Extremely slow VIA Nehemiah CPU

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 24, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
smeezekitty wrote:

I wonder if there is a way to make a patch to fake EncodePointer atleast. Pretty stupid for a program to fail to run for something as useless as "EncodePointer"

I though that's what KernelEx is for. According to the release notes EncodePointer was added four years ago.

Reply 21 of 24, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote:

Sure a C3 Nehemiah has to be rated half its MHz when compared to a P-III Coppermine.
Still, at 1200MHz for example it runs Quake in 640x480 at 71 FPS.
Considering it is multiplier adjustable on the fly, it is like an AMD K6+ but able to plug in a i440BX motherboard. An interesing option for retro systems IMO.

Using this CPU on a 440BX motherboard does sound interesting, but I think the clock scaling wouldn't accomplish much. The big power savings comes from scaling the Vcore, and desktop 440BX boards won't have that ability. The power consumption of a low end Coppermine CPU (~500-600MHz socket-370) is already very low even without scaling, so I'm not sure there's much idle power consumption left to save by switching it to a C3. Would it even be 5 watts?
I've never had a C3, so I don't really know. It would be fun to experiment with anyway. Low power P3 builds are interesting for unattended light duty functions - the parts are basically given away and they're cheap to run in the background.
For purely a game machine, I figure it wouldn't be running long enough to care much about the power usage.

Reply 22 of 24, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Most people here attempt system slowdown/downclock for Game compatibility, not for power saving.
There are quite a few games that start to malfunction when ran on a 200 to 1400MHz system, some have issues with speeds below that.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 23 of 24, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote:

Most people here attempt system slowdown/downclock for Game compatibility, not for power saving.
There are quite a few games that start to malfunction when ran on a 200 to 1400MHz system, some have issues with speeds below that.

True, that makes sense. For some reason I wasn't thinking about the overspeed issues that some games have. If there's software utilities to manually set the multiplier, then it would indeed be a convenient setup for those games.

Reply 24 of 24, by j7n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
smeezekitty wrote:

I wonder if there is a way to make a patch to fake EncodePointer atleast. Pretty stupid for a program to fail to run for something as useless as "EncodePointer"

This patch allows to run programs compiled for XP SP2 (but not SP3). I am using it on another computer which has SP1 installed. Applications with networking like web browsers also need an updated iphlpapi.dll.

I have since watched instructions where that the metal foil below the CPU heatsink was called "protective" and was put back on with the heatsink. Maybe I was too hasty in throwing it away. Still I fail to see its purpose in the arrangement metal-paste-foil-cpu.

Curiously, all programs and bios reported that the cpu was runing at 1 GHz while it was slow. Normally CPU-Z shows the frequency multiplier changing with load.

gerwin wrote:

Most people here attempt system slowdown/downclock for Game compatibility...

Yes indeed. My main interest with this system was to see how its GPU will run 3D games. So far it runs Rally Championship and Darkstone. The latter looks ugly though because it's in 640*480 resolution and the screen is larger. There is one game... Sports Car GT, which requires win98 or XP SP1 to work, and crashes on sp2/sp3.