VOGONS

First post, by Chaniyth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Full system specs are: Asus P3B-F v1.04 motherboard, Pentium 3 "Coppermine" 700Mhz, 512mb PC-100 RAM, Voodoo 2 12mb SLI, GeForce FX 5500 256mb RAM, DVD Burner, 40GB Hard Drive, 1.44 MB Floppy Drive, DVD Burner, Sound Blaster 16 CT1770, Roland MT-32 and Roland Sound Canvas 55.

Currently this system has a fresh install of Windows 98 SE installed and i'm lovin' it. Playing all the older games I used to play back in the day, sure I could play them on a modern system but what's the fun in that? 😜 😈 😁

Anyways, i'm just wondering what the last commercial game ever released that supported Windows 98 SE was? Also, wondering if I should ditch Windows 98 SE in lieu of Windows 2000 Pro SP4, or Windows XP SP3, that way my gaming experience can be just a bit broader in scope.

I'm thinking of eventually buying a dual Tualatin-S supporting motherboard and dual 1.4Ghz/512kb Tualatin-S Pentium III's to replace this computers current motherboard and CPU that way I can get the best that the Pentium III offered... but that's a maybe.

Any ideas and/or comments are appreciated. Thanks in advance. 😎

All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you. 😁

Reply 2 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Half-Life 2 was one....until those *Censored* bastards *Censored*ed the Steam client in 2008 to force people to upgrade to *Censored* XP because being in Washington makes them Microsoft $hills. *Censored*

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 7, by Chaniyth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, so I found my boxed Star Wars: Battle Front, it says it requires a 1Ghz Pentium III or 1Ghz Athlon but thats clearly not the case, it runs pretty decently on this Slot-1 700Mhz Pentium III Coppermine, which really suprised me! It has about 24fps on average, IMHO definately playable. 😳

Also found my boxed Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic which "requires" a 1Ghz Pentium III or 1Ghz Athlon, which is again... not true, the game is more than playable on this Slot-1 700Mhz Pentium III Coppermine. Most impressive.

Installed my boxed Guild Wars (which sadly, I don't remember any of my login credentials, and it won't let me make a new account, when I try it says my key [which is legitimate] is already in use... ugh, means i'd have to buy a new access key from them if I want to play. 😠 ).

All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you. 😁

Reply 4 of 7, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Half-Life 2 was one....until those *Censored* bastards *Censored*ed the Steam client in 2008 to force people to upgrade to *Censored* XP because being in Washington makes them Microsoft $hills. *Censored*

Does that mean portal would run on 98? Cool

What if you install from DVD not steam (http://www.amazon.com/The-Orange-Box-PC/dp/B000PS2XES) would it work then?

Reply 6 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I never bother with minimum requirements. I used my PII 400 till around 2006 despite what the minimum requirements were.
I remember playing GTA Vice city and thinking it was fine, not on full detail but well below the PIII 800 stated on the box
After playing on my brothers 2005 era Athlon I obviously noticed a difference but not enough to spend money on a upgrade.

I can see games that aren't written for 9x not working but Hardware wise it really depends on what you are prepared to live with

Reply 7 of 7, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is the main bottleneck the CPU or the video card? You probably won't notice the weak CPU if it's matched with an OP card.

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.