Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 7060 of 53139, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HighTreason wrote:

Never met another synth that allows adjusting master volume remotely, it damaged the input on one of my sound cards with that behavior. I think overall it was a short sighted design decision to implement that.

How? What kind of input?

I have hooked up all kinds of things that shouldn't be hooked up to a soundcard and yet to blow an input

Reply 7061 of 53139, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some days you get really lucky and strike a great deal. It was one of these days. Some guy was selling locally a Tualatin 1.4 on a QDI Advance 10T for a mere 25E. I quickly snatched it, went home and was even more delighted to find that it the 512KB chip too! Kind of a steal and now I have a working Tualatin system 😁.

I should note that this is the case it came with, along with some other stuff like a Radeon 9250.

Attachments

• WP_20150317_002.jpg
    Filename
    WP_20150317_002.jpg
    File size
    1.41 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • WP_20150317_001.jpg
    Filename
    WP_20150317_001.jpg
    File size
    1.37 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 7062 of 53139, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My first reaction was ISA+PCI+AGP+PCIe? 😀

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 7064 of 53139, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yep. I disabled all the internal sound card crap, removed the 9250 and shitty stock heatsink and installed some of my own cards.

System is now flying with Aureal Vortex 2, GeForce FX 5700 and ThermalTake Copper cooler. As much as you can fly with a GeForce FX card anyway, I'd reckon this is about as fast as a Ti 4400-4600 for the most part 🤣 .
Only thing that's slightly disappointing is that overclocking is not really an option with this board, it only allows me to increase the bus to 136MHz, so I might as well leave it on stock 🤣 .

Reply 7065 of 53139, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

^ that's a useless AMR slot IIRC

I never did understood the point of AMR, ACR, CNR, or any of those things. I own a modem that fits one of those, but I've never used it in anything (got it for free with a box of stuff). Those riser things came out when things like audio were already getting integrated into system boards, and modems were already available freely for PCI, so what was the point?

Reply 7067 of 53139, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have a few AMR and CNR modems, around here dial-up was the prominent connection until the mid-2000s so they were immensely useful, cheap and easy to obtain.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 7068 of 53139, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HighTreason wrote:

Have a few AMR and CNR modems, around here dial-up was the prominent connection until the mid-2000s so they were immensely useful, cheap and easy to obtain.

IIRC, they were US mostly because of the legislature (the FCC analog devices certification). Never seen any in my country...

By the way, can someone tell me the last ASUS motherboard model with ISA support? There is the archive.org but maybe someone know the answer right here?
Tnx.

Reply 7069 of 53139, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IIRC, it was P3C2000, but I would STRONGLY recommend not to use it ever. P3B-F would be the best way to go, if you ask me.

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 7070 of 53139, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gamecollector wrote:
HighTreason wrote:

IIRC, they were US mostly because of the legislature (the FCC analog devices certification). Never seen any in my country...

Actually, I never saw them in stores, but every Computer Fair and LAN Party that came had this guy who sold them.

That guy was cool, because he used to carry CD's in his pocket and could remember what order they were in without looking. He sold hardware stupidly cheap (Was about 99p per modem), sold pirate software and also sold food such as "PK Crisps", "Dr Pop" and at one point "New Coke/Coke II" alongside "Crystal Pepsi", "Galak" (Milky Bar) and some arabic versions of common food and drink... One time he had these Pepsi cans with Cyrillic writing on them too so I guess those came from Eastern Europe. Sometimes he got a phone call from a bloke called Dean and would wheel his stall out into his car before disappearing, only for Police men to show up a few minutes later. He also used to call Dean if he spotted someone selling software he didn't have so that Dean could bring him some copies to sell cheaper.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 7071 of 53139, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

HighTreason that guy sounds like he had a pretty sweet setup going on! (not that I support illegal activities by any means) He sounds like a James Bond villian xD

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 7072 of 53139, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I Just bought this board. An Abit AB-PB4 with an unkown CPU and unknown memory. Untested.

Abit AB PB4. (Bad image from the auction)
AbitABPB4untested.jpg

The price was 49 US which seems reasonable compairing with other boards on sale inside the EU. The shipping was also 49 US which isnt reasonable at all but I haggled the price for the board down to 30 US to make up for the unreasonable shipping cost.

I do not like to buy untested stuff but when it comes to nice 486 gear it seems to be the only way to avoid paying through the nose. At least the board dosnt have a barrel battery that can leak all over.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 7073 of 53139, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gamecollector wrote:
IIRC, they were US mostly because of the legislature (the FCC analog devices certification). Never seen any in my country... […]
Show full quote
HighTreason wrote:

By the way, can someone tell me the last ASUS motherboard model with ISA support? There is the archive.org but maybe someone know the answer right here?
Tnx.

I'm in the UK, and I own either a AMR or CNR modem, not to mention I've seen motherboards with said slots over here as well.

Reply 7074 of 53139, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gotta love it when someone is selling "Miscellaneous Card", you buy it...
CP3D-Wrapped.jpg

... and it turns out to be...
CP3D.jpg
...Canopus Pure3D Voodoo1 w/ 6MB in mint condition. 😎

Today was a good day.

Reply 7076 of 53139, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Picked up a beige LCD monitor.

IMAG0178.JPG
Filename
IMAG0178.JPG
File size
99.2 KiB
Views
File license

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 7077 of 53139, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
alexanrs wrote:

It was supposed to be useful for OEMs, but never for the general public. I have no idea why so many retail boards have it.

Probably because the royalty payments are less than if they used a PCI slot.You don't even need a PCI slot if all you're going to use it for is a 56k modem. You can get by with a lot fewer pins making the board around that slot a little easier to design.

Reply 7078 of 53139, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
alexanrs wrote:

It was supposed to be useful for OEMs, but never for the general public. I have no idea why so many retail boards have it.

Probably because the royalty payments are less than if they used a PCI slot.You don't even need a PCI slot if all you're going to use it for is a 56k modem. You can get by with a lot fewer pins making the board around that slot a little easier to design.

That would be fine if it was a general data bus (even a slow one). but making it a audio interface and relying the CPU to do the work is a stupid idea.

Reply 7079 of 53139, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Generally CNR is a good try. It's PnP, have both USB and AC'97 signals. Can be software or hardware. And CNR slot can be shared with PCI slot.
The only question is - IIRC there are 2 versions of CNR pin-outs. So maybe these two versions are incompatible and supports not all features all-at-once.
But AMR?
The only positive thing - AMR slot can be shared with ISA slot.