Biostar MB-8433UUD-A

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 204, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You mean disable Slow refresh?

I can try again when I get home. I haven't looked at EDO vs. non EDO RAM either.

The benchmark differences was between BIOS defaults and the settings on the screen. I didn't go into trying out individual settings as I won't be tweaking it and just leaving it on the default settings.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 21 of 204, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nope, I mean 'enable' slow refresh. You had a post showing a screen shot of the "tuned BIOS", whereby "Slow Refresh" was set to "disabled". This isn't so much a tweaking setting, it just means that you don't have to refresh the capacitor in your DRAM cells so often to maintain the memory state. Theoretically, it is suppose to free up time for the system to do other tasks, but I have not noticed any benchmark improvements. I like to think of this setting as reducing wear and tear on your DRAM.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 22 of 204, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah, I see it now 😀

Yes it didn't make a difference. 1 tick difference in Doom -timedemo demo 3.

Also using standard non-EDO ram makes hardly a difference. 1360 realticks with tuned BIOS.

I tried "EDO DRAM Read Speed" and it made no difference. Got the exact same Doom score.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 23 of 204, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those were also the conclusions I came to. The only real benefit to FPM (non-EDO) memory is if you wanted to fun faster cache timings with FSB's greater than 33 MHz. Since you are not interested in tweaking, this doesn't matter, but in general, I have had better luck running FPM memory with faster cache timings at 40 and 66 MHz compared to EDO memory on PCI-based 486 motherboards.

Reply 24 of 204, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've got an MB-8433UUD-A Ver 2 and the Odin battery kicked the bucket.
The amount of solder on the pins is too little for me to try to desolder it with my crappy tools.

Is there a way to work around an external battery? What is exactly an Odin battery and why does it have so much pins?

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 25 of 204, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stojke wrote:

I've got an MB-8433UUD-A Ver 2 and the Odin battery kicked the bucket.
The amount of solder on the pins is too little for me to try to desolder it with my crappy tools.

Is there a way to work around an external battery? What is exactly an Odin battery and why does it have so much pins?

Here is a guide for the Dallas/Odin chip modification without desoldering.

http://www.mcamafia.de/mcapage0/dsrework.htm

Last edited by Skyscraper on 2015-09-01, 17:01. Edited 2 times in total.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 26 of 204, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Usually what I do to remove ICs is to just clip them off with some very fine wire clippers...then you can desolder the stubs one at a time (try to leave enough to pull on with tweezers). If the amount of solder is not enough, just add more.

It's even possible to put in a new socket without using a solder sucker. All you have to do is use a pin or a needle to poke a hole in the solder after you've heated the pad. It probably takes a little longer than using the correct tools, but it works okay and doesn't seem to cause any damage.

I'm not sure how well this would work on an odin chip. I have done this to remove SGS Thompson RTCs, but those had pins that were more exposed on the sides like a regular IC. I suppose if there is enough clearance at the bottom you could use some really fine clippers.

Or if you have two 45+ W irons, you can solder each row of pins together on the back of the board, and then heat each side simultaneousy with the who irons and lightly tap the chip out. You might be able to do it with one iron if it's hot enough and you switch between the two rows quickly.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 27 of 204, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I do not beleive there is sufficient clearance on this board to clip off the RTC pins.

The ODIN on this board is the same as the Dallas 12887.

Reply 28 of 204, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, the main problem is that the space around the battery is very confined making it impossible to clip the pins.
Should i attempt the drill and solder hack or solder thin wires (from PATA 80pin cable) from below the board?

Reply 29 of 204, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Drill? No.

I am not sure if connecting two RTC's in parallel will yield the desired functionality, but you could try.

Reply 30 of 204, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Adding a battery parallel will increase capacity.
Since its known what values are inside the Odin chip i think simply dragging lines from below and adding a socket on top will solve the problem.

Reply 31 of 204, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have not noticed any benchmark improvements. I like to think of this setting as reducing wear and tear on your DRAM.

I wouldn't think of DRAM refreshes from significantly affecting its life. I mean it probably does but DRAM is still cheap and it lasts generally lasts a loong time
but wouldn't reducing the refresh potentially reduce stability?

Reply 32 of 204, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The ODIN/DALLAS is not just a battery, it contains a real-time clock (RTC) module. So you if you double-up the module, you also double-up the RTC. Even if you are to just add a coin battery to the bottom of the motherboard, I still think you need to cut the lines which connect the battery inside the old RTC. Connecting two batteries of differential potential in parallel is a no-no. The old battery is undoubtably at a very low voltage and the new battery will be at a much higher voltage, so you need to discect the old RTC to disconnect the battery. It is generally acceptable to connect two batteries of any voltage in series (to increase the voltage), or two batteries of the same voltage in parallel (to increase the max current output), but not two batteries of different voltages in parallel.

Reply 33 of 204, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
smeezekitty wrote:

I have not noticed any benchmark improvements. I like to think of this setting as reducing wear and tear on your DRAM.

I wouldn't think of DRAM refreshes from significantly affecting its life. I mean it probably does but DRAM is still cheap and it lasts generally lasts a loong time
but wouldn't reducing the refresh potentially reduce stability?

If the system is refreshing the DRAM less, the system has more time for other tasks. I have not had any issue with 60 ns FPM DRAM not working with "slow refresh". Most chips support this.

Reply 34 of 204, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not only is it located in a very inaccessible area but its not socketed.
Some one decided to engineer that area while high.

I am not sure I will desolder it properly. And cutting/drilling the plastic case can look ugly.

Reply 35 of 204, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some v3.0 boards have a RTC socket. I suspect all v3.1 boards have the RTC socket. If you are attempting to desolder, use approx 435 C for no more than about 5 sec. at a time and use a solder sucker. Do not try to pry the RTC off as this will pull out the through hole conductor.

Reply 36 of 204, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have desoldered ICs before with an electric pump, but this has way too little solder on the pins for it to catch anything properly.
I have access to an hot air station as well as an temperature adjusting soldering iron.

Reply 37 of 204, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Invest in a de-soldering station with pump. Such a life saver. It made removing the old RTC and putting in a socket very easy.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 38 of 204, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What is the model of your desoldering tool?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium