VOGONS

First post, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've finally managed to install Windows XP on my Acer netbook. Seemed like a great idea. Since the netbook is not a particularly powerful machine, it would do just fine as a mobile retro gaming platform. The thing is, it seems to only work without problems on new operating systems whose old game compatibility leaves much to be desired.

Everything works fine on XP except for the sound. In games there is a continuous cracking noise in the background. This does not occur when, for instance, listening to music or watching movies.

I've researched the problem and it turns out it's quite common on netbooks running Windows XP. The only suggested solution is to turn off hardware acceleration for sound in the audio settings. It works, but then there's a delay due to the fact that the sound is now software emulated. Suffice it to say I'm not willing to tolerate any sound delays or distortions.

Is there another way to fix the problem? It's be a shame to have to abandon such a great retro-gaming setup due to a seemingly minor sound problem.

The audio card on the netbook is Conexant HD Audio.

Reply 1 of 5, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Suggestions:

1: Switch drivers, if you're using windows provided drivers see if there are any manufacturer provided ones. If you're using manufacturer provided ones, try using windows provided ones.

2: Reduce master volume. If there's less crackling with lower master volume then consider external speakers or amplification (if you're using headphones). There's lots of VERY portable solutions.

3: Reducing hardware acceleration really should not result in audio lag. Are you sure it is?

Reply 2 of 5, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1. I first installed some drivers I found on the internet because I had thought that the ones provided by Acer wouldn't work on Windows XP (Since Acer wasn't nice enough to provide any drivers for XP). I then uninstalled those and tried installing the Acer-provided ones and they installed but there was no improvement.

2. That's not really an option. Either it will work fine without any additional hardware-related workarounds, or I will just go back to Windows 7.

3. I turned the acceleration off completely, so that the sound is software emulated which does, in fact, cause lag. I also tried the other acceleration reduction settings, as well as all the sample rate conversion settings, but nothing fixes the problem.

Reply 3 of 5, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This forum is for Windows games, You should ask hardware and driver questions in Marvin. Perhaps a mod can move this.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 5 of 5, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

due to some video playback fluency problems and the fact that EZBlocker for Spotify isn't compatible with XP I decided to go back to Windows 7.

Thanks for trying to help.

(The topic can now be closed)