VOGONS

First post, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I will say right off that I have never in my entire life installed, configured or used either an MFM or RLL hard drive. Although I've been fascinated by vintage computer hardware for many many years, it's only very recently that I've begun actually collecting and working with it. Therefore, my actual hands-on drive configuration experience is limited solely to IDE, SATA and whatever proprietary interface the Toshiba T3100 uses (Which only supports two models of drives, both hard-coded in the BIOS under a "pick one" selection menu).

I am planning to install a hard drive into my AT&T PC 6300. Perusing eBay brought me across a Seagate ST-250R 40MB RLL drive. The price was right for my desires, so I purchased it. While looking through the seller's other items, I came across a Western Digital WD1004-27X RLL drive controller card, also at a really good price. I shot off a quick question to the seller asking if it was the controller that originally came with the drive, he replied that it is not. But. after being told by a friend that "any controller will work as long as it's RLL", I went ahead and ordered the controller anyway, and got combined shipping on both parts for an even better discount.

Unfortunately, I neglected to do proper research before clicking the Buy Now button, and now I fear I may have bought an incompatible controller card. It IS an RLL controller and it WILL fit in the AT&T PC, that much I can confirm. Unfortunately, from the (very limited) information I can find, the drive configuration on the controller appears to be selected using only jumpers and not a BIOS or other setup program. The table of jumper settings lists only four different valid CHS configurations, none of which match the specs of the ST-250R. HOWEVER...along with that information is a tidbit stating the controller supports a maximum of "1024 cylinders", which implies that it should be possible to somehow configure the controller to operate a drive other than the four jumper-selectable settings.

My massive inexperience with MFM/RLL drives forces me to ask the experts...is the WD1004-27X controller compatible with the ST-250R drive? If so, what do I need to do to configure it, and how? I presume in this case I would disregard the jumpers and use a program or something else, but like I said, I've never done this before, so I have zero idea about what to do. I do have the original AT&T boot disks which, if I recall correctly, does have the debug program on it.. Unfortunately I currently have no ability to create further disks or add to the disks I already have in case a different program is needed.

Here is the page where I found the specs/setup info for the WD1004-27X controller: http://museum.ttrk.ee/th99/c/U-Z/20223.htm

Here is the page where I found the specs for the ST-250R drive: ftp://ftp.seagate.com/techsuppt/rll/st250r.txt

FYI, I have not yet actually received either part, and they are arriving internationally so it may be a couple weeks before I get them. I wanted to ask now, though, so I could be prepared for when they do arrive.

Thank you.

Reply 1 of 4, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Who told you that any MFM/RLL drive would work with any controller? In my experience that is not true. You may be able to get away formatting your 40MB drive as 30MB with the current card. Maybe it's possible to even use a software dynamic overlay to use the full capacity. I've only ever tried overlays on ATA drives, so not sure how that would work out.

I think the controller you want is probably the 1004(A)-27X. The notes indicate the 1002A-27X was the card it replaced. I once owned that card, and I remember it supported a wide variety of drives through the BIOS setup.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2 of 4, by appleiiguy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

if you can dump the bios then you should be able to change one of the drive table entries to match your drive.
Early mfm/rll cards were like that.
Ypu cpuld disable the cards bios and see if the 6300 has any drive tables that are a closer match.

http://www.classiccmp.org/cpmarchives/cpm/Sof … TAL/100427x.pdf

Reply 3 of 4, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I think the controller you want is probably the 1004(A)-27X.

That is the model I ordered, WD1004-27X. I am confused though because, as said, the jumpers indicate only four models/configurations of drives are supported, yet the instruction manual specifically states it will "work with any hard disk drive that has the ST506/412 drive interface and no more than 1024 cylinders and 16 heads", which the ST-250R definitely qualifies as (667 cylinders and 4 heads). This means there is presumably a method in addition or alternative to the jumpers to configure the controller to run any drive within the 1024/16 limit.

I've found references in my searches to using the controller's BIOS to low-level format the drive with the Debug command. Is this where I would put in any custom parameters? If so, I presume then the jumper settings are irrelevant. But, if not, what should the jumpers be? The manual has been linked in a previous reply, and as you can see they provide very little information beyond the functions of the various jumpers with absolutely nothing about how to configure a drive that doesn't match one of those four preset configurations.

Sorry if I'm asking any questions that even an infant should know the answers to, but like I said I've never ever EVER done anything even remotely like this, as I grew up during the era of Plug n Play and IDE autodetect.

Reply 4 of 4, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Note the A in the model name. It makes a difference.

G=C800:5 is normally how to access the card setup, but since yours has the configuration jumpers hardwired into the card I highly doubt you would be able to control it from the setup. If you want to use this card with your drive at full capacity, you will likely have to customise the BIOS as appleiiguy suggested.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium