VOGONS

First post, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, many of you guys may know me about the problematic system that I got 🤣 so I decided to move ahead and try another mb (well a mb + cpu + ram kit), and I was kinda sad since I only could find only the bad SIS 530 mbs (without agp slot, and not many pci slots, plus weak onboard gpu)...
At my Research I found this guy, and ASIS P5A-B V1.04
Here's some pictures from the seller, so, does it looks fine? (it comes with a K6-II 533MHz [I think it's Over clocked] and 256mb sdram)
Also with that I could replace the ram and the cpu from the other mb that I have to test if the ram or the processors were bad, or, the motherboard itself.
I head this guy has 512kb l2 cache that could handle 256mb ram fine, also, a bios that can be upgraded from the mother board \o/...
So, should I check anything before I get this thing? (I already have an almost full lenght isa sound card and this mb at leasy support it, an pci ethernet, pci usb 2.0 and an voodoo 3 3000 agp.
I'm actually more worried about the sound card, because I think I'll not have enough free pci slots (the full isa slot is shared with the pci, damn u engineers), and then I would need to not use one pci slot or, try to twist a bit the jumpes to fit the isa sound card on the latest slot (and that's what I did on the other mb, almost all jumpes wasnt twisted just the power led that wasn't on the best position 🙁
kit-placa-asus-p5-a-b-k6-2-533m-cooler-256mb-2-isa-1-agp-121401-MLB20311108342_052015-F.jpg
kit-placa-asus-p5-a-b-k6-2-533m-cooler-256mb-2-isa-1-agp-839301-MLB20311116245_052015-F.jpg
kit-placa-asus-p5-a-b-k6-2-533m-cooler-256mb-2-isa-1-agp-726301-MLB20311115925_052015-F.jpg

Reply 1 of 17, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is a very nice Super socket 7 board, I have some doubts about it beeing able to handle more than 128 MB cached memory though?

I would not have any any problems my self with only beeing able to use 2 PCI and 2 ISA or 3 PCI and 1 ISA card but I normally do not use more than 1 or 2 sound cards.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 2 of 17, by PCEnthusiast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It isn't overclocked. I am not a PC expert but i could say it's fine. You don't have to worry about the PCI slots, they might fit (but not always, like on some ocassions).

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ @ 200 Mhz, 1360x768, Realtek AC 97 HD, Genius Model. NO KB-0120, ATi Radeon Sapphire 9600 SE

Reply 3 of 17, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is it just me or does that board have quite a bend?

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 4 of 17, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It seems to me that the surface this board was on when taking those pictures isn't flat as well (looks like a couch), so the board appears more bent than it really is. It might not even be bent at all to begin with.

Also, I don't think those jumpers would interfere much with a full-length ISA card. Worst case scenario, get an ISA NIC, and that should free up one PCI slot. AFAIK that isn't really needed... unless you need the transfer speed, such a late S7/SS7 board should have an USB 1.1 controller onboard, just make sure you get the pinout right. IMHO if the board supports the HDDs you want to use through the onboard controller, all you really need here is the NIC, the vídeo card and the sound card.

Reply 5 of 17, by PCEnthusiast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
shock__ wrote:

Is it just me or does that board have quite a bend?

Might be yes... that motherboard looks quite bended. But it's because the surface the board was standing on wasn't flat.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ @ 200 Mhz, 1360x768, Realtek AC 97 HD, Genius Model. NO KB-0120, ATi Radeon Sapphire 9600 SE

Reply 6 of 17, by Snayperskaya

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's a nice board. I still have mine (+K6-2 450MHz).

You can flash the BIOS to have 32+GB HDD support.

Reply 7 of 17, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I do have an isa nic but I never used it ( it came with the other Mb that I got.
I'm using an USB keyboard and mouse but if the Mb came with the onboard ps2 connector I could use it with the USB mouse, and the keyboard I could get a ps2 one with DIN adaptor.
One thing that I liked about that Mb is that you can check the temperature from the m. And the CPU, also you can check the voltage from the psu from all the lines ( this one idk if its a special version of this motherboard.)

Reply 8 of 17, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can clearly see the USB header on the pictures. All you need is the connector and the pinout. Also, it looks like one of those "combined" USB+PS/2 headers, so you might need to get the correct bracket anyway... it shouldn't be hard to find one, I myself have seen quite a few of them online in Brazil.

Reply 9 of 17, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

About that supported memory, is the chipset revision E?
You know, how much are cacheable and how much the board supports in total are two different things.

