VOGONS

First post, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A long ass time ago some one decided it would be an awesome idea to ruin a keyboard by writing other things on the keys with some kind of an ultra mega giga marker that can not be erased even when scrubbed and soaked in cleaning things (as well as 98% alcohol).

This are the images: 1 2 3

After 2 hours of cleaning, i cant even remove the black dirt fully, i decided to quit.
It was an pitch black marker and now still traces are left.

Any one faced this and succeeded?

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 1 of 18, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What a fabulous keyboard.

I think it's impossible. I /have/ had unreasonable success when adding baking soda to my usual cleaners like diluted MrClean & Windex. Not as an abrasive, but as something for the guck to transfer to. Otherwise tedious toothbrush-scrubbing jobs suddenly become a bit of rub'n'wipe. Not really sure why the magic works.

I expect those marks have dyed in too deep, but if they respond at all to some prodding with the soda, then I'd make a block with a square hole on the bench so I could scrub the little buggers one-a-time but in quick efficient long strokes, production style.

Reply 2 of 18, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try lighter fluid (you know, for a flint type Zippo lighter), which is naphtha. Naphtha will remove and disolve almost ANYTHING from most ANY non-porus surface... without any damage to almost ANY surface 😀 It's great for removing any sort of gunk, tar, gum, crayons, permanent marker, wax, etc... dissolves the stuff almost INSTANTLY with NO 'elbow grease' 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 3 of 18, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Important Tip: use proper Ronsonol brand fluid. Can't recall the name, but the black tin stuff that has replaced Ronsonol locally is _filthy_ greasy crap.

Reply 4 of 18, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried scrubbing as well, removed those keys and one by one with soap. But no go.
I will try nafta 😀

Reply 5 of 18, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stojke wrote:

I tried scrubbing as well, removed those keys and one by one with soap. But no go.
I will try nafta 😀

I will _almost_ guarantee that will remove it 😀

P.S. It goes without saying, no open flames around this stuff when using it as a cleaning agent 🤣!

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 6 of 18, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Would bleach do anything?

You may want to remove the keys individually and leave them to soak in some cleaning solution for several hours/days/weeks.

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.

Reply 7 of 18, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

And remove the actual letter as well 🤣
Its a cool keyboard, the calc LCD is a bit broken, gonna fix that too 😀

Reply 8 of 18, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Apparently putting the loose keys in a net bag tied shut and putting it through a washing machine does wonders, but I've not tried this.

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.

Reply 9 of 18, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Would retrobrite help?

Reply 10 of 18, by Holering

User metadata

This might be too strong, but nail polish remover works. I used it to remove oil based spray paint on some CRT monitors. If scrubbing too hard it can leave streaks so it's not always recommended.

Reply 11 of 18, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Whoa, what keyboard is that? It looks awesome! What type of switches does it have?

To clean it, try brake cleaner. It's basically naphta in a spray can (and dirt cheap too) 😉

Reply 12 of 18, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I will start with naphta at first, than acetone (Nail polish remover) as optional if the first one fails.
I will go to zippo shop tomorrow when i finish with post office.

jwt27 wrote:

Whoa, what keyboard is that? It looks awesome! What type of switches does it have?
To clean it, try brake cleaner. It's basically naphta in a spray can (and dirt cheap too) 😉

I'ts the Focus FK-5001 programmable keyboard with clock and calculator 😀
Posted a topic asking for manual as well.
Its an mechanical keyboard, you can read here : http://deskthority.net/wiki/Focus_FK-5001

Reply 13 of 18, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used Mr clean magic eraser on black marker on my ibm model m keyboards and it worked great...got rid of all traces of nasty black permanent marker.

Oh...and this is from wikipedia:

These markers are generally used on hard, non-porous surfaces, because instead of staining they form a surface layer that can be removed by high pressure cleaning or paint thinners and organic solvents such as acetone, xylene, or toluene.Isopropyl alcohol and ethyl acetate are preferred cleaners when used indoors, as their fumes are much less hazardous than toluene and xylene, the main components of paint thinner, or longer-chain hydrocarbons found in mineral spirits. Other common non-polar solvents include benzene,turpentine and other terpenes (which constitute essential oils of many plants with strong scents), most ethers, chloroform and dichloromethane,hydrocarbon fuels, and diacetone alcohol, among many others. Note that most of these solvents are very flammable, and/or their concentrated vapors are harmful to health.

Most brands of "permanent" marker wipe off easily with acetone free nail polish remover, the kind containing ethyl acetate, a relatively non-toxic organic solvent.

Some markers are designed to be long lasting, for instance by having two inks, one specialized to resist solvents, and one specialized not to fade.[citation needed] These can be available in refillable form.[citation needed]

A permanent marker can also be removed by drawing over it with a dry erase marker on non-porous surfaces such as a whiteboard[2] as dry erase markers also contain a non-polar solvent. Most dry-erase board cleaner solutions also contain effective organic solvents like 2-butoxyethanolwhich will do the job.

Source: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permanent_marker

Reply 14 of 18, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

We don't have that here 🙁
Same for Ronsonol it seems, will have to use Zippo lighter fluid.

Reply 15 of 18, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Zippo brand fluid should be just as clean as Ronsonol. (If not, I'd suspect a fake product.)

Reply 17 of 18, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stojke wrote:

Tried Ronsonol i bought at a gas station : http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons … ghter_Fluid.JPG

It removes absolutely nothing at all 🤣
A friend told me to try WD40.

WD40 won't do anything to remove that. It just makes your keys greasy.

Reply 18 of 18, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used oil based nail polish remover. It seems that the marker penetrated some kind of an protective lacquer that the remover dissolved.
It didn't damage the printings but i guess i should reapply some thin layer of lacquer.