VOGONS

AGP positions

Topic actions

First post, by Splinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This has always puzzled me; why board makers don't position stuff such as capacitors, that don't impede other important parts.
In this example, it's easy to accidentally catch the cap to the right.
Other than that, a damn good Intel D865perl board, which I picked up last week for peanuts:
2014-08-08162625_zps08d85fe9.jpg

http://www.compufixshop.com
Main rig Ryzen 2600X Strix RX580 32GB RAM
Secondary rig FX8350 GTX960 16GB RAM

Reply 1 of 5, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Reminds me that I recently had to use pliers to get a molex connector loose from an optical drive. Fortunately I only broke the floppy drive (which are easily replaceable).

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.

Reply 2 of 5, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And what if you catch the cap? It doesn't have teravolts inside 😜

Core i7-13700 | 32G DDR4 | Biostar B760M | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 32" AOC 75Hz IPS + 17" DEC CRT 1024x768 @ 85Hz
Win11 + Virtualization => Emudeck @consoles | pcem @DOS~Win95 | Virtualbox @Win98SE & softGPU | VMware @2K&XP | ΕΧΟDΟS

Reply 3 of 5, by Splinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GeorgeMan wrote:

And what if you catch the cap? It doesn't have teravolts inside 😜

The catch is actually touching the cap, so the risk is bending the cap off.
Either way, it also makes it tricky to get the card out.

Reply 4 of 5, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've had the same frustration with the Express slot on a Dell GX280 SFF board. It makes me wonder if the people who order sockets don't even look at the board layouts first. If they're going to put components there, then it would be better if the slot didn't have that lock on it. You just about have to poke in a screwdriver to unlock it while removing the card. Yet the system is intended to be toolless.

Generally speaking, on most installations, I find those video card locks to be an annoyance. I'm sure it's a good idea for heavy cards, but 95% of the time I'm swapping relatively light cards around on older boards, so those locks just get irritating. I can't say I've ever had a card "fall out" of the simpler type.
But to be fair, there's always the option of cutting the lock off, and I've never done that, just because I think maybe "someday" I'll want it there.
I think I prefer the lock used on some AGP slots where there's a separate piece that could be removed. This way I think the lock could be disabled without it being permanently broken.

I had an old HP that came with a card that was big enough that it really needed extra support, and for that card, HP designed it to screw into the case. They didn't hide a teensy tiny little lock underneath the socket where you can't reach it. That can only work with a proprietary chassis though. ATX doesn't provide a standardized solution for this, so we're left with trying to support heavy cards from the socket itself.

Reply 5 of 5, by Splinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I agree wholeheartedly and using a thin screwdriver or plastic stick can help.
I have a Sapphire 7950 in my main rig, which is about 30 cms long. I often wonder how the PCIe slot manages to hold it.
Some people attach the end of the card with string to the top of the case to support it, which I may try.