VOGONS

IBM PC 350

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 29, by Tempest

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ODwilly wrote:

If there are no tabs then it is probably stuck on with thermal adhesive. Most likely just another mx card or maybe a TNT or TNT2

So if it is a TNT or MX would that be a better fit in my 350 than the TrioV64+?

--- AtariProtos.com ---
For when excellence and burnished fineries need to gently visit the warmth of your tablery

Reply 21 of 29, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Couple years to new, but you would have some 3D capabilities that the Trio64 lacks. TBH if the Trio does everything you want I would keep using it.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 22 of 29, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you're really stuck and have a quick eye, you can find out what almost any PNP device is if you disconnect your hard drive and wait for POST to pass or ask to be F1 skipped. The configuration table will be on screen and at the bottom will be a list of installed devices. There are two columns of four-digit numbers, Vendor ID and Device ID.

Those numbers can be looked up somewhere like this; http://www.pcidatabase.com/

Though if you have an XP machine, I'd bet it would probably detect and recognise that card natively in the OS anyway. Also, as the configuration table is actually useful information I am doubtful that an IBM system would even bother displaying it.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 23 of 29, by Tempest

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ODwilly wrote:

Couple years to new, but you would have some 3D capabilities that the Trio64 lacks. TBH if the Trio does everything you want I would keep using it.

Ok I'll just stick with the Trio and use the Nvidia stuff in my P3 system.

Is the Matrox Millennium better than the Trio?

--- AtariProtos.com ---
For when excellence and burnished fineries need to gently visit the warmth of your tablery

Reply 24 of 29, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Best DOS video card? Here is a good thread I found digging around trying to refresh my memory. I think the general consensus is that for old scrolling DOS games the Trio64 seems to be pretty much perfect.

Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 26 of 29, by Tempest

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I plan on running some Windows 95/98 games in addition to DOS stuff. I have the Matrox card in there now so I may stick with that and see how it goes. I used a Millennium card back in the day without problems.

--- AtariProtos.com ---

Reply 27 of 29, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

+1 on the Millenium and honestly if you find that you do run into compatibility issues with it I would put the Trio64 back in and add a Voodoo1.

Reply 28 of 29, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most issues with the Matrox cards in DOS can be solved by loading it's VESA driver as far as I know. They are generally a little faster than the S3, though as others have said the Trio is still a valid option if you do run into issues.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 29 of 29, by Tempest

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HighTreason wrote:

Most issues with the Matrox cards in DOS can be solved by loading it's VESA driver as far as I know..

Where can I get that? Is that something that needs to be loaded via the config.sys or is it an option in the game configuration?

Interestingly, when I was inside the system I noticed that the processor speed can be set via dip switches on motherboard. Speeds can be anything from 60MHz up to 200MHz (which is where it is now). This would be a very useful thing if there was a way to trigger this through software or from the outside as it's not easy to get the cover off. Is such a thing possible?

--- AtariProtos.com ---