VOGONS

First post, by Splinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've only ever seen these here in Argentina and can't quite see the point of having the card bracket fixing point actually outside the case. You have to take the side off anyway.
There's a little cover that screws over it.
2014-08-07145437_zps07a4c7c2.jpg

2014-08-07145423_zpsc0204a2f.jpg

http://www.compufixshop.com
Main rig Ryzen 2600X Strix RX580 32GB RAM
Secondary rig FX8350 GTX960 16GB RAM

Reply 1 of 9, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It makes it easier to access the screws. Actually a good idea.

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.

Reply 2 of 9, by TELEPACMAN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looks like late 90's Compaq engineering.

Reply 3 of 9, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've seen a few cases like that here. Often, there'e some sort of a metal bracket that screws to the outside of the case, concealing the screws the cards are mounted in place with.

Reply 4 of 9, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

I used to have a case with a similar rear panel for my Socket 7 rig.

GI0Lxmnl.png XFvU5ywl.png

(Sorry about the picture quality, I know it's horrendous 😵 ).

After many years of use I got tired of it and finally replaced it with an Antec KS-288. It was also very rusty, dirty and cramped so I sent it to the local recycling center.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 5 of 9, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The point is that it's cheaper to manufacture.

This way, the entire back panel of the case can be stamped out of a single sheet of metal.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 6 of 9, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:

This way, the entire back panel of the case can be stamped out of a single sheet of metal.

Exactly. Newer cases have kick-out backplates for the same reason: instead of actually making backplates, they use what would otherwise be wasted. Furthermore, the technology itself becomes a few steps simpler (and cheaper).

Small wonder such cases are usually crappy. Just look at the metal. (No offence, JayCeeBee64)

Reply 7 of 9, by Splinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The other problem is cutting your fingers on these cheapo cases and the metal is so thin that the whole thing is so noisy.
Here's a collection of backplates from dead mobos. I'm trying to sell them as I know what it's like having a mobo without one.
2014-08-05153704_zps300e8415.jpg

http://www.compufixshop.com
Main rig Ryzen 2600X Strix RX580 32GB RAM
Secondary rig FX8350 GTX960 16GB RAM

Reply 8 of 9, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One thing I don't like are 'tool free' cases that use latches instead of screws. Some server cases implement this well, but done badly it's a mess, resulting in wobbly cards and loose panels/drives. Fortunately most of these designs also have holes for screws.

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.

Reply 9 of 9, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
RacoonRider wrote:
SquallStrife wrote:

Exactly. Newer cases have kick-out backplates for the same reason: instead of actually making backplates, they use what would otherwise be wasted. Furthermore, the technology itself becomes a few steps simpler (and cheaper).

Small wonder such cases are usually crappy. Just look at the metal. (No offence, JayCeeBee64)

None taken RacoonRider, I know what you and SquallStrife are saying - I only paid $25.00 for that case in 2002, and the so-called "quality construction" certainly shows why 😅 . I ended up keeping only the screws, spacers and slot covers, everything else was trash 😵

Ooohh, the pain......