VOGONS

First post, by devlin44

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone, this is my first post, I hope it's in the right section.

If you had to choose one of these cards to run in a 486 machine just for DOS gaming, which would be your pick?

1) AV 307 - this is probably Audio Excel 307. I found only one picture of this card in google from vogons, but it doesn't have those 2 chips on the right and no AV307 inscription like the one I own.

Chyny6Gh.jpg

2) Sound Commander Pro - is it some kind of SB Pro or Pro2 clone?

oj1eUmz.jpg?2

3) Asound Pro - it has YMF719-S and YMF704C-S chips

D5LezPn.jpg?2

Have not tested them. Appreciate all responses, need a card that will be compatible with most DOS games.

edit: broken link

Last edited by devlin44 on 2015-04-30, 08:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1) Zoltrix Audio Plus 6400 PnP V.2

2) Mediasonic Sound Commander Pro

MediaSonic was established in 1993 in an effort to revolutionize the field of multimedia technology.

The company's management and R&D departments are located in the Tel Aviv area. The manufacturing facility is located in Yokneam near Haifa. In addition, the company has a marketing office in Woodland Hills California. In total the company currently employs 25 people.

sound155.jpg

I had no experience with any of them though. For the third card, if it's based on Yamaha's 719 chipset, then it's a good variant for SB Pro and OPL3 music.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 2 of 4, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ditto on the 719. SB Pro compatible and should work with most games.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 3 of 4, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The ASound Pro YMF card is great, but it needs IMO to be modded. JP2 has 2 soldered wires to make it configured to Speaker Out, so i advise to solder some jumper pins so one can make the card Line Out selectable as well. This will make the card very silent and with good SnR for such a cheap card.

The YMF chipset capabilities are well known, and the 704C is also included which means that you have General MIDI available, although with 1MB only. Itt won't be as good as a DB60XG but again for the price of the card it is actually pretty decent. I liked it.

Reply 4 of 4, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just try them all, pick the one that you think is better and then post back your results.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