VOGONS

First post, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Inspired by this old thread: MSCDEX Research

Few days i have installed ms-dos 5.0 on my 286-12 machine.. Today i wanted to installing my 1x cd-rom drive in this system.. But I found out that ms-dos 5.0 doesnt have the MSCDEX.exe installed in the Dos directory..

Yes very stupid.. Iam looking for this cd-rom (i call it manager).. But i also read that i need to have install version 2.22 or version 2.23
I also see that this manager requires a lot of memory.. So i like to know are there alternatives for dos 5.0? If not what would be the best version to install (which installs the easiest with less usage of memory)

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 1 of 11, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No, no bumping 13 year old threads. Locked old topic, split this off to new one in Marvin.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 2 of 11, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have the cd-rom running, but iam still look for an alternative (less memory consumption) for that mscdex.exe manager.. Does somebody knows any?

Reply 3 of 11, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

SHSUCDX is a widely used one. Honestly, MSCDEX usually works better for me, and you can reduce its memory consumption a little bit by enabling it to use EMS (I believe it is the /E switch).

Reply 5 of 11, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most software that requires a CD-ROM is capable of using XMS/EMS anyway in my experience.

Is SHSUCDX what FreeDOS uses? What about DR-DOS? Maybe you can lift their CD-ROM programs.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 6 of 11, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is there a difference in memory consumption on version 2.22 and 2.23 of mscdex.exe?
So if i read it right, there isnt really an alternative for this mscdex.exe cdrom manager?

Reply 7 of 11, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

With 100% compatibility I'm not sure. Perhaps the utility included with DR-DOS is a good solution. Regardless, as long as you use /E (and have EMS) MSCDEX memory consumption isn't that bad, specially if you tweak your memory managers to get a decent amount of UMBs.

Reply 8 of 11, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have EMS option on that 286 Headland motherboard.. But did not installed an EMS driver so far.. I have installed 4MB of ram in this system.. But it can be split in different sections..
So there is a part for conventional memory, (iam also looking for an UMB driver) and it has also an XMS part and a EMS part on that 4MB of ram.

Reply 9 of 11, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OT but is there any particular why reason you are using a 1x cdrom? They are very limited in the CD format types you can use.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 11 of 11, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's the reason I asked the question, to determine what setup he has. His machine may well be able to use slaved IDE or faster ide cdrom off a sound card ide header. I've certainly done that in the past using a 286.

In Robins case it just may be a "period correct" thing, which is ok as well.

Of course something like a parallel port Backback cdrom reader fuctions fine as well with faster cdroms. Something I use on my Zenith 286LP Plus due to the fact I can not install an internal cdrom reader because of its very small form factor.

As for the memory the driver uses a decent memory manager, such as QEMM might might help.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