VOGONS

Reply 21 of 44, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a few PCI cards, but I wouldn't recommend any of them for DOS games. Sound Blaster Live! is probably the most compatible but it runs Midi at varying speeds since it has to emulate a SB16.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 22 of 44, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

I have a few PCI cards, but I wouldn't recommend any of them for DOS games. Sound Blaster Live! is probably the most compatible but it runs Midi at varying speeds since it has to emulate a SB16.

Already have a live hooked up, I'll continue to use it.

Reply 23 of 44, by phantom_pl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Years ago (~1999 or so) I have had an aureal vortex 1 card, Diamond Sonic Impact S90.
I have played a lot of DOS games then, both in Win9x DOS window and in real mode DOS, and it always worked fine anfd never gave me any trouble.
Most vortex cards do have a daughterboard connector, so you can easily add true GM compatibility in real DOS mode.
My vote for a vortex card.

Reply 24 of 44, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmmm in the past I have used a few PCI sound cards in pure DOS. The Ensoniq Audio PCI which later became several Creative cards, The original Sound Blaster Live! and I believe I also used a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. None of them I would recommend. The Vortex 1 and Vortex 2 based cards have a following and it is with good reason. I have just started playing with the Vortex 1 and 2 in DOS and I would definitely say, without hesitation, that these are the cards to use for DOS and Windows 98 if you have to use a PCI slot. Listen to the folks with more experience than I who recommend these cards, they have a long and brilliant track record.

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 25 of 44, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here is an example on ebay, looks like it just needs a little cleaning.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turtle-Beach-TB400-33 … =item2ed79d5713

Windows 98 SE

Reply 27 of 44, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are also cheap OEM X-Fi cards on eBay. But not all of them work with the stock Creative drivers from their website. I have one, which works, so look out for model number 670. It has this metal bit near the headphone ports.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 28 of 44, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Skyscraper wrote:

Strange, there should be loads of them.
Perhaps Im spoiled with our local "Ebay" where bare cards often sell for less than 5$.

WOW. Can I move there? 😁 I'm seeing $100+ for card plus expansion bay.

Reply 29 of 44, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AidanExamineer wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

Perhaps Im spoiled with our local "Ebay" where bare cards often sell for less than 5$.

Here are some cards I have rescued from dumpsters or won with a ~0.1 Euro starting bid on Swedish "Ebay" (called Tradera but owned by Ebay).
I have more... these are just ones that isnt in systems or lost in my messy apartment 😀
Sweden is probably a paradise for dumpster divers because people just throw everything away.
I hate to see working hardware get thrown away so I save at least some of the stuff I see.

dumpstercards.jpg

Here is an auction with a Audigy 2 with the 5.25" bay.
It ends soon and current bid is ~1 Euro 😀
Its a shame we have our own "Ebay" so you others get left out in the cold.
But it does say "International buyers accepted" on this one.

[edit] It sold for ~1 Euro [/edit]

http://www.tradera.com/item/120305/217213727/ … igy-2-med-docka

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 31 of 44, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Skyscraper wrote:
Here are some cards I have rescued from dumpsters or won with a ~0.1 Euro starting bid on Swedish "Ebay" (called Tradera but own […]
Show full quote
AidanExamineer wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

Here are some cards I have rescued from dumpsters or won with a ~0.1 Euro starting bid on Swedish "Ebay" (called Tradera but owned by Ebay).
I have more... these are just ones that isnt in systems or lost in my messy apartment 😀
Sweden is probably a paradise for dumpster divers because people just throw everything away.
I hate to see working hardware get thrown away so I save at least some of the stuff I see.

I think Japan is the same way. I lived there during my Junior year of college, and small appliances seemed to be seasonal. My roommate and I picked up a like-new toaster oven, space heater (which we REALLY needed come winter), and electric kettle from the campus recycling building.

One of my professors said they come out in new colors and designs constantly, and people just buy new ones.

Reply 32 of 44, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
2fort5r wrote:

I have a SB Audigy 2 ZS but haven't tried it in DOS. How would it work? Does it have the DDMA/SB-Link functionality mentioned in that thread?

The Audigy 2 ZS does not have the dos drivers on the install disc unfortunately so you will have to use the original Audigy's dos drivers. A patch is also required due to there being something different in the hardware between the Audigy and Audigy 2 ZS. Here's the link (Just scroll to the bottom of the page):

http://mpxplay.sourceforge.net

The only SB PCI card available with the SB-Link connector is the extremely hard to find CT4600/CT4650 AWE64D PCI card. The rest of the SB PCI cards rely on emulation via software as opposed to a direct link via the SB-Link cable. I'd love to find one myself but have been looking for over a year and the only one I found for sale was from a guy on Amibay but he wanted $200 US including shipping to Australia. Definetly not worth that much for a used PCI sound card.

Reply 33 of 44, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks, when I have time I'll try this. I have a stack of old S370 mobos from c.2000 in storage. One of them must work. I also have a YMF724 card which I understand supports both DDMA and SB-Link, though I don't have this cable. I have to test that as well.

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.

Reply 34 of 44, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:
Here are some cards I have rescued from dumpsters or won with a ~0.1 Euro starting bid on Swedish "Ebay" (called Tradera but own […]
Show full quote
AidanExamineer wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

Ah so I'm not the only one doing this 😀 That's how I got a Media Vision PAS16NS, Audigy 2 ZS, a bunch of Live! cards, X-Fi with 5.25" bay etc. 😀

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 36 of 44, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MrEWhite wrote:

I picked up that TB card that was linked, someone mind linking 98 drivers?

Great card! I use the same for all my Windows 98 SE videos 😀

I always use the latest Aureal reference drivers. They also have all the A3D surround demos which is something everyone with an Aureal card should experience (set it to headphones).

http://www.philscomputerlab.com/aureal-vortex-2.html

Also on the site are the TB drivers, one comes with SB emulation, the other one just for Windows. Unfortunately I don't know which one is which 😊 If you can test and find out please let me know.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 37 of 44, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
philscomputerlab wrote:
Great card! I use the same for all my Windows 98 SE videos :) […]
Show full quote
MrEWhite wrote:

I picked up that TB card that was linked, someone mind linking 98 drivers?

Great card! I use the same for all my Windows 98 SE videos 😀

I always use the latest Aureal reference drivers. They also have all the A3D surround demos which is something everyone with an Aureal card should experience (set it to headphones).

http://www.philscomputerlab.com/aureal-vortex-2.html

Also on the site are the TB drivers, one comes with SB emulation, the other one just for Windows. Unfortunately I don't know which one is which 😊 If you can test and find out please let me know.

When I try to install the setup exe nothing happens, I da something in the main files which installed the drivers.
And look, Blood doesn't crash in 98 mode anymore. Joy.
Also, the Live sounds better imo, can you give me any audio configurations that would improve the quality?
EDIT: Never mind, got the X1 file to install, it DOES NOT DOS support. The other one I couldn't get working either.

Reply 38 of 44, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
2fort5r wrote:

Thanks, when I have time I'll try this. I have a stack of old S370 mobos from c.2000 in storage. One of them must work. I also have a YMF724 card which I understand supports both DDMA and SB-Link, though I don't have this cable. I have to test that as well.

You'll get much better results using the YMF724 card you have if you use the SB-Link connector. The cable you're after can be purchased here:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/2Pcs-2-54mm-Pitch-6Pin- … h-/150789555519

Reply 39 of 44, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What is written on the chip of the TB card? AU8830, AU8820 or AU8810?

Windows 98 SE