VOGONS

First post, by Chaniyth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I recently picked up 2 VESA Local Bus graphic cards. One is a S3 805 [not really sure of the cards brand] the other is a S3 Trio64 [Paradise Bahamas64 brand?].

I've not fully tried out the S3 805 yet except to see if it works however I've been using the S3 Trio64 a lot since I received both cards yesterday.

On the Trio64 I'm experiencing really bad "rainbowing" issues with all Build engine games. For non-Build engine games some times the "rainbowing" will show up in game videos but not always. Every other game I've tried looks great though.

The motherboard is an M919 v3.4B/F , no cache ram stick (misplaced the darn thing somewhere), AMD AM5x86 CPU, 24mb ram. This motherboard is only for testing the VLB boards. I'll be replacong it and using a Gigabyte GA-486VS motherboard as so as it arrives.

Any ideas what is causing the "rainbowing" colors for Build engine games and certain videos/games but not others? Is there a fix?

Thanks in advance. 😎

All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you. 😁

Reply 1 of 18, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Im pretty sure thats memorry issues.
I had the same problem with one Voodoo 1 MX card.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 3 of 18, by Chaniyth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

What bus speed are you running?

Good question, I'm not sure so I'll have to check in a bit. I know the AMD AM5x86-P75 is running at its default speed of 133Mhz so I'm assuming a 33mhz bus speed.

All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you. 😁

Reply 4 of 18, by Chaniyth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stojke wrote:

Im pretty sure thats memorry issues.

I been thinking that to but if it were wouldn't all games look messed up? Tombraider, Quake, etc 3D games look just fine, 2D games also look fine. I'm not sure how many megs of ram the cards have, I know there's 2 chip sockets that are empty on the board.

Reply 5 of 18, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Same happened to me. Some times works fine, some times awesome rainbow of death.
Might be a cold solder joint.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 6 of 18, by Chaniyth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I just tried Build engine games with the S3 805 VLB card and the same issue, really weird for 2 separate VLB graphic card to have the same issue, so I'm thinking the problem may be in the M919 motherboard (it's a PCChips motherboard) or possibly its VLB slot is bad.

I checked for cold solder joints on the cards and everything looks fine.

Guess I'll know for sure once the Gigabyte GA-486VS motherboard comes. I really hope it's not the VLB cards.

Reply 7 of 18, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you tried underclocking the FSB? It's PCChips so I wouldn't be surprised if it is finnicky even when not using high bus speeds.

Reply 8 of 18, by Chaniyth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
alexanrs wrote:

Have you tried underclocking the FSB? It's PCChips so I wouldn't be surprised if it is finnicky even when not using high bus speeds.

Not yet. I might not tinker with that motherboard anymore since I'm expecting a better one soon, and will test those VLB graphic cards on it, hopefully successfully without them doing that weird rainbow of colors.

Reply 9 of 18, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a Hercules Terminator 64 DRAM VLB based on Trio64 that also has funny colours *sometimes*. I assumed it was bad memory, but maybe the IC is bad somehow. It was the first S3 product with an integrated RAMDAC, so who knows.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 10 of 18, by Chaniyth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just a quick follow up. The Gigabyte GA-486VS board arrived today and the S3 Trio64 VLB and S3 805 VLB cards are working just fine and great without any rainbowing effect! Rocking Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, etc like a boss! 😎

So the culprit was definitely that piece of crap PCChips M919 v3.4B/F motherboard. Blech! 😵

Reply 11 of 18, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Which 486 processor are you using?

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 12 of 18, by Chaniyth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Robin4 wrote:

Which 486 processor are you using?

Currently an Intel 486DX4-100 in that M919 I was using an AMD AM5x86-P75

Reply 13 of 18, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can you do some performance comparison between Trio64 and 805? I'd like to see Phil's benchmark suit done on the same platform but with different graphic cards. If possible also Windows 3.11 or Windows 95 with Winbench 3.11 and Wintach 1.0 - when and if you find the time 😉

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 14 of 18, by Chaniyth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kixs wrote:

Can you do some performance comparison between Trio64 and 805? I'd like to see Phil's benchmark suit done on the same platform but with different graphic cards. If possible also Windows 3.11 or Windows 95 with Winbench 3.11 and Wintach 1.0 - when and if you find the time 😉

I'll see what I can do, however I can tell just by eyeballing it, the S3 Trio64 VLB board is faster than the S3 805 VLB board in DOS, i'll have to try out Windows 3.11 WFW but i'll assume the same can be said for it as well.

Reply 15 of 18, by Chaniyth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kixs wrote:

Ok here's what I pulled from Speedsys.

S3 805 VLB 1MB - 4780 KB/s

20150326_113427.png

S3 Trio64 VLB 1MB - 17841 KB/s

20150326_114156.png

Reply 16 of 18, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the Speedsys... now I'm really interested in Windows performance as my VLB Tseng w32 has the same VESA speed and I believe Trio64 is the last gen VLB graphic card.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 17 of 18, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i have the very same problem with the m919 and the amd P75 (133mhz) cpu. with a trident card Vesa

everything looks ok,untill i run doom, the title menu and gaming looks with different colors. like inverted but the colors are all different
i tried lowering the mhz to 100mhz and got the same result.

i tried the card on another motherboard with a dx2 66mhz and the card works perfectly

i dont know what is the issue on M919, maybe a bios setting? or jumper setting i dont think so

Reply 18 of 18, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The problem with my Trio64 VLB card (Hercules Terminator 64/DRAM) turned out to be cold solder joints, not a motherboard issue. Your issue is likely the M919. PCchips sucks!

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium