VOGONS

Turtle Beach Tahiti any good?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 31, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stojke wrote:

But NEC X385 works on plenty of ISA cards. I could place it upside down, but thats just silly.
Thanks for the reply, i guess i will just listen some CD audio than 😀

I know, the problem is sometimes although they are electrically compatible, physically they are not you can't place the card back into the ISA slot, and viceversa.

The Rio synth that came with the Monterey was physically very similar to the WaveBlaster CT1900 and they are electrically compatible, so don't trow the towel yet.

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 21 of 31, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I installed my Monterey (Tahiti+Rio) in my Socket 3-based system last night. Got everything working in Windows 3.11 after about 45 minutes of trying to figure out why the MIDI portion wasn't working (no output). Definitely sounds great compared to the noisier SB cards I'm used to. Too bad this card/combo cannot be used for some of the more popular DOS games like DOOM, Duke3D, or other games with general midi music. It would be nice if there was a way to change the MIDI port.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 22 of 31, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I haven't tried it yet, but a driver to use the standard MPU-401 midi interface from DOS exists and it's available on Turtle Beach ftp site, I know it is used to run Cakewalk and other DOS based sequencers, so it should work also with any DOS application. I will try it when I have time, first I need to assemble a dedicated PC for this and other tests I have in mind.

Theoretically with the driver you could use this card in the same way as the Roland LAPC-I coupled with any SB pro to get digital effects and great MIDI music

Rio has 4Mb sample set uncompressed in 4Mb ROM so it's pretty good.

EDit: follow these instructions:
http://support.turtlebeach.com/entry/59036839/

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 23 of 31, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When i try to play CD Audio i get no output. I check the line levels and nothing is muted. The CD Audio Player shows that its playing and CD Drive indicates that its busy.
The CD Drive is NEC CDR-501.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 24 of 31, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stojke wrote:

When i try to play CD Audio i get no output. I check the line levels and nothing is muted. The CD Audio Player shows that its playing and CD Drive indicates that its busy.
The CD Drive is NEC CDR-501.

Of course you have the internal analog cable connected right ?

Also take a look at this.
http://support.turtlebeach.com/entry/590411830/

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 25 of 31, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vmunix wrote:
I haven't tried it yet, but a driver to use the standard MPU-401 midi interface from DOS exists and it's available on Turtle Bea […]
Show full quote

I haven't tried it yet, but a driver to use the standard MPU-401 midi interface from DOS exists and it's available on Turtle Beach ftp site, I know it is used to run Cakewalk and other DOS based sequencers, so it should work also with any DOS application. I will try it when I have time, first I need to assemble a dedicated PC for this and other tests I have in mind.

Theoretically with the driver you could use this card in the same way as the Roland LAPC-I coupled with any SB pro to get digital effects and great MIDI music

Rio has 4Mb sample set uncompressed in 4Mb ROM so it's pretty good.

EDit: follow these instructions:
http://support.turtlebeach.com/entry/59036839/

Yeah, Bristlehog mentioned that as well. I wonder if that utility lets you redirect the MPU-401 from the Windows Shell session to a specific port - like 330, for DOS games that use GM soundtracks. I may try it this weekend and see how far I get. All I really want is to hear those sweet, sweet GM DOOM tunes from the Rio daughterboard. 😎

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 27 of 31, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was a bit dissapointed to find out it doesn't digitally input the signal from the CD, but over analogue connection. My CD player already has kick ass analogue shit in it, so I burned WAV files onto a disk (with various music types and instruments) and I was amazed at how GOOD does this sound card sound.

There is no better sounding ISA sound card than the Turtle Beach Tahiti and Pinnacle that I have heard. Creative cards are crap compared to these, and AWE64 is a joke.
I still want to hear that rare CardD one.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 28 of 31, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Now you see it, many independent and commercial publications still have the Multisound series as benchmarks, particularly the Tahiti/Fiji.
In 1996 my room mate had a Monterey and when I listened to it and compared to my better than average Diamond sound card I went the other day to buy a Turtle Beach.

The card you have shines while recording, if you plug an electric guitar, keyboard or any instrument or even a turn table to record from vinyl.
Unfortunately the card doesn't like much DOS gaming, someone posted a list of compatible games, although if the game runs under Windows will certainly works, I haven't tried Scummvm yet but I suspect it'll work too.

Go to page 167
https://books.google.com.ar/books?id=eMKimy4D … epage&q&f=false

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 29 of 31, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vmunix wrote:

Unfortunately the card doesn't like much DOS gaming, someone posted a list of compatible games

I posted a small list of Tahiti-compatible games at the previous page of this topic.

Making Tahiti and Fiji/Pinnacle compatible game drivers is on my todo list, but not before I finish Innovation SID player.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 30 of 31, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vmunix wrote:

I know, the problem is sometimes although they are electrically compatible, physically they are not you can't place the card back into the ISA slot, and viceversa.

The Rio synth that came with the Monterey was physically very similar to the WaveBlaster CT1900 and they are electrically compatible, so don't trow the towel yet.

I imagine you could use an IDC ribbon cable to extend the waveblaster connector away from the board to overcome the physical dimensions.

Reply 31 of 31, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bristlehog wrote:

Making Tahiti and Fiji/Pinnacle compatible game drivers is on my todo list, but not before I finish Innovation SID player.

This all sounds awesome 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto