VOGONS

First post, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello everyone!

I'm in the process of "recreating" an enhanced version of my first machine (Pentium MMX 233 + 32MB RAM). I was looking for the parts until I found a Compaq Deskpro with a 200MHZ MMX, 32 MB ram and according to the seller, 3 PCI and 3 ISA slots. According to the info I was able to find here it's equipped with a "S3 Enhanced 64 bit Graphics with 3D Acceleration (PCI Card) w/2 MB ", which I can only imagine to be a Virge or a Trio3D. Also, it has built in ethernet, which is always nice. HP's page is a bit weird though, claiming the PC to use a P55C chipset (isn't that the processor's architecture?).

My intent is to add a nice ISA YMF719 (SBPro+WSS+OPL3) and, in the future, maybe a Voodoo2... and I'd like to add a decent PCI SATA/IDE controller to avoid issues with large HDDs (though this pc comes with a 6GB one) and run DOS+Win3.11, Windows 98 and, perhaps, Windows NT 3.51, and play some old games / use some old software I have from way back when the MMX was my main machine. Also I might drop an actual MMX 233 into it.

Does anyone know if this PC is a decent purchase for my intents? Or should I be aware of BIOS issues or any other problems?

Thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 19, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OEMs are fine but with all your modifications I recommend sticking with a self built generic model. I like OEMs because they are extremely well documented / dependable. But most dislike them because they are not flexible with regards to modification / overclocking.

Have fun!

Reply 3 of 19, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PeterLI wrote:

OEMs are fine but with all your modifications I recommend sticking with a self built generic model. I like OEMs because they are extremely well documented / dependable. But most dislike them because they are not flexible with regards to modification / overclocking.

All the "modifications" I plan on doing is dropping in a processor (which the HP site says is supported) and adding a few boards. Would that be much of a problem?

leileilol wrote:

Good luck! OEM Pentium comps skimp on the cache a lot so don't forget that too.

The site says "1MB or 512KB non upgradeable". For a MMX, how much should I be aiming?

Reply 4 of 19, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In some cases ISA / PCI slots are shared so that means you actually have very few. Most OEM desktops typically have 2 or 3 expansion slots only. Also: Compaq Deskpro's have proprietary MOBOs, FDDs and PSUs. So when something breaks you need to find / buy an exact replacement.

512KB/1MB should be fine.

Good luck!

Reply 5 of 19, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PeterLI wrote:

In some cases ISA / PCI slots are shared so that means you actually have very few. Most OEM desktops typically have 2 or 3 expansion slots only. Also: Compaq Deskpro's have proprietary MOBOs, FDDs and PSUs. So when something breaks you need to find / buy an exact replacement.

512KB/1MB should be fine.

Good luck!

It is a bit hard to tell because the seller didn't exactly tell the exact model, but from what I was able to find, there are 2 shared slots, one exclusive PCI and one exclusive ISA. That might be enough for what I'm trying to achieve. Depending on the shipping price I am leaning towards taking the chance (because the pc itself is dirty cheap and the case looks like it is in great condition).
Anyway, I've contacted the seller asking for more details about the machine.

Reply 7 of 19, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For socket 5 on up oems are usually nothing special except for the high end stuff but when the price is low enough that doesn't matter, get what you can get now days. Yard sales are Great for mopping up oems on the cheap, buying p4 rigs for a buck each xD.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 8 of 19, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The point about having problems when something breaks is very important. I recently got a Deskpro EP P600 for cheap which I was going to use as my machine for testing new expansion cards that I buy, since it has AGP, PCI and ISA slots. However after having it for about 1 month the PSU blew up 😖 Now I'm looking for a replacement and it's not easy. I would use a standard ATX PSU except that the Compaq PSU doesn't have a standard pinout.

So, I can get a replacement, try to fix it or modify a standard PSU to work with the PC. Neither option is very attractive. If it was now I would just get a standard Pentium II machine.

Reply 9 of 19, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm looking into another (non OEM) machine. Once the second seller replies with the full specs I'll make a decision.
[EDIT]
The plot thickens... would a M537 + MMX be a better option? Does anyone here have experience with this board or the VXPro chipset?

