VOGONS

First post, by b_rros

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

I used some parts I had and built a AMD DX4 100 in a PCI motherboard, for what I could see it's a SOYO 30H-B2 (???). I was hoping to use this computer to play DOOM and DOOM 2.

The specs are:
AMD DX4 100
32 MB of RAM
AWE32 CT3900 with a Yamaha DBXG50 daughterboard
Diamond Stealth 64 PCI video card, 2 MB of RAM and...
IBM Microdrive as a hard drive, I had one of those CF to IDE adapters and since the microdrive was the only CF card I had I used it as my primary disc.

The thing is, the computer is slow, DOOM slows down, a lot. Is the microdrive causing the slowdowns? Maybe it's not fast enough to be used as a hard drive.
Or maybe something else, some card or bios setting?

Here's some pics and some Speedsys tests

IMG_20141013_214739_zps45e6a598.jpg

IMG_20141013_214641_zpsa6e74e5d.jpg

SSTIMG01_zpsba57f91a.jpg

Reply 1 of 17, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi!

I also use mico drivers every now and then. But mostly Seagate and I believe one Hitachi. But shouldn't make a difference. A slow hard drive does not cause slow downs in games.

The benchmarks scores are fine and the graphics card is also a very good performer in DOS games.

You can run the benchmarks here (one download in ZIP) and compare it with other DX2 and DX4 machines in the database:

Phil's Ultimate VGA Benchmark Database Project

Because "slowdowns" are subjective, personally I can see some slowdowns on a Pentium 100 when the action gets intense, but they are super minor. A DX4 should play it fairly well however.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 17, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would see if you could tighten your cache and memory timings and stay stable. It will make the system a lot faster if you can.

Your VGA also appears a little slow

Reply 4 of 17, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Your hardware setup looks more then enough to play Doom. I'm assuming your playing in pure dos
Have you got a old HDD to test with? then you'll know one way or the other if its the CF card, shouldn't think so though

Reply 5 of 17, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Love that case btw!

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 6 of 17, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When I had the Am486DX4-100 installed in a VLB motherboard I measured this:
Doom Registered v1.9 "-Timedemo Demo3"; 1 level of green border; with sound+music: 39,71 Frames per second.
The frame rate cap of the game is 35 FPS.
Frame rate is Calculated like this: FPS = Gametics / Realtics x 35

If the disk drive is the cause of slowdowns, then it should only slow down when new data is loaded. Not when just running circles in the same room.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 7 of 17, by b_rros

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The game stops when something explode or a new bad guy show up... the same thins happens in duke nukem 3d 🙁

I'm pretty sure it's a microdrive problem, I put the microdrive in a 486 DX2 66 MHz I have and where I'm pretty sure DOOM run fine and the same thing happened...
I will try to find a new CF card to try.

Reply 8 of 17, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You should start by comparing your Speedsys scores with those found in spreadsheet contained within the Ultimate 486 Benchmark Comparison pdf document.

For an AMD DX4-100 with 8 KB of write-through L1 cache, as you have, you should be targeting Speedsys numbers in this [stable] range,

L1: 73 MB/s
L2: 51 MB/s
RAM: 37 MB/s.

Your scores are nearly half of these in cases and I would expect your Doom framerates to reflect this. With most motherboards, these slow speeds can be corrected by adjusting the external cache and memory timings within the BIOS.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 9 of 17, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My speedsys scores with that CPU are:
L1: 62,91MB/s
L2: 40,53 MB/s
RAM: 27,12 MB/s (60ns FPM, minimal waitstates)
Image in this topic
Which is similar to b_rros, except for the RAM speed.
Lower then what feipoa got, by 10MB/s each!? But I did not have a problem with Doom, and was in the impression that this is typical performance.

Then, I have bad experience with 2.5" laptop mechanical drives causing sound prefetch stutters in games. Solid state media has thus far been sufficiently fast to avoid such annoyance.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 10 of 17, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have found that SiS 496/497 and UMC 8881/8886 PCI-based motherboards tend to yield the numbers I noted with optimal stable timings. SiS 496/497 might yield 1-2 MB/s faster for the memory test. I, unfortunately, do not have any data for non-PCI 486 motherboards.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 11 of 17, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Regardless look at my speeds: download/file.php?id=14313

Your memory speed at 18MHz is quite dismal for a 496 chipset board

Reply 12 of 17, by b_rros

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, I was allways a guy of "LOAD SETUP DEFAULTS" in BIOS and go with it 😀

It's perfectly understandable if you just say something like RTFM, but... any chance of helping me tweaking the BIOS settings?
Here's how my BIOS is right now...

IMG_20141015_091945_zpsa04dff8d.jpg

IMG_20141015_091935_zps3e07fc4c.jpg

IMG_20141015_091926_zps2c2d30ee.jpg

IMG_20141015_091909_zpsd59bc580.jpg

What exactly do I need to change?

And about the manual, I found one online, it's here if anyone wants it:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/912999/30h-mu20.pdf

I have a Am5x86 P75 133 MHz processor, if I try to boot the motherboard with it it's detected as a 486DX4-s processor but at 100 MHz, in the manual I can't find this processor listed. Can I use it using another processor settings?

Thanks a lot again for all your help

Reply 13 of 17, by b_rros

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK, I found an old 800MB hard drive, move some cards and cables around, and install it in the PC and... DOOM runs fine now, I even installed Duke Nukem 3D (1.3 version) and the UNIVBE driver that came with the CD and I can even play Duke in 320x400 with no slow downs.

Maybe my microdrive is bad, I never used it much. I will still use it as a secondary drive on this PC to transfer things around.

Anyhow, I would still like to tweak the BIOS settings and install the Am5x86 processor if possible, so any help will be apreciated. 😀

dcd8647f-b6ee-4c30-a276-bc5fdb1d8717_zpsbf82413d.jpg

Reply 14 of 17, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool, always nice when you figure something out.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 15 of 17, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This link explains what the BIOS setting mean in plain English, so you can fine tune your PC and know what your doing at the same time 😀
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/mbsys/bios/set/index.htm

Reply 17 of 17, by b_rros

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
philscomputerlab wrote:

Cool, always nice when you figure something out.

I updated the spreadsheet with my results, at line 469. For what I could see it's not that much different from others with DX4 machines 😀