Cacheable:
http://www.amd-k6.com/cacheable-ram-on-socket-7-platforms/

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 10 of 17, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
alexanrs wrote:

I can clearly see the USB header on the pictures. All you need is the connector and the pinout. Also, it looks like one of those "combined" USB+PS/2 headers, so you might need to get the correct bracket anyway... it shouldn't be hard to find one, I myself have seen quite a few of them online in Brazil.

AFAIK its actually a combined USB + PS/2 + IR daughter-board (I've had an Asus S7 board or two that has one, and looks fairly similar to that). The "ATX Form Card" (http://www.ebay.com/itm/201346546874) As you say - they aren't all that uncommon. IIRC you can connect USB to the "USB half" of the connector too, as long as the plug fits. That, plus an AGP card, a sound card, and a NIC should be no problem with the available slots.

Reply 11 of 17, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brostenen wrote:
About that supported memory, is the chipset revision E? You know, how much are cacheable and how much the board supports in tota […]
Show full quote

About that supported memory, is the chipset revision E?
You know, how much are cacheable and how much the board supports in total are two different things.

Cacheable:
http://www.amd-k6.com/cacheable-ram-on-socket-7-platforms/

It looks like it's the Revision E (the one that could came with 512kb or 1mb L2 cache

Reply 12 of 17, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, since I may get another mb, I decided to try windows ME on the one that I have for now...
untill now, no boot freeze, the os already had the driver for the NIC, flashdrives and usb controller.
The voodoo 3 driver worked quite well and I actually saw some performance boost over it (compared to quake2) but, I got an weird problem with the audio driver.
it looks like the system doesn't know how to handle with their own sounds, because the rest works fine on it, all the system sounds (beep, shord, tadah,...) got a repetitive loop, and I know why, it's because the sound is sended to the sound card buffer, and it's played, but, since there isn't a stop sound, the ESS chip will continue to play in loop that buffered sound...
And since it only happens with windows sounds (videos, quake 2 and dxdiag worked fine), I don't need for now windows sounds.

Reply 13 of 17, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What is the sound card? AFAIK Windows ME ships with WDM drivers for EVERYTHING, and for older hardware you might have better luck using the official VxD drivers for Windows 95/98.

Reply 14 of 17, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

you dont want to run VxD's in ME, the old VxD drivers are what causes the instability everyone complained about with ME, if you need VxD's stick to 98

Reply 15 of 17, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
candle_86 wrote:

you dont want to run VxD's in ME, the old VxD drivers are what causes the instability everyone complained about with ME, if you need VxD's stick to 98

Not necessarily true. It was the immature System Restore implementation, the beta Internet Explorer (that permeated the entire system, thanks to it being intertwined with the shell) and a bunch of other stuff that got patched later that gave the system a bad name. For DOS gaming they are not ideal, since they have a fixed okay-ish SBPro emulation going on, and if his sound card has good DOS support on the VxD drivers that will usually be better.

Reply 16 of 17, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I experinced it and alot of other folks as well, matter of fact entire articles where written about not using VxD's in ME, and to make sure every device or expansion card you had, had Windows ME drivers made for it specifically.

Reply 17 of 17, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

the sound card is a maxi sound game theater 64 (ISA), it has windows 3.11 driver, 95/98 and windows 2000 (no windows me driver...)
With windows me the system was kinda stable, but the sound sux, I'm gonna try win 2k (even without ms-dos) and see what it does.
Maybe the newer system are more stable with an unstable hardware, or, my windows 98 cd is bad 🙁
EDIT:
nvm, the system hangs on the install process ... (it takes so many time to pass from the "Please wait message"), the keyb and mouse works, but when a question window is showed, I cannot use the keyboard and mouse anymore...
Well, I'll get that mb then, the K6-II will give a boost compared to the PMMX233.

One insteresting note.
CPU score on 3dmark99, on windows 98, it was 1500, and with 250MHz oc it was 1800. For some reason, I got 1930 on the stock clock over windows me 😮 (maybe because the sound card wasn't well installed)

EDIT2: Hm, I could install windows 2000 now, the audio driver works, the install problem was that it wasn't recognizing the driver for the usb 1.1 onboard, but I could work fine with the pci usb board (normally I use the usb 1.1 because it gives me more "performance)...
All in all, quake 2 score with sound is lower than win 9x score, but without sound it's higher than windows 98 and me (40fps, vs 38,5 from me and 38fps from 98)

Windows ME and 2K worked fine on my test, still no iuse, maybe my problem is related with a bad 98 cd, I may get a english one, since the portuguese one that I have may not be compatible with the unoficial flashdrive support