because the screen remains in standby and it doesn't look like it's completing the boot check of the drives. I see the CD-ROM light up like it's checking but it almost looks like it stops after that and hangs. Unfortunately I can't see whats going on so there is no way to check, the computer boots into the OS very slowly so I'm afraid to leave it on long enough to try and blind boot into the OS in case it's doing something weird and it puts a strain on the old MB.

Have you guys done this before with older computers? Should I look for a different PCI card?
The one I have is this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16815124007

I didn't realize it was 2.0 when I bought it, does that make a difference?

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1 of 20, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does the card work in another system?

If so, it sounds like it's just incompatible and you'll need to find something else that will work. Any reason you can't just put an old ethernet adapter in there and xover to another machine for data xfer?

Reply 2 of 20, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nope, infact I have an ethernet card in there. I'm just using linux on my other computers and I figured it would be a pain to get them to communicate. 🤣

Reply 3 of 20, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The problem is it uses a VIA USB 2.0 controller that requires a newer PCI revision than your motherboard has. I suggest a card with a NEC chip.

Which USB 2.0 cards for old motherboards

Reply 4 of 20, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How can you tell NEC from VIA? When I search on ebay for NEC it looks exactly the same as the board I have in my hand.

Reply 5 of 20, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
King_Corduroy wrote:

How can you tell NEC from VIA? When I search on ebay for NEC it looks exactly the same as the board I have in my hand.

Find auctions that have photos of what they're actually selling and look for a big NEC chip.

Reply 7 of 20, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

Nope, infact I have an ethernet card in there. I'm just using linux on my other computers and I figured it would be a pain to get them to communicate. 🤣

Shouldn't be a problem with Samba. In fact probably easier than with a newer Windows OS.

Reply 8 of 20, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think I'm going to give the NEC suggestion a try and then I may resort to samba.

Reply 12 of 20, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It could be the Packard OEM board. They are kind of known for being finicky. 🤣

Reply 13 of 20, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The problem is they need PCI 2.2. You don't have PCI 2.2. That comes in with 1999 chipsets. But even if you satisfy that requirement and the motherboard recognizes the card, those ultra cheap VT6212 cards tend to cause problems for other PCI devices.

Reply 14 of 20, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I knew newer video cards could pose compatibility problems with older mobos, but I never thought of USB2 cards doing the same. Are there any other types of PCI cards that have compatibility problems on pre-1999 systems?

Reply 16 of 20, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do it, I would love to see your results. The cards are dirt cheap on ebay. 😁

Reply 17 of 20, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
smeezekitty wrote:

I might need to buy a 6212 just to test it.
I don't know if it is as cut and dry as "pre-1999" not working and "post-1999" working
It may be a chipset implementation quirk

I'm trying to say that the VIA VT6212 spec sheet says PCI 2.2+ is required. Chipsets with PCI 2.2 start with models like AMD 750 and Intel 810.

But on the other hand I've found these ultra cheap VIA USB cards to be problematic even when they do work. I doubt the VIA chip is at fault for flaky operation considering they were often used on motherboards before USB 2.0 was integrated into the chipset.

On the other other hand, the NEC chips specify PCI 2.1 support and work well on such chipsets.

Reply 18 of 20, by mwenek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just a quick thought. Are you certain this motherboard doesn't have a USB header pin set on the board for a USB port? I have an older Asus Socket 5 board that has the header and I can plug a bracket USB port into it. If so, this would save you some heartache. Of course it will be USB 1.1

Win98SE Box: PIII 850, 128MB, 8 GB HDD, CL Live!, ATI 9600XT, 2x Diamond Voodoo 2 8MB
DOS Box: Intel 80 Mhz P24T Socket 3 OD, 16MB, 128MB CF Drive, Number 9 VLB, SiiG VLB IDE, SoundBlaster 16 ISA/WaveBlaster

Reply 19 of 20, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No I don't think it does, it's an old Packard from '96. I'll look later but I doubt I'll find one.