Reply 10 of 19, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've done some searching around the forums and apparently these VXPro stuff is laughter material. Back to considering the Compaq xD
(If only everyone selling retro PCs knew anything about the stuff they sell... the seller apparently can't tell whether his machine is a Deskpro 2000 or 4000)

Reply 11 of 19, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:

I've done some searching around the forums and apparently these VXPro stuff is laughter material. Back to considering the Compaq xD

As long as everything is working as it should you'll have no problems with the Compaq. The problematic parts to replace will be the PSU and motherboard. Everything else should be easily replaceable with standard components.

alexanrs wrote:

(If only everyone selling retro PCs knew anything about the stuff they sell...)

That's actually a good thing! Otherwise we'd be paying through the roof for retro parts.

Reply 12 of 19, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:

According to the info I was able to find here it's equipped with a "S3 Enhanced 64 bit Graphics with 3D Acceleration (PCI Card) w/2 MB ", which I can only imagine to be a Virge or a Trio3D.

Trio3D cards have 4 or 8MB, with 2MB your card should be some kind of Virge. Also Trio3D cards are usually AGP and not PCI, although PCI variants should be possible.
Should be fine for DOS and 2D Windows.

Reply 13 of 19, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My first job had Deskpro 2000 and 4000's as their minimum PC's, I've got about 8 of them in my parents garage.
They were only used as basic office PC's running Win95 or 98 but they were reliable both windows and hardware wise.
I never really worked out (or cared) what the difference was between the 2000 and 4000. parts definitely were interchangeable.

While I never upgraded them beyond more then RAM or HDD. Voodoo or sound card would work fine. I think some of mine are 200MMX but not 100% sure. I'll be visiting my parents in January if you want to wait till then?

But I'd say go for it. I think it would make a good solid base for a 9x PC

Reply 14 of 19, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've already bought it, and its on its way here =)
I only preferred the 4000 because it has slightly better onboard stuff, I think. Anyway, no deal breaker. A bit sad that shipping the monitor was a bit prohibitive cost-wise, so I only got the CPU.

Reply 15 of 19, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
idspispopd wrote:

Trio3D cards have 4 or 8MB, with 2MB your card should be some kind of Virge.

Mystery solved: http://computer-zoo.org/m/c/compaq_deskpro-4000-5200mmx.html

It's a Virge/GX.

Reply 16 of 19, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Every old PC is worth it, unless stability proves otherwise. Despite that some OEM PCs were proprietary in the 90's, They were pretty much equivalents to the custom PC in terms of upgradibility.

Dedicated Windows 95 Aficionado for good reasons:
http://toastytech.com/evil/setup.html

Reply 17 of 19, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A lot of the 200mmx cpu's were unlocked. So simply setting the multi at 3,5 or 1,5x (both work more often than not) can give you a 233mmx. The cpu will not care: it has headroom to spare.

Upping the fsb wasn't an option on most oem's but they usually had a jumper setting for the multiplier.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 18 of 19, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
devius wrote:
idspispopd wrote:

Trio3D cards have 4 or 8MB, with 2MB your card should be some kind of Virge.

Mystery solved: http://computer-zoo.org/m/c/compaq_deskpro-4000-5200mmx.html

It's a Virge/GX.

Ah, right, one of those Compaq OEM Virge cards. Actually that I could have deduced that from the complete information in the first link from alexanrs:
"S3 Enhanced 64 bit Graphics with 3D Acceleration (PCI Card) w/2 MB of 75Mhz SGRAM"
Virge/GX is the first Virge to support SGRAM. Most GX cards still use EDO RAM, Compaq OEM ones are the most common ones to actually use SGRAM. Still not too useful for 3D with only 2MB, but fine for DOS and 2D Windows. The only other option would have been a GX2 (MX is too unlikely).

Reply 19 of 19, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Virge was for The Deskpro 4000.... The Deskpro 2000 I got now seems to have a Trio64 V2 DX. Still great 2D, and it is not like Virge's 3D would be very useful. Btw it supports a VRAM upgrade, I will look into it.
So far I am fairly impressed with the BIOS setup... It looks like a mini Windows 3.x running the setup software on top 😀
The only thing I'm sad is The lack of USB legacy support... Using my wireless keyboard from my main PC would be much easier than reserving space for an extra PS2 one. Other than that I like it so far.