VOGONS

BIOS update on P5A-B

Topic actions

First post, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello, I recently acquired a P5A-B rev 1.04 to use with my K6-III+. I believe it came with BIOS 1.010, however, it needs a later one to properly recognize the CPU. Jan's Unofficial K6+ Compatibility Page states that 1.011 Beta, should do the trick.
However, do the BIOS updates differ from revision to revision? Is 1.011 Beta 5 the one I want to use? And if so, which program should I use for updating the BIOS?

If anyone's ever tried this or has knowledge of this, please help me out 😀.

Reply 1 of 4, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess I don't understand the question. Since Asus's site doesn't make a distinction for rev 1.04, I'd use the BIOS they provide for plain P5A-B. And the manual says use AFLASH.EXE. Which is all perfectly standard, so it can't be what you're actually asking...

So if you don't mind me asking, I'm intrigued - what are you worried about that I'm being blind to?

Reply 2 of 4, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

First off, thanks for the reply! Nothing out of the ordinary really. What you consider "perfectly standard", as you stated, wasn't really all that clear! I shall use AFLASH.exe then, thanks for clearing that up!

As far as the revision goes, the P5A and P5A-B came in multiple revisions, and the later ones (1.05 and 1.06) will not work properly with the K6+ CPUs (they run horribly slow). It's probably just like you said, that there's no distinction between the revisions and BIOS updates should work just fine across the board.
However, I'd prefer if someone that's tried the latest BIOS would post his opinion on it. Is it totally safe?

Reply 3 of 4, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can't really speak for P5A-B, but I use Jan Steunebrink's 1011 Beta 5 BIOS on a rev. 1.04 and on a rev 1.06 P5A board. I bet it's totally safe. 😉

Reply 4 of 4, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, that about settles it, since the boards are largely identical other than the form factor.
Thanks for helping out, I'll update the motherboard ASAP 😀.