VOGONS

ATI RV516

Topic actions

First post, by Splinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A mate just closed his shop and gave me a box of graphic cards which took me a while to figure out what they were.
Might just be worth getting a DMS-59 DVI adaptor for $5 to test them out.
Apparently they are 256mb cards, but have no recognisable markings apart from one that seems to have been dismantled.
2015-04-30%2018.01.56_zpsjzpnqavp.jpg
2015-04-30%2018.09.51_zpsqi38ngaj.jpg
2015-04-30%2018.02.12_zps4wikqcxt.jpg

http://www.compufixshop.com
Main rig Ryzen 2600X Strix RX580 32GB RAM
Secondary rig FX8350 GTX960 16GB RAM

Reply 3 of 8, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"took me a while to figure out what they were"
"have no recognisable markings apart from one that seems to have been dismantled"

You must not be around OEM parts much - that's an easily recognizable Dell P/N sticker on the outer edge of the card.

Squinting at it, I get Dell P/N something-0TM184-something-something

As learned a while back, drop that first 0 for even more results.

Dell TM184 | 0TM184 = https://www.google.com/search?num=100&s ... tm184+dell

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 4 of 8, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would've easily identified these as Dell OEM cards because Dell loved using that DMS-59 port. That, and the "REV. A00" and "DP/N" stickers on the cards are a dead giveaway.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 5 of 8, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sutekh94 wrote:

I would've easily identified these as Dell OEM cards because Dell loved using that DMS-59 port. That, and the "REV. A00" and "DP/N" stickers on the cards are a dead giveaway.

Yeah that too 🤣

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 6 of 8, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I hate DMS-59 because it seems like I always find cards that use it but not cables, and they are never mid or high end cards, but THE bottom tier that shipped with an OEM.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 7 of 8, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ODwilly wrote:

I hate DMS-59 because it seems like I always find cards that use it but not cables, and they are never mid or high end cards, but THE bottom tier that shipped with an OEM.

Usually these cards were stuffed into little SFF boxes that had to drive more than one monitor, so they had to be low power, cool running, etc and also have a connector setup that would fit into a half-height. Hence, bottom-tier GPUs with DMS59. At least DMS59 is somewhat standardized and fairly common - they've implemented less common connectors in the past (I have some Radeon VEs that use a Molex connector that looks like a hybrid between DVI and DMS59, for example).

Reply 8 of 8, by MrKsoft

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ODwilly wrote:

Honestly, the real problem with DMS-59 is that the dual-monitor adapters that have to hang off these cards are so heavy that they don't really stay secured. The screws on the connector barely help-- one bump and these things get loose enough to lose picture. I absolutely despise having to deal with these because of that.

The OPL Archive - Preserving MS-DOS music in a unified format!