VOGONS

First post, by CompuClassics

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So today, the Seagate 2.5GB Hard Drive died today on my machine I just gotten (UPDATE: It still works but when its making a click noise, it means its staring to suffer:( )

So I decided to use a Maxtor hard drive I pulled from another system since that was the only one I could get detected by the BIOS on the machines motherboard
it boots up to EZ-BIOS from 1997 and when I select the C Drive, it would say Invalid System Disc even though I can write files and stuff onto the hard drive just fine as demostrated with Windows 98 installing on it

Could you explain whats wrong here?

BTW: Machine I have uses a Asus TX97 Rev 1.32 Motherboard with a 200MHz Pentium MMX and 32MB RAM, ATI Mach64 Video Card, and a Sound Blaster AWE64

Reply 1 of 8, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So if I understand correctly. The old Seagate is dead. You pulled a working Maxtor out of another machine, and put it into this one.
And now it doesn't boot, giving a "Invalid system disc" error.

Is the BIOS set to auto-detect the new drive's properties? Or are they entered manually?
If entered manually, maybe the values for the old Seagate (Head, Cylinders, etc.) are still there, but are not compatible with the new Maxtor?

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 4 of 8, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nemail wrote:

a seagate which got hit by a truck at top speed is a better hard drive than any maxtor ever produced 🤣
/justtrolling

I also thought that - than I got stuck with four seagate DEAD 1TB 7200.11 drives and 380$ in the shitter. Never buying seagate again. The only maxtor drive that ever died on me is an old D740-6L Quantum Fireball Re-brand. And it died after nearly 8 years of service and 3-4 years of storage. The new seagates I spent a small fortune (for me at least) died in succession over a 1 month period. Old seagate drives are bulletproof. I have a 1,6GB drive in my 486 - beaten and battered, poorly stored over the years (was in a hardware pile in my attic - had bird poop on the electronics board) but works beautifully - same thing for the 20GB drive in my slot 1 rig.

P.S. - Seagate customer support was horrible during the 7200.11 incident - but I had some recent dealings with them, and things seem to have changed (for the better).

Reply 5 of 8, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

(Deleted. No longer relevant anyway)

Last edited by JayCeeBee64 on 2019-10-05, 20:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 6 of 8, by CompuClassics

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've also tried an old Western Digital Hard Drive and while half the time auto detect would detect the settings correctly, in the end it would say "Primary Master Hard Disk fail" in the startup BIOS Screen like in here

Last edited by CompuClassics on 2022-05-02, 21:18. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 7 of 8, by TandySensation

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

EZ-Bios is from maxblast boot disk, it's installs some sort of translation software on the mbr so that your system can access larger drives than it normally could, I use it on a 486.

The EZ-Bios should give you the option to boot from the floppy disk, press A then press enter to boot from a floppy after the ez-bios has loaded. From there you can install software/fdisk it.

If your computer doesn't need ez-bios because it can work with drives over 528MB boot from a CD or or floppy and use fdisk with the /mbr to remove ez-bios. I'm not certain if this will reset the disk back to normal, you might need to use maxblast boot disk to remove the ezbios if fdisk /mbr doesn't work.

Reply 8 of 8, by CompuClassics

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll try to give it one more try
I'll post back if it works

TandySensation wrote:

EZ-Bios is from maxblast boot disk, it's installs some sort of translation software on the mbr so that your system can access larger drives than it normally could, I use it on a 486.

The EZ-Bios should give you the option to boot from the floppy disk, press A then press enter to boot from a floppy after the ez-bios has loaded. From there you can install software/fdisk it.

If your computer doesn't need ez-bios because it can work with drives over 528MB boot from a CD or or floppy and use fdisk with the /mbr to remove ez-bios. I'm not certain if this will reset the disk back to normal, you might need to use maxblast boot disk to remove the ezbios if fdisk /mbr doesn't work.