VOGONS

First post, by TandySensation

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was given a Seattle SE440BX-2 with a PII 350MHz and wanted to slow it down to run some benchmarks. Years ago I read about the B21 mod for going from 66MHz to 100MHz and decided to try it in reverse.

On the back of any Slot 1 board you'll see the pins for the slot on the back side. There are 4 columns of pins, the 11th pin up on the inside back column is pin21 - see attached image.

Soldered a wire to this and then ran it to a switch which was glued to the front of the board and the other end of the switch was soldered to a ground point. There was a hole in the motherboard making it easy to route the wires.

When the switch connects B21 to ground it forces the CPU to use 66MHz, this makes the P2-350 start up as a 233Mhz. Tried it with a P3-450 and it did not work and this only will slow down a P2 with a 100FSB, it will do nothing to speed up one with a 66MHz from the factory.

Thought I'd throw this out there if anyone wants to mess around with under-clocking a slot1 board. Want to compare a PII 233 with a PentiumMMX233, haven't found any benchmarks of that, everything I found was a 200 vs 233.

Attachments

• Filename
    b21.png
    File size
    68.04 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File comment
    Location of B21 on back of PCB
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 2, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice! I always wondered if the P2 was actually that much faster than the Pentium as Intel made it seem at the time, considering that the Pentium Pro had some performance problems with 16-bit software. I suspect that the only reason the P2 performed better than the PPro was due to faster clock speeds and SDRAM.