VOGONS

Reply 40 of 54, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ClamWin used to work in Windows 98, but the realtime module was somewhat inefficient and I don't know if they update it anymore.

Most malware doesn't run on Windows 9x anymore anyway.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 41 of 54, by The Serpant Rider

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The critical problem is, ClamWin's (ClamAV, Linux Version of that doesn't perform very well) performance is meh that it doesn't scan very well even I configured a lot. Is playing multiplayer (Red Alert, Tiberian Dawn, Doom with Zandronum/GZDOOM, etc) with this rig without any antivirus safe (I'd like to play with people on the VOGONS when I have my own DOS/Glide gaming rig)? I worry that virus such as Monkey.B is harmful for DOS/98SE environment.

P.S.
Currently, I have 2 BIOS update files that are non-tweak and tweaked version (1008f.004, 1008f3m.004). The tweaked version has clock unlock for Tualatin but I'd like to know which BIOS version should I use.

ОСЕНЬЮ

Когда сквозная паутина
Разносит нити ясных дней
И под окном у селянина
Далекий благовест слышней,

Мы не грустим, пугаясь снова
Дыханья близкого зимы,
А голос лета прожитого
Яснее понимаем мы.

Афанасий Фет, 1870

Reply 42 of 54, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Get VXD drivers for the Audigy. And search Vogonsdrivers (see the pinned topic) for the Platinum driver disk. For the Vortex2 I doubt ground-breaking bugs were fixed between minor revisions, the version you have is probably fine. Oh, and do not install DOS drivers for any sound card but the AWE64. Save yourself the trouble of having to manage the IRQs/DMAs for all that SB emulation since you have the real deal.

Also, unless you use that 9x machine to actively surf the web (and why would you, a more modern machine with XP+ is better suited for that), AVs are a waste of processor power.

Reply 43 of 54, by The Serpant Rider

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The VXD (AUDRVVXD.EXE) that you mentioned above I've already downloaded from the Creative Labs and this Platinum doesn't have DOS driver (Win98SE only). What about multiplayer with this rig (cuz I wanna play w real one not emulated one)? There's no 2050 on the Vogonsdriver (I'd tried a lot before asking question but couldn't) though.

ОСЕНЬЮ

Когда сквозная паутина
Разносит нити ясных дней
И под окном у селянина

Дыханья близкого зимы,
А голос лета прожитого
Яснее понимаем мы.

Афанасий Фет, 1870

Reply 44 of 54, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

P3 1400 + GUS ?

No good combination. In my tests everything faster then 700 Mhz made massive Problems
when using the GUS with Dos-Games / Demos / Soundplayers.

Currently I am using a PII-333. With this machine, there are no errors.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 45 of 54, by The Serpant Rider

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, that's why I'm dump GUS over Roland midi synthesizer, AWE64 Gold, Audigy Platinum EX, Vortex 2, MPU-401AT. Any idea to get vortex 2 2050 driver?

ОСЕНЬЮ

Когда сквозная паутина
Разносит нити ясных дней
И под окном у селянина

Дыханья близкого зимы,
А голос лета прожитого
Яснее понимаем мы.

Афанасий Фет, 1870

Reply 46 of 54, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

At the end it is always the same...it is simply impossible to build a DOS and Win9x/Glide System with only one machine.
My PII is quite good, but there are Dos Games/Demos that need a Pentium below 200 Mhz, on the other Hand, there are
some Win-Glide-Games that need about 700 Mhz in Order to work good.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 47 of 54, by The Serpant Rider

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My rig is mainly from mid 90's to late 90's (approx 95~99) instead of early 90's like Pentium MMX, Pentium 2

ОСЕНЬЮ

Когда сквозная паутина
Разносит нити ясных дней
И под окном у селянина

Дыханья близкого зимы,
А голос лета прожитого
Яснее понимаем мы.

Афанасий Фет, 1870

Reply 49 of 54, by Chaniyth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpant Rider wrote:

The critical problem is, ClamWin's (ClamAV, Linux Version of that doesn't perform very well) performance is meh that it doesn't scan very well even I configured a lot. Is playing multiplayer (Red Alert, Tiberian Dawn, Doom with Zandronum/GZDOOM, etc) with this rig without any antivirus safe (I'd like to play with people on the VOGONS when I have my own DOS/Glide gaming rig)? I worry that virus such as Monkey.B is harmful for DOS/98SE environment.

