VOGONS

Windows NT 4.0

Topic actions

First post, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not a gaming OS, but lots of games used to run on it nonetheless back in the day. Unfortunately the search function here rejects 'NT' as a search term so I don't know if this has been discussed before.

Has anyone built a mid/late 1990s Windows NT 4.0 machine that also runs the popular games of the day? I'm currently thinking of doing this myself. What would be the best GFX card that could be used? What sorts of problems would likely be encountered running games on such a system?

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.

Reply 1 of 45, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't have any answers for you but I am wondering the same thing. I've been wanting to build a duel PPro machine for awhile now since I have a motherboard laying around. It seems the only real practical choice for mid 90's SMP machines is Windows NT.

Reply 2 of 45, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Most DDraw3 games like Diablo and Starcraft require 2 MB graphics RAM. So a 4 MB card would be sufficient to run higher Modes as well. This could be f.e. a Riva128/S3 Vision968/Matrox Millenium . For 3D acceleration you could use Voodoo2 (SLI) as Glide runs well within NT4.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 4 of 45, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Asides from Glide you can also use OpenGL if your card/driver supports that. Voodoo(2) and Riva 128 should work for glQuake. A Millennium might very well also have an OpenGL driver but since it doesn't accelerate texturing it is of no use for games here. See also http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/athlon-kx … dup,186-18.html (Quake 3 under NT 4.0 with GeForce 256).
If you don't want to try 3D acceleration a Millennium is certainly a fine choice.

Reply 5 of 45, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lots of early DX3 Games work fine on it and there's an unofficial DX5 patch that fools some games into working.
Some glide games work, and OGL games work really well.
I use it on a machines that have no USB ports that I also put Win95 on.
Its biggest downfall is no USB 🤣, it boots really fast compared to 2k, and the resource usage at boot is very low.

Reply 6 of 45, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It might surprise you, but there is USB for NT4 for a long time: ftp://78.46.141.148/archiv/Windows/nt4/USB/
And it works pretty well with all common USB devices.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel

Reply 9 of 45, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

NT4 was great. I used it with a Voodoo3 for a while. It's not without its shortcomings though. I think worse than lack of USB out of the box is the lack of device manager. Installing new hardware can be really awkward.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 10 of 45, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
2fort5r wrote:

Not a gaming OS, but lots of games used to run on it nonetheless back in the day.

This aspect of NT annoyed me back in the 90's:
VESA doesn't work. see NOLFB - Disables LFB enabling DOS games to fallback to VESA 1.2 modes

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 11 of 45, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I doubt he want to use NT4 to run DOS games in the NT virtual DOS machine. It might be better to use Dosbox for this then.

Youtube Channel

Reply 12 of 45, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Depends.

If the machine is too old for mid 90's+ games in DOSBox using NT4 then NTVDM (with VDMSound & NOLFB)\Virtual PC\Vmware can be used.

It's best to have a 9x\NT4 dual-boot so you can use 9x\DOS when a game will not work or will not work well in NT4.

Google FTW
Windows NT 4.0

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 17 of 45, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I've always wanted to try it, but never really had the chance. I'm kind of surprised it lacks a device manager.

That is one of the major things I do not like about NT4.

Reply 18 of 45, by Callahan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Most recent graphics i've used on my nt4 machines was radeon 9600 with ibm driver: 7.86.4-030526a-009526E-IBM.
I haven't tested but there also is somekind a driver from scitech "snap graphics". They supports even gf6600 and radeon x850,as they wrote.
Posted here:
ftp://alter.org.ua/incoming/soft/vbe/snap318/snapfaq.htm#p3

Also for some modern cards-but without acceleration d3d/Ogl- is vbe project, i used this on my nt 3.51 wks.
http://www.navozhdeniye.narod.ru/vbemp.htm

Inside Out networks IonUsb 4.20 drivers are working very well on compaq ap550 and sp750 with Via controller!

Cpq: ap550(2x1G/256k), sp750(2x900/2MB), 5100(2xpII300)
TD-30 2xP166 NT 3.51
HP Vectra XU 6/200 2x PIIOD 512MB FPM Banshee
Super S2DG2@550/2MB SCSI 15k V5 5500
P4T533-C P4 3,06 Ti4600
Dell T700r @P3-700 V3 3500
PR440FX-2x PIIOD Voodoo 4500 PCI r320 CT1920

Reply 19 of 45, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Currently running with a Matrox Millennium G450. It runs OpenGL games very well (Q3A/HL/RTCW) with a 450Mhz P2. Results for other games are mixed. A lot of games from that era want DX8 and don't support OpenGL.

This reminds me, didn't early versions of WarCraft 3 support GL? I remember there was a command-line option to force it to run in GL mode instead of DX. Quality was inferior IIRC so that's why they probably removed it, but it would still be useful here.

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.