VOGONS

First post, by b_rros

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi! I bought this 386/486 Goldstar a few days ago, it was full of dust but after a few washes it looks good as new if a little yellow 😀
Even the PSU went to the shower, anyway I left it in the sun for a few days and everything is working fine I think, but I can't get the computer to pass fom the first screen (last picture). I allways get a message saying 'please lock the keyboard'. I tried to disconnect the keylock wire from the motherboard but get the same message...

Does anyone know what is this message?

Thanks

TNWuB0Jl.jpg

WFlLjgfl.jpg

BhyNcsRl.jpg

v40PMM1l.jpg

ZWjtdrDl.jpg

njRq8qSl.jpg

Last edited by b_rros on 2015-03-07, 20:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 16, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are not many variations, but they aren't all the same. The lock may have a number on it like 102, finding a key with the same number as the lock should work in theory.

I remember years ago throwing a bike lock away because my keylock and caddy keys could open it... Probably not good given that I was riding it to an IT firm for work nearly every day.

You could also try shorting the two pins out for the keylock instead of disconnecting it, some systems have their logic reversed for the keylock.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 11 of 16, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very nice. Ti486SLC WITH l2 cache!

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 12 of 16, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
b_rros wrote:
That's what I did, I cut the cord and separated the two wires, problem solved! Installing Ms-Dos, let the fun begin :) […]
Show full quote

That's what I did, I cut the cord and separated the two wires, problem solved!
Installing Ms-Dos, let the fun begin 😀

G029xxJl.jpg

Do you have a youtube movie to see the system running?

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 14 of 16, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't get the situation with DIP28 sockets. As far as I know, it depends on bus width. 386SX can have 3 or 5: 2 for each bank of cache and one extra for TAG; 386DX can have 5 or 9: 4 for each bank and 1 extra for TAG. But why 6?

Reply 15 of 16, by b_rros

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, bear in mind these are my first videos, they are nowhere near philscomputerlab videos 😀 and the DOOM one is not even in HD because I cannot upload more than one HD video per week in the free plan.

The computer recognize only 64kb of cache, I don't know if that's what is installed or if some of the chips are bad, I will look into that later, other than that, everything is working great, sound blaster pro 2 sounds great 😀

When the sun arrives in Portugal I think I will try to retrobright the case...

This was what I did to the keylock wire:

38VgdHil.jpg

And everything in place:

na5k0Gll.jpg

The Videos:

Booting up, playing DOTT and Sherlock Holmes: https://vimeo.com/121731563

Trying to play DOOM: https://vimeo.com/121733742

Last edited by b_rros on 2015-03-11, 15:24. Edited 1 time in total.