VOGONS

First post, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi everyone,
Recently I got two new Socket 7 systems (in addition to the one I had) and now I'm wondering... what should I do with those? Their possible uses seem to overlap a lot, so I'd like some suggestions. Here are the systems I've got:

System 1:
Compaq Deskpro 2000
Pentium MMX 200MHz (did not try overcloking to 233).
VIA VP2/97-based motherboad. Max. 66MHz FSB. 256KB cache.
256MB RAM (all cached)
1MB S3 Trio64/VX2 onboard vídeo + single 8MB Diamond Monster 3D II
Yamaha YMF719-based sound card
ISA NIC
6GB HDD with Windows 98 installed. 32GB HDD size limit.

System 2:
Pentium 133MHz
PCChips M530/535 (not sure). Intel 430VX-based. Max. 75MHz FSB, but I've heard that's not stable.
256KB COAST cache, 32MB EDO RAM. (does have 2 SDRAM slots)
1MB Trident 9440 PCI graphics card.
No sound card for now (I did not have spare ISA sound cards, and puting my Live! here seems wrong)
ISA NIC
20GB HDD with MS-DOS 6.22, Windows 3.11 and Windows 98 installed. I think the patched BIOS allows up to 64GB HDDs.

System 3:
K6-2 366MHz
EFA P5MVP3-AT Viking 3. VIA MVP3-based. Max. 100MHz FSB. 512KB cache
128MB SDRAM
GeForce MX4000 AGP (oldest AGP card I had to spare)
PCI Crystal sound card. System hangs every now and then while booting when loading the DOS emulation drivers. Have not tested this emulation yet.
PCI NIC
40GB HDD with Windows 98 and OS/2.

I could, of course, buy a faster K6-2. Apparently K6-3 processors were never popular in Brazil, as I couldn't find one after a quick search, but we have plenty of K6-2 (non plus). But what would I do with a faster one that I'd rather not do on a Pentium 2/3? And the lower end one... maybe I should lower it to 1.5 multi and low FSB to run speed sensitive games?? But what (besides the DOS version of Warcraft II) would benefit from running in a slow Pentium? Maybe one of these systems should be doomed to the dephts of a closet?

Reply 1 of 9, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is no such thing as to many unless stacked to the ceiling. 🤣

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 2 of 9, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You could use all of them to configure the system you like the best, keep it, and then sell the rest. Then use the money to buy more retro parts of course!

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 3 of 9, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ODwilly wrote:

You could use all of them to configure the system you like the best, keep it, and then sell the rest. Then use the money to buy more retro parts of course!

I don't think I could easily part with any of them. I'm just trying to figure out what to do with them, or if I should leave some in storage.

Reply 4 of 9, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Set them all up with an identical OS and early LAN games like Quake, Outlaws and Doom. Put the computers you wont use often in an accessible storage location and have them ready to roll for retro lan party fun 😁 I would advise you ditch that pci Trident video card for another Trio64 or a Matrox card and add a SB16 or AWE card along with another 32mb of ram.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 5 of 9, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A suggestion: Keep one build to focus on games compatibility, keep another to focus on demoscene compatibilty, and the 3rd for testing components.

Reply 6 of 9, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here is what I worked out so far

1- I got myself an OPTi-based sound card with genuine Yamaha OPL. Put that on the Compaq, and moved the YMF719 card (but not the MIDI daughterboard) to the Pentium 133
2- Wired the turbo button on system 2 so the Pentium can be started @ 75MHz (50x1.5) and 133MHz (66*2). Switching the button on the fly changes the bus speed, but the multiplier is ignored until the system is powered off and on again, getting me 100MHz (50x2 or 66*1.5)
3- Moved the 20GB HDD to the Compaq, keeping the existing setup by copying the contents (including the propertary BIOS Setup partition) using a disk copy utility
4- Then got the 6GB HDD to the Pentium 133, nuked its contents and made it a dual-boot DOS 6.22+WfW3.11 and Windows NT 3.51
5- OCed the MMX chip to 233MHz, so it would more closely resemble "my" first PC ever (my dad's, actually)
6- I couldn't get the ISA NIC on the Pentium (NE2000 compatible) working for the life of me, so I moved the 3COM from the Compaq to the Pentium, and dropped some PCI NIC there
7- I goofed up when describing the boards, there is no 75MHz setting on System 2

After all that, the Compaq now has a sound card that sounds even cleaner, and a PCI NIC (and I think a 100MB/s PCI NIC makes more sense in a Win98 machine than a 10MB/s ISA one). The Pentium 133 is now a bit more versatile, has got sound and has a very well tuned DOS 6.22 install. I can load Smartdrive, UNIVBE, the packet driver and CD-ROM support in UMBs, still have some upper memory to spare and 615KB of free conventional memory. Surprisingly, I'm not having a lot of trouble with the Trident vídeo card... Warcraft II runs fine there, and so do WfW and NT.

The K6-2, sadly, is in a closet right now... I'm thinking about getting a higher end K6-2 or a Cyrix MII 333. The first would get me better performance, the second is the processor I had in my first PC that my mother got me, but I'm not sure it would be a good replica (the original had a PCChips cheap board, onboard crappy video on the AGP bus and áudio. I still have the old original keyboard, currently connected to the Pentium 133 and works perfectly), this PC looks too... decent.

Reply 7 of 9, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

order a K6-III+ from ebay?

Reply 8 of 9, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The board doesn't go below 2.2V