P.S.
Currently, I have 2 BIOS update files that are non-tweak and tweaked version (1008f.004, 1008f3m.004). The tweaked version has clock unlock for Tualatin but I'd like to know which BIOS version should I use.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, todays malware is pretty much un-effective for DOS/Win98SE environments. However just to be safe, I do recommend ClamWin for sure as it's the only remaining antivirus that supports Win98se and still has definition updates for it, and to "real time" scan install Clam Sentinel (disable it's auto-quarantine though as it tends to quarantine stuff that doesn't need to be [false positives]), and firewall up with the last version of Tiny Personal Firewall that supports Win98se. Then you'll be pretty well off safe. 😎

All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you. 😁

Reply 50 of 54, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpant Rider wrote:

The question part

• 9. Is there any good other than Evercool EC-ND-18 Socket A/ 462/ 370 FC-PGA (ppl said it's just an average brand like Cooler Master)?

The GlacialTech Silent Breeze II/III. Oh yeah. Great performance to size to price to noise ratio on that one. Fits both Socket 462 (Socket A) and 370.

The Serpant Rider wrote:
  • 10. Is Platimax 600W useful for such kinda retro rig? It's very hard do find PSU IDE cable 😢

One thing to note is that the power design of older hardware is different. There was a much higher demand for amperage on the 3.3V and 5V lines, whereas new computers have higher requirements on the 12V line. This means that even if you have a new PSU rated at a ridiculous 600W, it may be ill suited for a retro computer. Find a good quality PSU in the 250W-350W range from that era. It will have the proper connectors and it will supply more power on the lower voltage lines a retro computer is likely to require. Good power supplies come from FSP Group/Fortron and Q-Technology (not to be confused with the cheap knock-off Q-Tec).

As a general tip, look for memory modules that have memory chips on both sides. Higher density RAM was often not compatible with older hardware, even though it was compatible in name (PC100/PC133 SD-RAM).

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 51 of 54, by The Serpant Rider

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
falloutboy wrote:

Here you go 😀
Aureal Vortex 2 driver 4.06.2050.18_full_nodemos
http://www.filedropper.com/2050fullnodemos

Thx for giving 2050 drive for me 😀 (Although there's no demo to test for checking the Aureal 2 works)

Chaniyth wrote:

I wouldn't worry too much about it, todays malware is pretty much un-effective for DOS/Win98SE environments. However just to be safe, I do recommend ClamWin for sure as it's the only remaining antivirus that supports Win98se and still has definition updates for it, and to "real time" scan install Clam Sentinel (disable it's auto-quarantine though as it tends to quarantine stuff that doesn't need to be [false positives]), and firewall up with the last version of Tiny Personal Firewall that supports Win98se. Then you'll be pretty well off safe. 😎

Seems that I don't have any choice other than ClamWin, Tiny Personal Firewall. Thx for giving useful info for me 😊 I also have the latest version of the KernelEx. Will it be helpful?

leonardo wrote:

The GlacialTech Silent Breeze II/III. Oh yeah. Great performance to size to price to noise ratio on that one. Fits both Socket 462 (Socket A) and 370.

leonardo wrote:

One thing to note is that the power design of older hardware is different. There was a much higher demand for amperage on the 3.3V and 5V lines, whereas new computers have higher requirements on the 12V line. This means that even if you have a new PSU rated at a ridiculous 600W, it may be ill suited for a retro computer. Find a good quality PSU in the 250W-350W range from that era. It will have the proper connectors and it will supply more power on the lower voltage lines a retro computer is likely to require. Good power supplies come from FSP Group/Fortron and Q-Technology (not to be confused with the cheap knock-off Q-Tec).

As a general tip, look for memory modules that have memory chips on both sides. Higher density RAM was often not compatible with older hardware, even though it was compatible in name (PC100/PC133 SD-RAM).

At least this one looks pretty good for me compared to the Evercool 😀 Thx bro. Seems I have to look through other PSU if PSU back in the day was different (Corsair, Enermax is my fav brand). Btw, which memory w PC-100/PC133 (it is four 256 MB sticks instead of 2 512 MB sticks to give 1GB without any issue) should I go if Higher density RAM doesn't compatible w old rig?

P.S.
The 250W-350W PSUs (I searched Enermax 350w EG365P-VE from older posts on the VOGONS, I experienced with bad PSU was being blew up all of sudden that made me to choose the best PSU) that you recommend are like http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=q+techno … u+350W&_sacat=0? Which is the best ISA sound card combination for DOS games? Roland's MIDI synthesizer (MPU-401AT) w AWE 64 Gold or Graivs PNP/Pro (Roland for music)?

