VOGONS

First post, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought this mb from a flea market,it was cheap,came with a Pentium D 805 and the stock intel cooler.
On visual inspection the mb has no visible problems,no bulging caps,nothing missing,no scratches or interrupted traces.
Problem is when i power it up i get a black screen and nothing else,cpu cooler starts,cpu and nb get warm,but i get no beeps from it nothing.
I tried with the pentium D it came,also with another pentium 4 i have and of which i know it's working and a 1 gigabyte ram stick.
Also i cleared cmos.
Anything else i could try?or should i trow it out.

Reply 1 of 10, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Check for bent pins and/or bits of old cooling paste in the socket.
You could also test the board with another PSU and/or other memory to see if that makes a difference.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 2 of 10, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did check the pins and 2 of them where sligtly bent,now they ok but still same problem.
I only have 2 identical 1 gig ddram's so can't try that atm.
Also tried 2 power supply's both 300 w,1 no name and 1 fortron and on both i got same results,will have to try with a more powerfull psu.

Reply 3 of 10, by Dropcik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Try testing it with a different graphics card, and try using only one stick of ram (or different stick), and try it in a different slot if it doesn't start up. If it doesn't come on then, you will want to try to reseat the cpu or replace the cpu. check for any thermal grease that has seeped off onto the board and if there are any bent pins on the cpu socket.

Ayy LMAO

Reply 5 of 10, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've seen many of them dead. Wild guess: weak vrm that could not feed the dual prescott.
Another guess: it's not a r3.0, right?

Core i7-13700 | 32G DDR4 | Biostar B760M | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 32" AOC 75Hz IPS + 17" DEC CRT 1024x768 @ 85Hz
Win11 + Virtualization => Emudeck @consoles | pcem @DOS~Win95 | Virtualbox @Win98SE & softGPU | VMware @2K&XP | ΕΧΟDΟS

Reply 6 of 10, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GeorgeMan wrote:

I've seen many of them dead. Wild guess: weak vrm that could not feed the dual prescott.
Another guess: it's not a r3.0, right?

Nope it's a r.2.0

I tried with a different more powerfull psu and nothing.
Used a processor that i know it's working and still nothing.
Tried different agp videocards,integrated video and even a pci card,nothing.

And yes i tried also without memory and it doesn't beep,and that's why i think the mb is dead.

Reply 7 of 10, by Dropcik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just looked at the motherboard on asrock, It doesn't beep because there is no speaker 🤣

http://www.asrock.com/mb/photo/775i65G%28L1%29.jpg

Ayy LMAO

Reply 9 of 10, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dropcik wrote:

I just looked at the motherboard on asrock, It doesn't beep because there is no speaker 🤣

http://www.asrock.com/mb/photo/775i65G%28L1%29.jpg

I connected a speaker to it so it should have beeped.