VOGONS

First post, by joe6pack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I purchased an 60GB IDE hard drive to replace the 2.1GB drive in my Thinkpad 385ED. I've read posts on a couple different sites from people who have successfully put a 60GB drive in this machine.

I cannot get the thing to boot. The BIOS just won't recognize the drive at all (nor the CD drive when this HD is hooked up). The drive is good, I've tested in another machine. I know the drive is larger than the BIOS will read, but I can't even get it to show up in the first place. Am I missing something obvious here?

Thanks.

EDIT: Well, that was quick. I figured it out already. Since this post will probably show up on google, this is the solution:

The drive needs a small partition (I made it 2.1GB) for the BIOS to even recognize that there's a disk attached.

EDIT2: Actually, the solution was something more strange. The system would not recognize the hard drive with the top cover installed. Without it, works fine:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/868877/IMAG0066.jpg

Something must have been shorting, who knows.

Reply 1 of 2, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks like part of the caddy is missing, I was going to say that the max limit for a lot of these vintage pentium era and older Thinkpads is 8GB. Once you get around the little glitches and do some tweaks they are fantastic machines.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 2 of 2, by joe6pack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The top part of the caddy and the spacer are removed in that picture. I couldn't get everything to sit right with the new drive while the top and spacer were on.

After a lot of troubleshooting, the REAL culprit was bad solder joints for the IDE connector:

ytghhj.jpg.jpg

Hard to tell from that picture, but nearly every single one was lifted off the board.

Fixed it up and everything is working lovely now. I'm using some OEM version of Ontrack I found on an old Western Digital CD. Set up all my partitions for DOS, OS/2 and Windows 95 with room to grow 😎