VOGONS

First post, by phantom_pl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello

I recently got an old Soltek SL-54U5 mobo for, a friend.
It does work (after recapping) with single voltage CPU (checked on Pentium 133, and IDT C6), but I have one problem 🙁
All manuals available on the net, claims that the board should have two jumpers for selecting single & dual voltage CPU's.
Mentioned jumpers are JP17, JP18, and should be located just on the right side of CPU socket.
I can not find those jumpers on my board. There are two possibilities:
- I have a late revision, which does automatically detects CPU, and selects proper voltage for core and I/O
- I have an early revision, which does not support dual voltage CPU's 🙁
It can probably be checked by doing "battle test" - inserting a Pentium MMX CPU and watching is it frying or not, but I am not willing take that risk.

Does anybody have the same version of board, and/or matching manual and is willing to share his/hers wisdom?

http://s1369.photobucket.com/user/phantom_pl/ … faf50a.jpg.html

Reply 2 of 3, by phantom_pl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have found that this mainboard was available in 3 revisions (1.0, 2.0, 3.0).
All manuals that I have so far found on the web, are for version 3.0.
I have found, that they differed in possibilities to work with K-6's faster than 350Mhz, but don't know the details.
At least I now know that I am looking fro manuals v1.0 and 2.0 if anybody has them 😀

Reply 3 of 3, by phantom_pl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have dug to the archival Soltek website (Thank You Internet Archive Wayback Machine).
I Have found v2.0 manual (I'll upload it to the drivers library), and official Soltek attitude towards, using specific K6 CPU:

Q: Can I use K6-III on SL-54U5/U1? Shall I upgrade the BIOS for K6-III ?
A: We have redesigned the power circuit for K6-2 400 (and higher) CPUs and K6-III CPUs, so the motherboard must have JP17/JP18 jumpers can use K6-III CPU on this motherboard. Otherwise the CPUs do not over 350MHz. The BIOS Rev A3 (or higher) already supports K6-III CPUs.

So, I think I have found answer to my question 😀
According to above, I think I can safely run any split voltage CPU 😀 , unless it exceeds 350 MHz (it is not a good news for my K6-2 500MHZ 😢 ).

P.S. The difference between 1.0 and 2.0 is, that v2.0 supports 95MHz FSB, while v1.0 apparently don't.