Enermax 350w EG365P-VE: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ENERMAX-EG365P-VE-FMA … =item3f49d8c398

ОСЕНЬЮ

Когда сквозная паутина
Разносит нити ясных дней
И под окном у селянина

Дыханья близкого зимы,
А голос лета прожитого
Яснее понимаем мы.

Афанасий Фет, 1870

Reply 53 of 54, by The Serpant Rider

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
falloutboy wrote:
@The Serpant Rider […]
Show full quote

@The Serpant Rider

Demos are separate available.

http://worknd.ru/A3DDemos.exe
http://worknd.ru/a3dwavet.exe

Thank you for giving A3D demos for me 😊 They were hard to search when I tried 😀

ОСЕНЬЮ

Когда сквозная паутина
Разносит нити ясных дней
И под окном у селянина

Дыханья близкого зимы,
А голос лета прожитого
Яснее понимаем мы.

Афанасий Фет, 1870

Reply 54 of 54, by The Serpant Rider

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
  • Updated Stuffs:

Monitor: SONY Multiscan CPD-200ES 17" CRT Monitor
    Speakers: Sprite's TH-8001 7.1 Channel 3,500W Speakers
    Headphones: Sennheiser PXC 450
    Midi synthesizer: Roland MT-32 (Old), CM-32L, SC-55mkII/88PRO
    Keyboard & Mouse: LG XPION Keyboard & Mouse
    Chassis: Lian-Li PC-8N
    MOBO: ASUS P3B-F Rev 1.04 With 2 ISA Slots
    Memory: Kingston SDRAM PC-133 1GB (four 256 MB sticks)
    PSU: ENERMAX EG465P-VE 24P 460W ATX Power Supply
    CPU: Pentium 3-S Tualatin 1.4Ghz 512Kb Pinmodded
    GPU: Voodoo 5 5500 AGP
    NIC: Intel PRO/100+ PCI Management Adapter
    HDD: 80GB Hitachi Deskstar IDE, 2 500GB Hitachi Deskstar IDE
    ODD: SONY DDU1615 Internal 16X DVD-ROM IDE
    FDD: SONY MPF920-Z 3.5 IDE/CU1 Internal, Teac FD-55GFR 5.25" 5-1/4 INTERNAL FLOPPY DISK DRIVE BEIGE
    Sound Card: Roland MPU-401AT ISA, Sound Blaster AWE 64 Gold ISA 32 MB, Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX PCI, Vortex 2 PCI
    Fans: StarTech FAN3701U 1U 60x10mm Socket 7/370 CPU Cooler Fan Copper Heatsink, 2 Noctua NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 PWM (w 2 NA-SAV2)
    Other Miscellaneous: PCI ATA-133 IDE Adapter Card, Socket 370 Slot 1 CPU, 5.25 & 3.5 Dual FDD Cable, 4 4-Pin 3-Wire Audio Cable CD/DVD-ROM drive to sound card, 2 PS/2 Adapters For Keyboard & Mouse, 3.5mm Stereo Jack Socket to Twin 6.35mm 1/4 inch Mono Jack Plugs Adapter Cable, 3.5mm Stereo Jack Plug to 2 x 6.35mm Mono Audio Cable, SIMMConn Gold, 72-pin SIMM, Behringer Xenyx 1002

Partition Scheme:

1st HDD: 80GB for Windows 98 SE (C:\, Label: Windows 98 SE)
    2nd HDD: 500GB for gaming & program (E:\, Label: Games & Programs)
    3rd HDD: 500GB for storage (F:\, Label: Storage)

It'll be the final verdict of my retro 1996-early 2001's non speed sensitive DOS/Glide Gaming Windows 98 SE rig 😀

P.S.

5V PSU reference: Re: ATX Power Supply for 5v oriented motherboards

For GlacialTech Silent Breeze II/III, I couldn't find dat fan at neither Amazon nor Ebay. So, I decided to go w StarTech FAN3701U 1U 60x10mm Socket 7/370 CPU Cooler Fan Copper Heatsink (searched from the Phil's Computer Lab, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLOI3_2-_Ug).

I finally managed to recall the names of the 7.1 speakers, keyboard & mouse that I have. That's why I'm adding their name in my list 🤣. Too bad that I wasn't able to remember name of the LG's 1366x768 LCD monitor (I know it is FLATRON but dunno the model specific name such as Flatron W1943c) 😒.

ОСЕНЬЮ

Когда сквозная паутина
Разносит нити ясных дней
И под окном у селянина

Дыханья близкого зимы,
А голос лета прожитого
Яснее понимаем мы.

Афанасий Фет, 1870